By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Football rules changes

I'd have no issue to tweaking the "red card/goalscoring opportunity" rule. If a player is one-to-one with a keeper and fouled then he isn't sent off as the penalty will replicate the chance.

However, if the goalscoring opportunity is better than a penalty then red card such as handball on the line and if a keeper is rounded but trips the player from putting into an empty net.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goal size was increased in the early 90s. 

I think most of the present rules are great, just that the game is too fast to be judged consistently enough with the current officials set up. More use of video technology is needed. The challenge system sounds good.I'd also introduce red cards for players who dive or fake injury in an effort to get someone else sent off. 

no it wasn't 

They're 8ft high & 8yds wide. Have been since around the time crossbars were introduced

Introduction of a TMO - improves several areas of the game in one stroke. What does football do ? Has a former ref as part of the commentary team to make cause the audience even greater suffering.

I swear the theory is controversy = news = media exposure = $

they talked about implementing that for the 1994 world cup. they also debated splitting the match into four quarters instead of two halves. thankfully both were laughed out of town.

also, william 'fatty' foulke.

I was waiting for that gargantuan fella to be mentioned. He was unusual for the time. A bit like an ice hockey goaltender.

I personally think that any rule change needs to be carefully thought out. I'm not for change really. But if they make the game better the I'm good with it.

Oh my ! That is an incredible idea.

Yep. And use these results to determine the winners of the FA Cup.

I know league teams are in it but they never win the bloody thing. Do a full World Cup-style draw & schedule in July, use these aggregate results and it'll cut down on fixture congestion.

I've more recently thought that no points for either side for a 0-0 result would help reduce the 'park the bus' mentality of a lot of teams who see a trip to the top clubs as a one point gained match.

I've not found anyone yet that agrees to this, I know it's not perfect but apart from that I'd like to see some way of limiting the crazy wages all footballers receive because it's killing football. 

That 0-0 shout isn't bad. Although I'm not convinced that it'd stop the park the bus approach - teams that do that usually do believe that they can grab a goal on the break, so they might keep the same approach.

But they should give it a go in some sh** competition - Scottish Premiership maybe.

4 points for an away win

3 points for a home win

2 points for an away score draw

1 point for a home score draw

0 points for a 0-0 draw

Or, a point for every goal scored? This might cover the above?

Scrap the yellow card for taking off your shirt, that's a load of keek

Definitely award a goal for hand-ball on the line

Sensors down the sides of the pitch linked to seperate frequency transmitter chips in the boots/shin-pads for each team to judge off-sides, or something? It must be workable?

We all hated the Golden Goal in the European cup competitions but introducing that (or penalties) in to the League will help eradicate 0-0s.

Doesn't even have to be any time added on.  Just get to 80 minutes, with the prospect on nil points being won, then it becomes the Golden Goal for up to ten minutes.  Should be comic capers aplenty as teams send on three forwards to try to nick the goal.