By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

First Liverpool game at Anfield...

Jim D

Just to kill some time till the Barcelona match thought it would be interesting to see what was your first Liverpool game at Anfield. Use the list below to answer:

Date:

Opposition:

Location in ground

Starting Line Up:

Final Score:

Goalscorers:

I'll go first...

18th December 1995

Manchester United

Kop End

James, McAteer, Wright, Scales, Harkness, Jones, McManaman, Thomas, Barnes, Collymore, Fowler.

2-0

Fowler x2 scored a brilliant curling free kick at the Kop End and then scored in the last minute at the Anny Road end. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Date: 25/09/04

Opposition: Norwich City

Location in ground: Kop

Starting Line Up: Dudek, Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise, Alonso (Diao 65), Hamann, Warnock (Biscan 77), Luis Garcia, Baros, Cisse (Traore 71).

Final Score: 3-0

Goalscorers: Baros, Garcia, Cisse

The first game was Keegan's debut in August 1971 v Forest - he scored after about 10 minutes - and we won 3-1.

Went in The Paddock with my dad, who passed me up to some fella in the front row on the Main Stand and I sat next to him in an empty seat.

Clemence

Lawler

Smith

Lloyd

Lindsay

Hughes

Keegan

Thompson

Heighway

Toshack

McLaughlin

Edited by MarkD

First I remember

Date: 8 April 1981

Opposition: Bayern Munich, European Cup Semi Final 1L

Location in ground - Lower Kemlyn - near the Kop

Starting Line Up: Clemence, Neal, Thommo, Hansen, Alan Kennedy, Ray kennedy, Sammy Lee, Terry Mac, Jimmy Case, The King, Rushie

Final Score: Nils

Goalscorers: none

16/01/1999
Southampton
Kop

James, Babb, Heggem, Bjornybye, Carra, Matteo, Redknapp, Berger, Ince, Fowler, Owen

7-1
Fowler (3), Matteo, Carragher, Thompson, Owen... The scousest 7-1 ever?

remember listening to that on the radio as I was decorating the first house I bought - in South Woodford....9 months later I moved to NY 

The first game was Keegan's debut in August 1971 v Forest - he scored after about 10 minutes - and we won 3-1.

Went in The Paddock with my dad, who passed me up to some fella in the front row on the Main Stand and I sat next to him in an empty seat.

Clemence

Lawler

Smith

Lloyd

Lindsay

Hughes

Keegan

Thompson

Heighway

Toshack

McLaughlin

hang on - you must have been no older than about 2 then?

No recollection of this whatsoever, but it's one of those things that is set in stone.

3rd April 1965

Stoke City

Anfield Road

3-2

Milne, St John & Hunt

Lawrence, Lawler, Byrne, Milne, Yeats, Stevenson, Callaghan, Hunt, St John, Smith, Thompson

It was an early 6th birthday present

18th April 1987

Nottingham Forest

Kop

3-0

Dalglish, Whelan, Ablett

Grobelaar, Ablett, Hansen, Gillespie, Venison, McMahon, Whelan, Johnston, Dalglish, Rush (sub. Aldridge), Walsh

Ablett's debut, on which he scored his only LFC goal.

RIP

4th May 1987

Watford

Main Stand

Hooper, Gillespie, Venision, Spackman, Whelan, Hansen, Dalglish, Johnston, Rush, Molby, McMahon

1-0 Rush

I told John Barnes to join us afterwards. He did....I'm taking the credit for that

4th May 1987

Watford

Main Stand

Hooper, Gillespie, Venision, Spackman, Whelan, Hansen, Dalglish, Johnston, Rush, Molby, McMahon

1-0 Rush

I told John Barnes to join us afterwards. He did....I'm taking the credit for that

Probably mentioned this before but my day was blue all of his life but surprised by saying that he wanted to see this match with me. So, we stood on the Kop and watched it together. Afterwards, I asked him why he had wanted to go and he said 'to make sure that he (Rush) had finally gone.'

Date:  06 October 1987

Opposition:  Blackburn Rovers, League Cup

Location in ground:  Anfield Road End, possibly with the away fans but not sure.  Loads of Rovers fans to the left of us in the opposite corner to where away fans are situated now (iirc).

Starting Line Up:  Grobbelaar, Venison Lawrenson Hansen Nicol, Johnston Wark Whelan Barnes, Beardsley Aldridge.

Final Score: 1-0.

Goalscorers: Aldridge, last minute (though I didn't think it was that late) from a controversial corner that was allegedly kicked just as Beardsley dropped it.

Went with my dad, brother and his mate.  Recall parking up by some new houses near Goodison (which I'm yet to refind) and walking for ages in the cold.  DJ George played Sam Fox at halftime (possibly "I Surrennder").  My memory is everything was very dark - especially the Kop; I just have it in my mind are being very black rather than the usual red-dominated colour-fest it is now.

Edited by Cam

Date: 21st September 1994

Opposition: Burnley (Coca Cola Cup Second Round, First Leg)

Location in ground: Lower centenary

Starting Line Up:

David James

Stig Inge Bjornebye

Rob Jones

Neil Ruddock

John Scales

Steve McManaman

Jan Molby

Jamie Redknapp

John Barnes

Robbie Fowler

Ian Rush

Final Score: 2 - 0

Goalscorers: Scales, Fowler.

My brother Tim and his mate Leon took me, the ticket was £8.

Edited by Stanley Leisure

31st October 1996
CWC 2nd leg vs Sion- Score 6-3. Sat in the main stand. 

We had won 2-1 away in the first leg so I thought I was guaranteed an easy ride for my first game. We immediately went 2-0 down before McManaman scored before half-time. Bjornebye then levelled the score with a free kick only for Sion to score again (and to be in line to qualify due to the away goal rule). Barnes then scored a backheeled goal before Fowler grabbed a brace. Berger wrapped up the game with a late goal.

James, Scales, Babb, McAteer, Matteo, Bjornebye, Barnes, Thomas, McManaman, Fowler, Berger. 
Subs: Warner, Ruddock, Redknapp (replaced Scales after an hour), Kennedy, Collymore (was the beginning of the end for him already. He was left on the bench following some disciplinary issue if I remember well). 

15 May 2005 v Villa

Liverpool 2 Aston Villa 1,

Both goals by Djibril, theirs by GazBaz

Carson, Riise, Pellegrino, Josemi, Carra, Kewell, Xabi, Nunez, Biscan, Warnock, Cisse.

Abiding memory was the Villa fans singing "Champion's League, You're having a laugh"

Oh, how we laughed

First Liverpool game was away at Norwich (grew up in Norfolk). It was the John Fashanu game

Edited by Tosh