By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Harvey Elliott

growler

3 hours ago, Leo No.8 said:

I don’t think he belongs in a flat midfield three.

He is doing well still, doing a good job for the team. But it’s not the best use of his abilities and I don’t see it as his long term position. You want him in the final third.

He is creative and clever but not from deep the way Thiago is. I think he’ needs to play further up and has loads of potential in a more advanced central role. 

He's very much a hole player - which is not a position clubs really use any more. You also have to be extra special to play that role, as the team is largely set up around you, and your ability to create and score.

Or he could play at the tip of a diamond in a 4-4-2

Does he score enough to be playing in the front 3?

1 minute ago, D.Boon said:

Yeah that's a bit wide of the mark. 

Yeah, Beardo was being released by United at the same age and spent the next 2 years in North America whilst Elliot is starting for one of the best teams in the world in the CL 

On 14/09/2022 at 09:40, mofus77 said:

I personally think he's a massive part of why we look so weak down our right, their goal last night there was zero pressure on the guy who passed it round Trent. 

He's similar to Jones ( but better at that age ) in that they're not front three players but create problems defensively for the other two centre mids when played in a midfield three 

I think he's a real talent, and clearly Klopp feels the same. Sill so young, has a load of time to improve and although he's not suddenly gonna become quicker, he can bulk up, and learn tactically how to play the roles given to him. Tiago is obviously boss, but Elliott is our only other midfielder able to make stuff happen.

29 minutes ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

he's 19 and spent most of last season injured

How anyone's talking about him being good enough or not is beyond mw

Because 19 and 20 yr old lads starting their careers have to be criticised when they aren't fully formed international footballers at the top of their game immediately, despite being given the confidence of the best coaches in the sport. 

42 minutes ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

he's 19 and spent most of last season injured

How anyone's talking about him being good enough or not is beyond mw

He's starting games for a team aiming to win the league and the Champions League. While that's not his fault of course people are going to talk about his ability. What else is there to talk about?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, D.Boon said:

He's starting games for a team aiming to win the league and the Champions League. While that's not his fault of course people are going to talk about his ability. What else is there to talk about?

Maybe some balance on a young kid. And how he's trusted by Klopp, who knows a bit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PaulMcC186 said:

Is the balance not acknowledging that he's really talented, but we look weaker defensively on his side and thinking he might be something to do with it?

Yep.

I really like Elliott and I reckon he makes it here but I get why people have question marks about aspects of his game especially given how we set up. 

6 hours ago, PaulMcC186 said:

Is the balance not acknowledging that he's really talented, but we look weaker defensively on his side and thinking he might be something to do with it?

He's becoming a lightning rod for any shortcomings of the side at the moment, much the same as Curtis Jones. Once he is fit again it will swap back to him. 

Send him on loan or he will probably have to leave etc etc. Same s*** no matter what actually happens. 

35 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

He's becoming a lightning rod for any shortcomings of the side at the moment, much the same as Curtis Jones. Once he is fit again it will swap back to him. 

Send him on loan or he will probably have to leave etc etc. Same s*** no matter what actually happens.

Is anyone doing that in here? Almost universal praise of his ability with the ball and attitude, a few concerns about his size and speed and a few concerns about his impact on shape and compactness. Can't see anything where people are being ridiculous in their opinions. Yet.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, smithdown said:

Who was it came up with the Ray Houghton shout?  That was like a dozen goals he scored for us.  

Smart.

On his wrong foot too. Brilliant finish. Not sure who was more surprised, Elliott or the commentator.