By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Rate the ref - Anthony Taylor - Watford (A) 12 Aug

Sir Tokyo Sexwale

Anthony Taylor - Watford (A)  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Marks out of 10

• I don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

When did this law change?

It has always been that a player is deemed to be offside depending on where they are on the pitch relative to the ball and the opposition players (i.e. nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent) "at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team". In this case, at the moment the initial shot is taken, and the lad is clearly, if marginally, ahead of the ball and interfering with Mignolet (fnah, fnah).

What happens after that, as in which direction the ball travels, is irrelevant. Not surprising, but sad, that professional pundits and ex-players don't seem to understand the rules.

We got caught with this a few years back at Stoke, I think it was, when Gerrard took a short corner then ran back up the pitch round the player he had passed to, to get the return ball and cross in from a better angle. A nice move, but because he was stood by the corner flag when the return pass was made, even though the ball was passed directly backwards towards our own goal, he was correctly flagged for offside - cue dozens of posts and misinformation on various forums and in the media

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of people don't understand the laws relating to offside - many of whom should really know better, ex-players and pundits, for example.

Their third goal was definitely offside - it had to be. Their second wasn't.

It has always been that a player is deemed to be offside depending on where they are on the pitch relative to the ball and the opposition players (i.e. nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent) "at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team". In this case, at the moment the initial shot is taken, and the lad is clearly, if marginally, ahead of the ball and interfering with Mignolet (fnah, fnah).

What happens after that, as in which direction the ball travels, is irrelevant. Not surprising, but sad, that professional pundits and ex-players don't seem to understand the rules.

We got caught with this a few years back at Stoke, I think it was, when Gerrard took a short corner then ran back up the pitch round the player he had passed to, to get the return ball and cross in from a better angle. A nice move, but because he was stood by the corner flag when the return pass was made, even though the ball was passed directly backwards towards our own goal, he was correctly flagged for offside - cue dozens of posts and misinformation on various forums and in the media

struggling to picture this in my mind

Bjorn Kuipers 0/10 - proper bent he is. Still hadn't forgiven him for Markovic but it's even more clear he hates us.

United fan seems the most likely explanation. He reffed that match like I'd ref a Manchester United game.

Yep. Absolutely shocking from start to end. Should be banned for not playing advantage when we had a 3 on 1 break. 

• 1 month later...

He's a manc, his family all support united, he claims to support altrincham, which just happens to be when united stiffs play and the clubroom walls are adorned with united memorabilia. 

Still seething over the freekick and penalty given at sunderland last season.