By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Everton - 17 oct - 12.30pm

growler

13 minutes ago, scoose said:

The Aussie rugby league version of this is miles ahead. The refs are miked so everyone can hear what they are saying to check for. The VAR ref talks through his findings.

The captain of each team gets one captains challenge for on-field decisions which then will get looked at by the VAR ref. Again both on-field and VAR refs are miked. If the challenge is correct they still have a valid one. If it isnt then they have wasted it.

Our refs are too f***ing arrogant and dont see this as a tool to help them. They see it as a negative and a threat. They are a f***ing joke

It seems all other sports manage this better than football, and all other leagues seems to have less problems with VAR than the Premier League. The officiating in England truly is atrocious. The PGMOL and the FA are truly bringing the game into disrepute, as the phrase goes. 

Just now, Hassony said:

Wait, you're telling me Moss is under 45 years of age? 

49. Looking it up... it turns out FIFA stopped the 45 years limit on the grounds of ageism but now refs get evaluated annually once they reach that age.

1 minute ago, Cam said:

49. Looking it up... it turns out FIFA stopped the 45 years limit on the grounds of ageism but now refs get evaluated annually once they reach that age.

Was watching him at the weekend, he was basically reffing the whole game from the centre circle, and was too lazy to whistle for any fouls

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Carragher suggested that.

Imagine having the likes of Howard Webb back in the game though.

exactly

the current refs are s*** - they were also completely s*** before - Reed, Dowd, Bennett, D'Urso, Riley, Rennie, Winter

save for Durkin, who was hardly immune to the odd ricket, they are all best retired and away from the game.

30 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

I don’t understand why they use current refs. Surely the retired ones are best placed to do this? There’s no conflict of showing a colleague up for a start.

any of us could do it.

Why they have to make such a song and dance over the laws. Make them f***ing simple and accept you'll never get 100% consistency.

1 minute ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

any of us could do it.

Why they have to make such a song and dance over the laws. Make them f***ing simple and accept you'll never get 100% consistency.

Aye, make offside based on the feet position only, and if it takes longer than 10 seconds, then it's too close to call and give it to the attacking team 

Lot's of questions with the Van Dijk incident obviously but surely, at the very minimum, the ref should have been asked to have a look at it on the monitor. I really can't understand why that's not happening more often.

• Like 1

Who out of our ex players gets to play Everton soonest? Hopefully they leave a boot in on the prick(s) 

Lallana probably has a bit of snide in him 

Just now, Boca said:

Lot's of questions with the Van Dijk incident obviously but surely, at the very minimum, the ref should have been asked to have a look at it on the monitor. I really can't understand why that's not happening more often.

Yup and when it has happened it has proven very worthwhile in overturning decisions. 

I think they can also apply context, like the coming back from an offside position. Mane wasn’t really advantaged by being there, and given his body shape and the direction he was going possibly worse off than being 2 yards closer to the ball. In other sports they can not award fouls based on whether it made a positive difference such as pass interference in NFL. So now we have VAR they could in theory contextualise things and bring in something that assesses if someone has gained an advantage from being offside.

Like if someone’s head is offside and their legs aren’t they’re off balance so it should be play on. They need to rip it up and rewrite it cos it needs some grey area to not be ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Boca said:

I can hear the c*** Coote telling Oliver: "Nothing to it, goalie was going for the ball in a fifty-fifty and oh, wait, it's offside anyway so you needn't bother with it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hassony said:

Aye, make offside based on the feet position only, and if it takes longer than 10 seconds, then it's too close to call and give it to the attacking team 

Feet position only does away with all this etch-a-sketch bulls***. Also, as in the NFL can only overrule the on the field decision if there is a clear and obvious error. The ref or assistant always goes and looks at the monitor.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, D.Boon said:

Feet position only does away with all this etch-a-sketch bulls***. Also, as in the NFL can only overrule the on the field decision if there is a clear and obvious error. The ref or assistant always goes and looks at the monitor.

I can't think of any other sport where they don't include the referee in the replay process. 

I genuinely don't get the "officials saw it during the game so we're not going to look at it again" rule. Not only should they scrap that, they should allow clubs to cite incidents of foul play that they want looked at again - and it should be an independent panel reviewing them

1 hour ago, Hightown Phil said:

I don’t understand why they use current refs. Surely the retired ones are best placed to do this? There’s no conflict of showing a colleague up for a start.

Depends how old they are.... 

My grandad used to play Tetris on my Gameboy with one hand (and fail miserably) as couldn't get his head around using two hands to use the device.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hassony said:

be was basically reffing the whole game from the centre circle

That's been a bug-bear of mine for a while now. They tend to ref from the middle third of the pitch and I guess there's two ways to view it: They say it gives them a clear view of the game, allowing them to make informed decisions based on the wider build-up of play and unencumbered by the tangling of nearby limbs whereas on the other hand I say they're all a set of fatherless w**kers who are biased and/or corrupt. 

1 hour ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

Rennie was excellent until he started believing his own press

Rennie wasn't excellent he like Winter played to the cameras and thought the game was about them. Rennie got a bloody sponsored boot deal ffs. Let's not go misty eyed about past refs, some of them were attention seeking bellends and would be just as awful now. Main difference between now and then is the absence of the fear and influence of Ferguson.