Sign in to follow this  
pipnasty

Best Club Side You Have Ever Seen Ever

Being one of the older forumites, I give you Ajax and Red Star Belgrade from the distant past. From recent times, I'd also go with the Barcelona team that beat Juventus in the CL final.

This, and NYR’s follow up post is correct. Ajax 71-73 changed football, utterly. Not only 3 European Cups in a row, but they almost won the World Cup in 74 too.

And yes, I know.

They had that Argentinian lad who looked like the fella from Gremlins who was absolutely wicked and then disappeared without trace. He took us to the cleaners when we played them.

Aimar.

Yeah, he was great in those games.

Think we were all desperate for Rafa to bring him.

Maybe when they played Kaka defensive mid and Gattuso in the front three

Pablo Aimar

That's the one. Never heard anything about him after Rafa left Valencia. Apparently he's the coach of Argentina's U17 side now.

That's the one. Never heard anything about him after Rafa left Valencia. Apparently he's the coach of Argentina's U17 side now.

He actually played against us twice for Benfica in 2010 but safe to say he didn't make the same impression he had 8 years earlier

Edited by Damian_de

yeah i can't think of a team which had a better starting XI on paper than that side. like a world star or massive name in every position.

Massive frauds that team. Not sure why they're held in such great esteem by so many people. Especially as they didn't even win their domestic league.

In fact the decade 2000 to 2010 they only won one Serie A title and only finished in the top 2 twice.

Maybe when they played Kaka defensive mid and Gattuso in the front three

Pablo Aimar

That Schevkenko was a player though. Smooth and rich...

Massive frauds that team. Not sure why they're held in such great esteem by so many people. Especially as they didn't even win their domestic league.

In fact the decade 2000 to 2010 they only won one Serie A title and only finished in the top 2 twice.

Juventus happened, for one. 

Milan won 2 European Cups and reached the final of another from 03-07. I genuinely don't think that team was built or cared much about winning leagues (see also Real Madrid threepeat).

It's fair to say they probably underachieved given their status though - but there's no doubt that it was a star studded line up and was ridiculous when on form (also see Kaka ripping through Man Utd in 07).

They also quite clearly had a soft underbelly bizarrely for a team with such experience - Deportivo did them in 04 after Milan won the first leg comfortably, PSV almost shocked them too in 05, and of course us in the final.

I was being deadly serious here by the way, and now I've got the time, how on earth did we beat this lot at all, never mind give them a 3 goal start? 

Didi               Cafu Stam Nesta Maldini                  Pirlo Kaka Seedorf             Gatusso Crespo Schevkenco

how old were they in 2005? i'm more surprised we didnt beat them in 2007