By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Coronavirus

Tosh

48 minutes ago, RBM said:

This is true, both my kids, who are 7 and 5 are really worried about it, I don’t remember having these levels of worry when I was a kid

Was mostly about nuclear war for me. And Chernobyl didn't help.

Edited by drdooom

26 minutes ago, jimbolala said:

I'm working from home for a while, gave them a simple choice, let me work from home or I'll stay at home and do no work. The sensible choice prevailed

I think at some point in the next week we will be told we can work from home. They have already asked us all about our home set ups and if its feasible. One guy commutes from Bury to Liverpool every day, getting a bus, tram and a train. He's already been told he can work from home. 

The owners of our building on Old Hall St update us each day on what they are doing to help. They have put posters up and added more soap and hand gels in the bathrooms but doesn't stop the dirty c**** who just walk straight out. 

I think if one of the offices in the building has a case then they might close the building as we all have to enter via the same revolving door 

A couple of Cambridge colleges have shut down (no direct infections) - saying come back in September. But not all of them, nor the Uni itself. Sounds like a microcosm of the Country as a whole

RBM - mine was nuclear war at age 12+. I lived in Norfolk so watching armed F111s and B52s fly over and knowing cruise missiles were being delivered a few miles up the road focused my mind quite a bit.

When I visit Norfolk now I am still surprised how quiet the skies are.

4 minutes ago, Barnesy_10 said:

I think if one of the offices in the building has a case then they might close the building as we all have to enter via the same revolving door 

They seem to be only testing people in hospital now, for us ordinary folk anyway.  So you are unlikely to see a case unless someone is hospitalised. Figures are hopelessly skewed. 

Been in the spare room since yesterday. I have a very light, not persistent cough, and a bit of a headache from time to time. 99% sure it's just a small cold or something but i'm obviously paranoid. Particularly with a baby in the house.

Not sure what to do. Not sure if i need to do a 7-day stretch or just see how i feel day to day. I think I can call the HSE tomorrow and see if my symptoms warrant a test. 

My daughter turns one tomorrow too. Haven't held her since Friday. Rubbish all this innit.

4 hours ago, redjersey said:

What they're proposing for the over 70s is going to turn social-distancing into enforced social isolation and exclusion.

This article on the BBC says "The self-isolation measure would mean people being asked to remain at home without visitors and with groceries and vital medication dropped off for them on their doorsteps". For 4 months.

That level of isolation might protect their physical health but at a real cost to their mental well-being. 

Yep. Loneliness is a thing. Not exclusive to the elderly of course, but it has been huge problem, around for a long long time before coronavirus. Social care visitation time periods have been cut to the bone. Multiple evidence of this. Out sourcing to private companies whose aim is to ensure their directors know how to party on Necker Island.

So if this policy is enforced, it cannot be enough to drop off groceries and f*** off. Proper social time spent with elderly people must be allocated, somehow - even with Covid free people who had previously had the virus - it's one way of testing the veracity of their proposed solution.

Dunno - I'm all over the shop, but proposals from some on here are encouraging.

There are zero cases in The Highlands as yet, but UK laws in this regard will pay to us too, of course.

Lots of oldies on their own up here, even in our township of about 250 people. Going to try and arrange a community hall meeting this week. See how we go.

Keep well all, especially 440,000 in Seville.

13 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Been in the spare room since yesterday. I have a very light, not persistent cough, and a bit of a headache from time to time. 99% sure it's just a small cold or something but i'm obviously paranoid. Particularly with a baby in the house.

Not sure what to do. Not sure if i need to do a 7-day stretch or just see how i feel day to day. I think I can call the HSE tomorrow and see if my symptoms warrant a test. 

My daughter turns one tomorrow too. Haven't held her since Friday. Rubbish all this innit.

Fever?

19 minutes ago, Swipe said:

f*** sake, that is awful. Feel for you there, lad.

Hope whatever decision you make is supported by whoever you call in a proper definitive way.

1 hour ago, RBM said:

This is true, both my kids, who are 7 and 5 are really worried about it, I don’t remember having these levels of worry when I was a kid

I'm 48, we were in fear of nuclear armageddon at any moment in the late 70s and early 80s.

Whilst i can see the logic, one thing that puzzles me about herd immunity is why did we not let SARS zip round the globe. Why do we not get cases of it now? Its a Coronovirus that seems to have been stamped out by the measures taken in the far east at the time rather than working its way through the population? Is it because this thing is way more contagious?

2 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

Castleford v St Helen's on the telly. Biggish crowd in. Seems odd.

COBRA decided old people and rugby League fans were expendable.

3 minutes ago, Case said:

f*** sake, that is awful. Feel for you there, lad.

Hope whatever decision you make is supported by whoever you call in a proper definitive way.

Cheers pal. As I say, i am almost certain it's just a little bit of a cold. What a f***ing time to get it.

Speaking of (the island of) Ireland...

The Republic is about to implement near total lockdown according to my brothers.

But the North (Guided by Voices such as Johnson, Hancock and those bald nerds) are presumably going to be carrying on sending kids to school and having social gatherings until they're given 10 minutes notice to isolate everyone over 70 for months.

So what happens along the border? Are people going to be more or less vulnerable.

I'm genuinely confused.

1 minute ago, Swipe said:

Cheers pal. As I say, i am almost certain it's just a little bit of a cold. What a f***ing time to get it.

Let's hope so. I'm sure you'll be chucking your wee one in the air and catching her before long.

I can still see my Ma's eyes when my Dad did this with my younger brothers. He had a 98% success rate when sober.

Guys we can’t go on like this

we can’t have a Corona virus thread that goes on like this for months

im not saying anyone is doing wrong or suggesting we do anything in particular - more of an observation of where we are and where we’re gonna be... a kind of microcosm or whatever the term is

And we’re gonna end up clinically insane at this rate 

Edited by Molby

We employ over 300 in the construction sector over 16 sites. 
we’ve been working on contingency plans all weekend, and anticipate some sort of shut down in the next 7-10 days. Whether this is forced by our clients, the Government, or our own call as to what we think it right. 
we’ve had no lead from the Government, apart from what we’ve seen in the press or our research. 

We are going into crisis mood, and making whatever preparations we think are necessary. This will have serious financial consequences for all, businesses included. Plus I think it will take 12-18 months for things to get back to “normal”. 

19 minutes ago, Cunny said:

I'm 48, we were in fear of nuclear armageddon at any moment in the late 70s and early 80s.

Yeah, but we had Hollywood to reassure us via a never ending series of s***e films that the West would win out.

Not sure Rocky v Corona really works.

3 minutes ago, Molby said:

Guys we can’t go on like this

we can’t have a Corona virus thread that goes on like this for months

exactly. if this goes on til the summer and all the ticks and mozzies are out, we could be talking about Corona and Lyme at the same time