By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Welcome Darwin Núñez

Frosty Jack

3 hours ago, Hassony said:

He's a good player and he's already contributing to us, and one of the reasons why we're too,   but I'm not sure things will click suddenly and all of these efforts will start going in 

Maybe Drogba is a better comparison. Don’t think he always did massive numbers but he was always massively influential. 

Think he had the odd insane goal tally seasons but he often finished with about 15ish goals a season but was probably one of the first names on the Chelsea team sheet. 

45 minutes ago, Ibby said:

It's a weird one though isn't it. He makes us a better football team but we bought him to score 20-25 a season. At this rate we are going to have to spend massive on a Mo replacement if he goes to Saudi for a pay day

Olise please

• Upvote 2

06-07 Drogba got 20 in the League & 33 overall, 09-10 he got 29 & 37

his other seasons he managed 10 in the League 04-05, then 12, 8 in 08 but injured, then 5, and his last 2 seasons 11 & 5 again. So aside from 2 seasons where he really improved his numbers he was a goal every 2.7 games

His one on one wasn't a good effort but he was a bit unlucky with the other chances. 

He's been a poor finisher who gets loads of chances since joining us. If his finishing improves a bit he'll get plenty of goals.

Edited by PaulMcC186
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PaulMcC186 said:

If his finishing improves a bit he'll get plenty of goals.

We’ve been saying this for a season and a half. How long before we accept that this is peak Nuñez? I guess Klopp privately admits it isn’t good enough for a team that wants to win the league and the European Cup. Meanwhile he has to back Nuñez in public. 

One of the most annoying things is that if some of his efforts were half a yard to the side he’d prob be on 12-14 too. Fine margins but he really needs to start making them count. 

Need Fowler in as a finishing coach in for him for the next 12 months 🤣

9 hours ago, miceal said:

We’ve been saying this for a season and a half. How long before we accept that this is peak Nuñez? I guess Klopp privately admits it isn’t good enough for a team that wants to win the league and the European Cup. Meanwhile he has to back Nuñez in public. 

Klopp could drop him but he rarely has this season.

1 hour ago, PaulMcC186 said:

He wasn't picking him at the start of the season, was he?
If Jota had been fit the last few weeks it might have been a different story.

1 hour ago, PaulMcC186 said:

It's a Catch 22 though, he's not going to get into the goalscoring groove if he doesn't get games.

Although he's not getting into the groove when he does have games either.

Someone else can try finishing this...

And you could score
Most occasions
Come on
We're bloody waiting

Get into the groove
Boy, you've got to prove
You can score a goal, yeah
Stay up on your feet
Yeah, step to the beat
Boy, when will it be?

Goals can be such a revelation
Running around, offside on occasion
You could score if the rhythm is right
We hope your scoring bloody starts tonight.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Someone else can try finishing this...

And you could score
Most occasions
Come on
We're bloody waiting

Get into the groove
Boy, you've got to prove
You can score a goal, yeah
Stay up on your feet
Yeah, step to the beat
Boy, when will it be?

Goals can be such a revelation
Running around, offside on occasion
You could score if the rhythm is right
We hope your scoring bloody starts tonight.

Darwin probably couldn't.

Bdum t'sh!

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, LicK said:

He wasn't picking him at the start of the season, was he?
If Jota had been fit the last few weeks it might have been a different story.

3 hours ago, PhilM said:

It's a Catch 22 though, he's not going to get into the goalscoring groove if he doesn't get games.

Although he's not getting into the groove when he does have games either.

I think if Klopp thought he didn't have the potential to be good enough he'd drop him. I agree he probably needs to play regularly to improve.

14 minutes ago, vitch said:

Leave Darweezy alone! We are top of the league thanks to his impact on the games.

A take that can't be registered even on the Scoville scale

Edited by Earl Hafler

On 02/01/2024 at 18:07, Romario said:

Maybe Drogba is a better comparison. Don’t think he always did massive numbers but he was always massively influential. 

Think he had the odd insane goal tally seasons but he often finished with about 15ish goals a season but was probably one of the first names on the Chelsea team sheet. 

He was their main grock up front for Mourinho's hoofball

I think a season and half into his Liverpool career, if it hasn't happened yet, it is unlikely to ever happen.

Darwin will continue to be a nuisance, will score goals, but will never be an accomplished finisher and will miss plenty. 

Happy to be proven wrong. 

1 hour ago, Swagger said:

I think a season and half into his Liverpool career, if it hasn't happened yet, it is unlikely to ever happen.

Darwin will continue to be a nuisance, will score goals, but will never be an accomplished finisher and will miss plenty. 

Happy to be proven wrong. 

See, if he were just poor overall I could understand this sentiment. But it's literally only his finishing he really needs to improve on, which is probably the most confidence influenced skill in football. And he's probably finishing at the worst rate of his career right now. There's a lot of reasons to think this is not as good as it gets. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Kid Klopp said:

See, if he were just poor overall I could understand this sentiment. But it's literally only his finishing he really needs to improve on, which is probably the most confidence influenced skill in football. And he's probably finishing at the worst rate of his career right now. There's a lot of reasons to think this is not as good as it gets. 

I agree. In the warm ups v Newcastle his shooting was brilliant. Flying into the top corners. So he had the technique but it’s just the composure. 

I’m not 100% sure on the time line but wasn’t he out for a long time with a knee injury when he went to Benfica and then probably played in empty stadiums when covid hit. Just wondering if the move to Liverpool is quite an overwhelming jump. 

4 hours ago, Kid Klopp said:

Absolutely,  he's having a good season,  apart from scoring 

And fwiw, he is still in double figures goal wise for the season overall 

Keita got about 3 seasons from many people, 4 from some of contributing absolutely f*** all and being defended as worth persevering with. Odd that Nunez gets such a hard time when he's influencing every game.