Sign in to follow this  
Benzo-13

Torres retires

The assist really should have gone to Aspas

I've still not seen that corner

Got a brace didn’t he?

Yeah won 3-0. Torres scored two and his Chelsea mate Meireles got the other

Torres was a super player Cascarinoho had a bit of s strop in his final season to look for s move.

If we'd finished 6th this season with some s*** manager, our world class players would be looking for the door too!

Heard plenty of comments that we knew he was finished as a top player because of his injuries by the end of the previous season; so he must have felt it even keener. Throw in the ownership s***storm and Hodgson replacing Rafa, and it's understandable he felt the need to move, especially to somewhere where he could most likely get the (club) medal his ability deserved (notwithstanding his previous comments about Atletico and us as "Working Class" clubs). That we wasted the money they spent on him wasn't his fault; that his Chelsea career was s*** was funny (albeit medal-winning).

The Marseille goal, where he tortured the defender so much he appealed for off-side even as Torres ran past him with the ball remains a highlight.

Gerrard

Suarez

Torres

Salah

Coutinho

He's in my top 5 best ever seen so I'll love him for that

The Marseille goal, where he tortured the defender so much he appealed for off-side even as Torres ran past him with the ball remains a highlight.

I always just assumed that lad never played another game and probably lost everything.

Salah is a better player than Torres. He's better than Suarez too.

I reckon he's some way behind Suarez at the minute personally but it is great that there is genuinely a conversation to be had.

I haven’t seen anyone touch the heavens I’m a red shirt like Suarez did. Torres was a phenomenon too. I think if I squint then I can get Salah ahead of Torres but not Suarez.

I missed peak Barnes and Kenny altogether.

None of this is talking Salah down. I’m aware of his record and he’s played a major role in us winning not just a trophy but the best one and is a mainstay if a better team than Suarez and Torres were for us.

Suarez just had 13/14. Other seasons he didn’t hit those heights and that ban.

Torres has 3 until his knee injury and Salah has easily got 2 of that ilk.

Barnes was incredible. Was almost having Pro Evo Lad dialled up to all stats 99 when he was on form.

Suarez scored 1 goal more than Torres for us, in 9 fewer games.

In a far worse team

Looking at the stats two things stood out I'd forgot

Suarez in 12/13 was brilliant. Only one goal less than his 'genius season' the following year, though more games played. But he wasn't a one season wonder for us which many seem to focus on

And the other is that Torres scores more in 09/10 than 08/09.

17 in 38 appearances 08/09 versus 22 in 32 appearances in 09/10. I'd completely forgot that

as an old a***

you can't compare, teams play a different system to fit the forwards

for me though best goal poacher is tied with Rush/Aldo (maybe Lineker saw a lot of eve games in 85/86 taking my stupid sister to games)

Suarez dragged a team to a near League win, he was our nasty git, Torres would have been unstoppable in 87/88 team, he would have beaten Dixies record 

Aye.

Suarez was possibly the most audacious, skillful player I’ve seen in a red shirt and I absolutely adored John Barnes.

Salah isn’t scoring some of these

That one versus Fulham was truly incredible.

Suarez came in and was our best player from day 1, goals notwithstanding. Dirk's hattrick in his 1st season against the mancs is a good case in point. Rarely has a hattrick belonged to the non scorer as much as that one.

He was the best player in the league in Rodgers first season and then had probably the best season anyone has had in the Premier league the season after. I don't think any Liverpool player is touching the level he had those two seasons.

Torres was great and supremely elegant, his numbers perhaps also reflecting playing in a more defensive team in a time with fewer goals scored overall, but he also had a fair number of games where he was invisible.

It's a discussion between him and salah, but Suarez is a cut above. He was Barnes, Beardsley, kuyt and fowler rolled into one player.

Yeah. I've still got Salah down as a mad goalscoring freak of a wide player.

If its play ground captains pick the team I'm taking Suarez before Mo. I think.

If its play ground captains pick the team I'm taking Suarez before Mo. I think.

Yes! This was, is and always will be the real quiz.