By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Welcome Ryan Gravenberch

Chewie

He doesn't do much but he looks good doing it. I think Klopp will get a tune out of him though. He seems like he's in the same limbo Jones was about 9-12 months after he broke into the first team squad when he was transitioning from the player he was at youth level to the player Klopp wants him to be and was overthinking everything and getting caught on it loads. Gravenberch's natural game seems to be just run at everyone at all times no matter where he is on the pitch but I think Klopp will make him more functional and then like Jones once he's doing the fundamentals right the skills will be able to come out at the right time. He needs to get much better off the ball though.

• Like 2

Fine to be patient sigh him. He hasn't played enough football of late and clearly has a lot of ability. Also, he'll give the ball away a fair bit given the type of player he is.

Shouldn't be starting if we have a fully fit midfield

I am not in a rush for him to be good. It can take time to learn how to midfield the Klopp way and he looks patently uncoached (e10h for ya). He's one for next season.

All the same, I don't really want to see him starting against anything but utter rabble at the moment. Elliot has been better than him and should be getting starts ahead of him. Let him come on as a sub where his drive on the ball can be more impactful.

47 minutes ago, PaulMcC186 said:

I think he should currently be our last choice of the senior midfielders.

See my point above - he's really not senior. Much younger than Curtis, barely older than Elliott (who really is extraordinary, the more you think about it, he's closing on 100 appearances for us at 20)

1 hour ago, Dan said:

I reckon he'll be fine. Won't be this season though.

Yep same. As we get to the #businessend of the season Klopp often settles on an XI and you’d imagine Grav will be on the bench (injuries notwithstanding). But there’s something there. It’ll need coached.

Was very bad last night. 

Edited by Swipe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, D.Boon said:

Looks like an athlete who doesn't really understand how to play football.

Yeah, agreed, but the good news is that by all accounts he was Klopp's no.1 target over last summer so he must think there is a magnificent player in there. I mean it took nearly four months before he even allowed Fabinho on the pitchfor any proper games, could be that RG is ahead of schedule. But he's clearly nowhere near where Jurgen thinks he could be.

Edited by charlie clown

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah he's quite raw. But he's also young and didn't have the benefits of a full Klopp preseason. The fact he has legs and can move around on them automatically makes him a better option than the midfield last season.

• Haha 2

He is very talented but will be frustrating for a while - the potential is huge though, just needs patience.

It is a little surprising how raw he is after 100 first team games for Ajax and Bayern, but I think he’ll be worth it. 

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Probably 2 months out if not the season knowing our luck. 

But I’m hopeful it’s something similar to what Gakpo suffered at Spurs when his ankle got trapped under Udogie’s foot, we feared the worst but ended up being 2-3 weeks.

You can see after he went off we went into a sticky patch for 10-15mins and lost rhythm.

Edited by Binomial

3 hours ago, Swipe said:

Only thing that little c*** caicedo did. 

Really thought he was the real deal at Brighton,  but he just looks out of his depth at a big club, just went around kicking people around and his passing was very poor 

3 hours ago, Hassony said:

Really thought he was the real deal at Brighton,  but he just looks out of his depth at a big club, just went around kicking people around and his passing was very poor 

Think he looks exactly what you get if you give someone his age that kind of contract when you’ve only ever spoken to his agent.  So long as he doesn’t get physically damaged that’s his priority in any game he plays til someone else replaces him.  He’s ruined til he sorts his head out whatever his chances were before.

51 minutes ago, smithdown said:

Think he looks exactly what you get if you give someone his age that kind of contract when you’ve only ever spoken to his agent.  So long as he doesn’t get physically damaged that’s his priority in any game he plays til someone else replaces him.  He’s ruined til he sorts his head out whatever his chances were before.

Might depend what he wanted from his career. If his ambition was financial security for himself and his family (as opposed to winning stuff), he has achieved that. It is really hard to judge the merits of any of those individual players in such a basket case of a club and team though

6 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Might depend what he wanted from his career. If his ambition was financial security for himself and his family (as opposed to winning stuff), he has achieved that. It is really hard to judge the merits of any of those individual players in such a basket case of a club and team though

Yeah, this.  Pretty likely that a whole bunch of them, including Caicedo, can actually play.

12 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

think it’s got to be hard to overcome when they’re on such mad contracts 

if all you’ve got in the stands is the occasional one man went to mow why would I be arsed when I’m already on a million quid a month for the next seven years?  Main thing on my mind at that age would be to avoid any injury that might hamper me getting my legover and that is all.

5 hours ago, Hassony said:

He's not at a big club you dafty! 😂 

It's just a really wadded small club

• 1 month later...

Thank f*ck we won, but not sure I want to see much more of Gravenberch this season unless we are comfortably winning. The term soft noodle always comes to mind. It's like he's got zero fight, and can't really do anything right at the moment. Obviously not as bad as some of his performances suggest, but the difference between him and Jones (who has been out for much longer than Grav was) was astounding. 

• Like 1