By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Everton - 17 oct - 12.30pm

growler

In regards to when the ball leaves the players foot, maybe a better idea is to freeze the frame when the sound of the ball being hit is heard. 

Or develop an AI that actually can determine decisions in the blink of an eye. Who cares if it goes all HAL on us, at least we can celebrate goals again. 

22 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Was a moment yesterday when that little fanny Rodriquez was again pretending to be hurt and we just played on and I’ve never wanted a goal to be scored more during a passage of play. 

Especially as Everton had the chance to kick it out themselves but they didn't

1 minute ago, Tommok said:

I wanted the penalty and to be playing against 10 men but kind of wanted to Pickford to stay on as their sub goalie is most probably better than him.

He made a couple of saves which kept them in it. 

Just now, psl said:

He made a couple of saves which kept them in it. 

Yeah that's where my theory fell down a bit.

But I assumed another keeper would've made those and certainly wouldn't have let the Hendo shot go in.

My theory didn't allow for a second VAR debacle either, obviously.

1 minute ago, Tommok said:

Yeah that's where my theory fell down a bit.

But I assumed another keeper would've made those and certainly wouldn't have let the Hendo shot go in.

My theory didn't allow for a second VAR debacle either, obviously.

Surely the place it falls down most is that they'd have had to take one of their players off to bring the keeper on?

2 hours ago, Gethin said:

It's a nonsense because feet and (foot!)balls are moving too much within each frame to get a determination that's as conclusive as they're making it out to be.

Yes, that is true and they seem to be taking it at the latest point at which the ball is leaving the boot. But as thats the basis for all decisions, that "glitch" is present in all decisions. For that reason, I dont get hung up on it.

5 minutes ago, Rory Fitzgerald said:

Yes, that is true and they seem to be taking it at the latest point at which the ball is leaving the boot. But as thats the basis for all decisions, that "glitch" is present in all decisions. For that reason, I dont get hung up on it.

They're obviously not though.  I've never seen a VAR freeze frame with a ball as far away from the boot as it is with Thiago yesterday.

44 minutes ago, billybunter said:

In regards to when the ball leaves the players foot, maybe a better idea is to freeze the frame when the sound of the ball being hit is heard. 

A microphone 30m away would register the sound a tenth of a second late.  With players moving in different directions that could be a metre or more of relative travel.

Why did the liner put his flag up against Virg? Thought they where told to keep them down on tight desicions let play carry on then for VAR to look at it.  If he'd have kept his flag down there would have been no whistle meaning a possible pen but a definite red card!! 

5 minutes ago, Redwire said:

They're obviously not though.  I've never seen a VAR freeze frame with a ball as far away from the boot as it is with Thiago yesterday.

The one I have seen is that the ball is "warped" and looks eliptical because they have frozen it when the ball is in motion and leaving the boot. In my initial post I wonder if AI cannot take over that part of the process rather than have human intervention. Can technology standardise the point at which offside is determined. 

The technology means that what were considered tight calls 2 seasons ago are now very clearly shown to be on or offside. I dont think it was ever contemplated that we'd have quite alot of decisions that would turn on the exact moment a ball was hit and whether a shoulder is offside. For those cases, the human factor in "freezing" the play and judging the point of the shoulder/arm is now the contentious part. 

If technology can provide an instantaneous "picture/decision" for ratification by the VAR ref (still human factor to make sure there is no reason to disagree with the freeze/lines) then it might help in the standardization of decisions.

3 minutes ago, Billy Talbot said:

Yeah, there's no reason for AI not to determine when the ball was played and the lines. I've been saying that for a while. Computers make much more difficult calculations. 

The reason not to, it seems is that refs like to stick their beak in.  

It would be like freezing a frame on a goal line decision and asking the ref to interpret the picture.

If the pictures are good enough for a referee to freeze/draw lines then its good enough for technology to do its stuff.

1 hour ago, Swipe said:

Was a moment yesterday when that little fanny Rodriquez was again pretending to be hurt and we just played on and I’ve never wanted a goal to be scored more during a passage of play. 

1 hour ago, Hassony said:

Especially as Everton had the chance to kick it out themselves but they didn't

And then as soon as the ball went out of play he was all of a sudden not in pain and just wanted someone booked

6 minutes ago, Guy_Incognito said:

And then as soon as the ball went out of play he was all of a sudden not in pain and just wanted someone booked

He’s a horrible snide prick.

Everton seem to have accumulated a few of them.

Edited by Leo No.8
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, anfieldgaz said:

Why did the liner put his flag up against Virg? Thought they where told to keep them down on tight desicions let play carry on then for VAR to look at it.  If he'd have kept his flag down there would have been no whistle meaning a possible pen but a definite red card!! 

Not sure about definite red card. The ref didn’t seem interested in that aspect and he was looking directly at it