By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Joe Gomez

Dan

36 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

Bullied a bit today.

They also just let him have the ball, like teams used to let Carragher have the ball (and covered our other players), as they knew he wasn't gonna do anything with it. Not that we should expect him to create anything, but it seemed a clear tactic to let him have it and then wait for a mis*** pass (or bad control as with the foul that led to their goal)

• Upvote 2

The concerning part of the mistake is that we will have loads of those situations across a season i.e. CBs playing passes on halfway line against low blocks.

Conceding from a free kick on the half way line is a team problem, not Gomez.

Its very frustrating that the team's performance, aligned with that mistake from Gomez and then the goal coming from that, are the key things from the game.

Arguably (but I don't want to argue), Van Dijk had a bad decision (1st half) and bad execution (2nd half) that also added to the result. However, its also less relevant to compare a defender's basic job against a defender's contribution to the attack.

4 minutes ago, Rory Fitzgerald said:

The concerning part of the mistake is that we will have loads of those situations across a season i.e. CBs playing passes on halfway line against low blocks.

Conceding from a free kick on the half way line is a team problem, not Gomez.

Its very frustrating that the team's performance, aligned with that mistake from Gomez and then the goal coming from that, are the key things from the game.

Arguably (but I don't want to argue), Van Dijk had a bad decision (1st half) and bad execution (2nd half) that also added to the result. However, its also less relevant to compare a defender's basic job against a defender's contribution to the attack.

Virg should have scored 3 times. 

1 hour ago, Zoob said:

They also just let him have the ball, like teams used to let Carragher have the ball (and covered our other players), as they knew he wasn't gonna do anything with it. Not that we should expect him to create anything, but it seemed a clear tactic to let him have it and then wait for a mis*** pass (or bad control as with the foul that led to their goal)

Yep noticed that as well

1 hour ago, kop205 said:

f***ing mad that people are singing Gomez out after that 

Don't think he's being singled out 

Gomez, Jones, Fabhino,  Virgil, Firmino,  Salah,  Klopp all got a fair share of the criticism 

On 22/10/2022 at 13:24, Dan said:

Reminding me a bit of Lovren. He's obviously better but has that big error in him.

prescient

read yesterday - it's unverified so dunno - that we've conceded 7 goals from defensive errors this season & Gomez has made 4 of them.

That aside, the whole defence is garbage right now - we'd go seasons without conceding a peno - this season we've conceded 5 already

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...