By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

2022/2023 season

growler

Mane did a whole load of running / pressing too so there’s another chunk of distance lost. Considering the press / counter was how we setup to play, it’s strange why we’ve let it get to the stage with our players becoming incapable of maintaining this level of performance. It’s not the sort of thing that gets better by doing nothing or hammering them in a pre-season. We used to hunt down opposition players in packs for fun. Not anymore.

Its not heavy metal football anymore rather someone fiddling with a banjo. When we have the ball there is hardly any movement with players stuck in formation and the passing often at walking pace. When we don't have the ball there is hardly any pressing and the oppo end up near our box in relative ease.

• Upvote 2

Its the most noticeable difference. Our footballing identity was that we used to start fast as hell. High tempo, compress the pitch and press teams high and not let them get out. Win back possession and we were in and around their box with a single pass. We just don't do it anymore. So we either have changed because that is no longer possible due to our personnel or teams working it out or we choose not to. If it's the latter then it's hard to see what has replaced it.

Edited by D.Boon

I was torn when I saw the team for the derby. It felt exciting but also like the sort of thing you try when you are running out of ideas. I’ve seen Houllier and Rodgers pick teams that felt like that with hindsight.

I think that Klopp is the best in the world but it feels like we might need to create something new.

Btw I am aware we won 9-0 two games ago.

5 minutes ago, sammy & a said:

I was torn when I saw the team for the derby. It felt exciting but also like the sort of thing you try when you are running out of ideas. I’ve seen Houllier and Rodgers pick teams that felt like that with hindsight.

I think that Klopp is the best in the world but it feels like we might need to create something new.

Btw I am aware we won 9-0 two games ago.

You’re  right - there is a sense that Klopp is ready to build a new team (the new contract suggests he’s up for it), it’s just a f***ing travesty he has to do it on a shoestring budget

Edited by Roscoe

2 minutes ago, Roscoe said:

You’re  right - there is a sense that Klopp is ready to build a new team (the new contract suggests he’s up for it), it’s just a f***ing travesty he has to do it on a shoestring budget

And with more than a few players seemingly made of balsa wood.

Can see FSG having a 5 min meeting about this. Apparently Brighton wanted £70m for Caciedo. Whether we like it or not that's what the market is like nowadays. Can't be moneyballing all the time looking for players who have a questionable injury record hoping they turn out great.

Edited by Ibby
  • Like 1

We have been proper s*** and all that. When the missus asked where we were in the table I assumed about 10th as I can’t face football when we don’t win, and was shocked to see we’re 6th (potentially 7th after ManU game today). 2 points off 4th. Plenty of time to sort it out, just need to click in the next 3-5 games and the season is still all to play for. 

I’m trying my best to find optimism!

12 minutes ago, Ibby said:

Can see FSG having a 5 min meeting about this. Apparently Brighton wanted £70m for Caciedo.

They don't need the money,  they've sold well this summer,  and we were desperate 

We probably offered them £25m

To me the team looks knackered. We played every game last season - the European Cup Final on something like 29 May. The players went straight into internationals till mid-June. The Charity Shield was on 31 July.

There's been no break - there's another international break in 2 weeks FFS.

It could be mental and/or physical.

Kelleher & Jota were injured on those internationals. Ox is sadly made of broken biscuits, Keita just seems llike a coward, Thiago is class so you can forgive his injury record a bit.

But last week we were without Kelleher, Konate, Matip, Thiago, Ox, Keita, Jota; Nunez was suspended. Now we've added Hendo to the injury list.

There's too much f***ing footy - even City are dropping points you wouldn't expect them to drop, so far this season

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chili Palmer said:

Going into the weekend 7 points off the lead and coming out of it 6 points adrift. 

Continues like this and we'll be top by the world Cup. 

Up the tortoise reds! 

Yes!

but really, to only be 6 points back after this start is a gift we must take

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

By the time international break comes, we would’ve played 1 of the promoted teams, united, chelsea and Everton away. 5 from 12 would be acceptable given our start. I’m not so worried at home. If we can beat chelsea away, Couple of cl wins, the extra international break will help recovery and then go from there. 

3 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

Are they 'good' dropped points where ours are 'bad' dropped points?

We have major problems which you can see with the naked eye. City have utterly dominated every game they play and have been wasteful like they were against villa.

10 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

Are they 'good' dropped points where ours are 'bad' dropped points?

Villa have been the second worst team in the league, imagine the outrage if we had dropped points to them 

Sammy hates us talking about refs, but City would be 4 points less off if the officials did their jobs properly in their games against Palace and Villa 

9 minutes ago, Ibby said:

We have major problems which you can see with the naked eye. City have utterly dominated every game they play and have been wasteful like they were against villa.

Don't think city have looked great, think they'll drop points against the top 6 teams this season where Halaand won't be as effective 

• Upvote 1