By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Some RIPs

Nathan Explosion

41 minutes ago, Barnesy_10 said:

Yeah every time I rewatch old footage and see it it gets to me... Must have been crazy being in amongst it. 

I was there, age 18, with my 15 yo brother who a skinny bugger. Our usual spec was just in front of one of the barriers right in the middle of the Kop. After the Fairclough goal I lost sight of my brother for a few minutes, but a couple of the older guys we had come to know had kept an eye on him.

At the time, we didn't think anything of those surges, they were part of the fun of the games. Looking back at them it was a hell of a ride.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, The Hitman said:

That surge after the goal looks scary.

It does, but whilst that was probably exceptional in its size and ferocity, it was a regular occurrence back then. I remember when I first started going the surge was always dead exciting - you'd end up thirty yards from your original spec but it was also pretty terrifying because if you got wedged against one of the crash barrier things you had the force of hundreds of other people crushing you on to it. Genuinely scary, especially at the age of 12 or 13 when you're one of the smallest people on The Kop.  

• Love 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:26, charlie clown said:

It does, but whilst that was probably exceptional in its size and ferocity, it was a regular occurrence back then. I remember when I first started going the surge was always dead exciting - you'd end up thirty yards from your original spec but it was also pretty terrifying because if you got wedged against one of the crash barrier things you had the force of hundreds of other people crushing you on to it. Genuinely scary, especially at the age of 12 or 13 when you're one of the smallest people on The Kop.  

On 12/11/2021 at 12:26, charlie clown said:

First time I went I was wondering why some earylish arrivals picked specs with their BACKS to the barriers.

Like, Duh.