By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The new and improved transfer window thread

RafaShanks

At least if we buy Van Dijk and we still defend like morons we'll know its because of the team set up. For now there's an argument that the individual players haven't been good enough. Although saying that I reckon someome like David Luiz would get found out big time in our current set up.

Luiz has proven to be better in a three ( as you'd expect ) and with Kante and Matic infront of him. Conte has made them more compact and, consequently, Luiz has been more disciplined

Two fullbacks who can head a ball also helps. Clyne is terrible in the air. Milner no better than a 5 or 6 out of 10.

• Replies 18.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£50 million​ for Van Dijk? Nah

If he's as good as Matip then yes.

We can't go in soft & hope to inch forward. The Mancs never had a problem with paying over the odds as long as it kept them right in the game.

Obviously we could pay 50m & he could be as effective as Lovren. Or we could baulk at it & pick up another Matip/Sami (free or next-to-nothing), or we could 'play clever' and end up with a wholly unsuitable CB.

BUT we need to start conceding fewer than 40 a season in the league fewer than 35 really & fewer than 30 ideally

I think pearce mentioned Kalidou Koulibaly as a VVD alternative. He’ll have AFCON commitments, though. 

That's irrelevant (AFCON) next season, so let's worry about the season after when it comes around. 

Trump/N Korea will have put an end to all things by then anyway

I reckon we can already tell that anyway. We basically have our full backs doing what Chelsea's wing backs do without having a third centre back, and without two central midfielders who focus on stopping the other team from playing. It's fine if you can guarantee you're going to score 3 every game. 

Spurs is a better comparison - they play with a flat back four but still have fullbacks bombing on.  

Their's a 2-1 in midfield rather than a 1-2.  It gives them more protection in front of the defence but means the attacking wide players have less licence. 

Dortmund had agreed to sign him a year ago hadn't they? I don't think it's a case of us pulling out because it was too tricky, there was talk of Klopp going to see him personally.

They're a more attractive club to players like him anyway though. CL every year and much easier to be sold on from once the elite European clubs are interested. We'd play hardball and demand a higher fee.

We pulled out because the deal was too complicated.

The president of his former club is a shareholder in Puma who have a big investment in Dortmund so selling him there would inflate their value and help the Puma brand.

It's pretty s***e cos he was the one we wanted most. Then they got Emre Mor as well - who we also wanted "bigly".

Dortmund had agreed to sign him a year ago hadn't they? I don't think it's a case of us pulling out because it was too tricky, there was talk of Klopp going to see him personally.

They're a more attractive club to players like him anyway though. CL every year and much easier to be sold on from once the elite European clubs are interested. We'd play hardball and demand a higher fee.

There was more to it in terms of agents/sponsors as I remember.

There was an article recently about all the complication in thr deal and that there was a possibility of a legal battle between dembele and his club regarding the buy out clause

In the end Dortmund got him because they really wanted him