By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Transfer Window Speculation

Ombudsam

2 minutes ago, Swipe said:

We didn’t with Thiago. And when was the last time we did all our business dead quick? 

Either way, the end of the window is the time to get annoyed if we don’t do any more business. Don’t think that’s a ridiculous notion really. 

It literally is. Doesn’t matter how the payment was structured.

It literally isn't. The deal was completed because Edwards found a way to do something within the very restrictive budget he had been given. 

But yeah, the time to assess is at the end of the window. I remember thinking the same in January too when we all thought we would have a centre back lined up at the start of the window but ended up signing Davies and loaning Kabak on the last day.

2 minutes ago, psl said:

It literally isn't. The deal was completed because Edwards found a way to do something within the very restrictive budget he had been given. 

But yeah, the time to assess is at the end of the window. I remember thinking the same in January too when we all thought we would have a centre back lined up at the start of the window but ended up signing Davies and loaning Kabak on the last day.

So a late deal doesn’t count as a late deal cos we found a way to make the payment structure work for us? 

I’m no fan of FSG but that’s ridiculous. 

Massive pedantry just to have a moan. 

Just now, Swipe said:

So a late deal doesn’t count as a late deal cos we found a way to make the payment structure work for us? 

I’m no fan of FSG but that’s ridiculous. 

Massive pedantry just to have a moan. 

No it just means that the fact we found someone to take peanuts up front for a really good player once doesnt mean it will happen again and if it doesn't, we shouldn't rely on owners to provide more funds to allow it to happen, as has been seen in countless transfer windows when they do f*** all.

8 minutes ago, Big Red Machine said:

I wouldn't 

I reckon if all 4 where fit for 38 league games Gini wouldn't get the least minutes. 

Klopps loves him 

Think if he loved him as much as you're saying he would have found a way to keep him at the club

13 minutes ago, Hassony said:

Think if he loved him as much as you're saying he would have found a way to keep him at the club

That's a very simplistic way of looking at the situation. It is well documented that Klopp really wanted to keep Wijnaldum but the club weren't prepared to meet his demands. This isn't on Klopp. And like a few of the journos said the other day, Klopp doesn't have full control when it comes to contract negotiations. Henderson case in point.

Edited by darucs112
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Big Red Machine said:

I wouldn't 

I reckon if all 4 where fit for 38 league games Gini wouldn't get the least minutes. 

Klopps loves him 

Feels a bit like how the 6th man in basketball plays 30-35 minutes a game that though even though by definition they aren’t in the starting five.

6 minutes ago, Hassony said:

For all the worrying and panicking, Chelsea and city haven't bought anyone yet this summer, right ?

No and we’ve always briefed that we are skint before buying players. Admittedly we’ve also briefed that before not buying players, but i’d say no one knows what we’re up to or what we’ll do. 

Apart from Grizz. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RBM said:

The PA news agency understands it is unlikely there will be further additions to the squad following the £36million arrival of centre-back Ibrahima Konate from RB Leipzig.

But they continue to strengthen from within with 18-year-old Conor Bradley, currently out with the first team in Austria, signing a new long-term contract.

From the independent 

LOL....."continue to strengthen from within" :D

And here's me thinking we were giving a academy prospect a professional deal 

Backline and goalkeeper are solid. Front line is solid I reckon. Mane and Salah look ready. Jota with another season under his belt and Elliott hungry. Firmino will lift because of that. 

midfield feels light. Fab Thiago hendo Jones is solid, just not enough. Ox and Keita are unreliable fitness wise so definitely need another there.

the Saul thing does sound solid, but let’s see. I’d be ok with him and konate and then locking down key player contracts this year. Still covid impact and we are conservative with taking on debt. To mention training ground and stadium build being done. 

1 hour ago, growler said:

Backline and goalkeeper are solid. Front line is solid I reckon. Mane and Salah look ready. Jota with another season under his belt and Elliott hungry. Firmino will lift because of that. 

midfield feels light. Fab Thiago hendo Jones is solid, just not enough. Ox and Keita are unreliable fitness wise so definitely need another there.

the Saul thing does sound solid, but let’s see. I’d be ok with him and konate and then locking down key player contracts this year. Still covid impact and we are conservative with taking on debt. To mention training ground and stadium build being done. 

Even if in our best dreams it works out that we do have enough for this season.. Its not enough for the evolution into next season and then beyond that. We've really only signed Jota and Thiago who can lay serious claim to a starting position since winning the CL.. (konate yet to prove himself). That's not enough 

6 hours ago, growler said:

Expectations well and truly watered down.

2 minutes ago, darucs112 said:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1419902300794114079

Good thread and makes perfect sense. 

If we don't sign someone big because we don't have the space because Origi or Minamino are taking up a slot, then it's a ridiculous excuse.

Loan them out, sell them at a reduced cost.

If nobody wants them then we're not really devaluing them by not registering them are we?

And if we neglect to sign a target the manager wants because we think Origi is worth 20m and we're only getting bids of 10m, then it's FSG valuing business over competitiveness once again. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sion said:

If we don't sign someone big because we don't have the space because Origi or Minamino are taking up a slot, then it's a ridiculous excuse.

Loan them out, sell them at a reduced cost.

If nobody wants them then we're not really devaluing them by not registering them are we?

And if we neglect to sign a target the manager wants because we think Origi is worth 20m and we're only getting bids of 10m, then it's FSG valuing business over competitiveness once again. 

Selling people at a reduced cost now is panicking which surely we can all agree is a bad idea. If you absolutely have to do that you do it in a month (I think Minamino leaves on loan and we’ll sell Phillips eventually) but if you create a situation where you physically can’t register players you put yourself on the back foot in any negotiations moving forward. If we signed an English player who was to take Phillips’ place tomorrow I would say you’re instantly halving his value. And you might not care but the club clearly do.

1 minute ago, Hightown Phil said:

Selling people at a reduced cost now is panicking which surely we can all agree is a bad idea. If you absolutely have to do that you do it in a month (I think Minamino leaves on loan and we’ll sell Phillips eventually) but if you create a situation where you physically can’t register players you put yourself on the back foot in any negotiations moving forward. If we signed an English player who was to take Phillips’ place tomorrow I would say you’re instantly halving his value. And you might not care but the club clearly do.

We're pretty obviously dragging out a number of sales to make a few extra million. Which is fine in June. But the season starts in 2.5 weeks.

Do you think dragging out the sale of someone like Phillips to hopefully make a couple extra million is worth not having Saul in for pre season for example? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sion said:

We're pretty obviously dragging out a number of sales to make a few extra million. Which is fine in June. But the season starts in 2.5 weeks.

Do you think dragging out the sale of someone like Phillips to hopefully make a couple extra million is worth not having Saul in for pre season for example? 

If Saul signed today I wouldn’t expect him to play a great deal until after the September international break anyway so I don’t think it matters too much personally.