By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Welcome Mohamed Salah

RP

30 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Has to be Mbappe or Haaland coming in if we are giving up Salah or Mane’s stats. Sancho is surely nowhere near ready to replicate them. 

Sancho is having a dip this season but his stats before this are insanely good.

6 minutes ago, D.Boon said:

The big issue I have with all these replacement options for Salah or Mane is they are a step down.

A 33 year old Salah or Mane will probably be a step down from current Salah or Mane.

I know no-one likes thinking about this stuff but it needs to be done, otherwise what's happening at City becomes real here too. Jota was a very good start on making the forward line younger - gives us the ability to sell one of the three in the summer, bring in a very good younger replacement and still have 4 good options. Klopp will improve whoever he brings 

On 21/12/2020 at 20:32, Gethin said:

A 33 year old Salah or Mane will probably be a step down from current Salah or Mane.

They are both absolute beasts though, look at C Ronaldo, Messi, Vardy and even Zlatan, still performing at a very high level in their mod thirties, no reason why Mane and Salah can't do the same 

51 minutes ago, Hassony said:

They are both absolute beasts though, look at C Ronaldo, Messi, Vardy and even Zlatan, still performing at a very high level in their mod thirties, no reason why Mane and Salah can't do the same 

They’ll be rocking on for that whole period hopefully 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hassony said:

Mo on snuss pouches and big cans of Monster.  Play till he's 45.

That interview in the guardian just now is a bit weird....like Jurgen saying more than he needs to which is unlike him

you wonder if there is an fsg plan to sell him next summer 

I really hope not . I wouldn’t have anyone in world football to replace salah right now or for the next 2-3 years. As hass rightly points out Mo is the kind of player to be at his absolute prime for a good while yet 

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

That interview in the guardian just now is a bit weird....like Jurgen saying more than he needs to which is unlike him

I really hope not . I wouldn’t have anyone in world football to replace salah right now or for the next 2-3 years. As hass rightly points out Mo is the kind of player to be at his absolute prime for a good while yet 

I concur

Especially with the last paragraph 

4 hours ago, Conrad said:

Just read it. I don’t see an issue with it but that is probably because I expect one of him or Sadio to go. Klopp is just telling the truth as he sees his philosophy.

19 minutes ago, honourablegeorge said:

That's why you get such a good price

If Salah can perform for the next four years like he has performed for the last 3.5 years, then it would be better to keep him rather than get £100m+ for him 

Same applies for Mane as well 

If we say they’re both worth £100m+ I’m not sure any club is paying that and selling for any less isn’t worth it for us with what they’re guaranteed to give. I can’t see either going to Madrid or Barca tbh. Are they going to blow their whole budget there... if they even have any money? Madrid would much rather get someone like Mbappe or even Pogba due to the Marketing potential. Barca would be a maybe but again depends if they have money and is it really an attractive proposition at the minute with an average manager, Messi sulking, seeing players like Coutinho and Griezman not settling in and the entire squad needing a revamp etc. 

That leaves a few English teams. PSG, Juve and Bayern. Would either want to go PSG yet or Italy / back to Italy for Salah? And Bayern rarely spend over €40m on players. They’ve only done that once...

Edited by crisps

We aren’t a commercial juggernaut. Until we are, we need to sell to service the demands of the team. Selling salah or Mane with 4 years left in the tank means only a juggernaught or state owned club can spend silly money on them with no payback in fee. For us, that would give us two, maybe 3 top players who could become world class.

it took United 20 years to become the size they are now. We just got our first title under fsg. We need a few more years before we decide to keep a salah to end of contract. 

course I hope I’m wrong. I’d rather keep mane salah hendo alisson and Virgil until they retire. Enough others to sell if we have to. 

3 hours ago, Jarg Armani said:

Salah is basically irreplaceable. It would mean a change of style, a rebuilding of the team if we decided to sell him. 

He's a special player but I disagree with all the above. 

We've replaced similar before; we've consistently developed and transformed admirable players - particularly forwards - into the majestic and with the club in much weaker positions than the current Klopp driven behemoth 

Bobby is irreplaceable and the front three beyond improvement - in comes Jota

We couldn't afford to sign one of the only three or four brilliant left backs to take our defence to the level we're at now - in comes Robbo

There are are very good footballers throughout Europe whose progress is currently being hindered by the tactics and coaching at lesser clubs and we seem to have become rather good at spotting them

I can see quite a few of the current squad staying around until the back end of their careers

Hendo I reckon will be the next Milner, kept around as a good senior pro to be a good influence on the younger players, even if he passes the captaincy on at some point.

It's really (due to the high energy demands of the positions) the forwards and FBs where you have a question of "Do we cash in whilst they still have value and before they can't play this system any more". Think players like VVD, Allison, Fab might well stay around until quite late in their careers.

2 minutes ago, Earl Hafler said:

Bobby is irreplaceable

And actually I can see Bobby being able to play his role in this system for a while yet.