By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Jazz

RBM

On a slightly different tack check out the stuff Kieran Hebden (Four Tet) did with Steve Reid, no mention of Gil Scott Heron either so I'll rectify that.

One of the beauties of jazz is that everyone played with everyone else so you find an artist you like and it's easy to follow artists across bands and decades

Salem Ragab And The Cairo Jazz Band

Surprisingly, loads of really smart Ethiopian jazz too.

A bit of Donald Byrd and Byard Lancaster too.

And another mention for the big band sound of Phil Cohran - out of this world

Edited by Pipnasty

Why do people say dumb things like "all jazz is s***" as though it was a basically a single song, or piece?

"All classical music is s***", "all pop songs are woeful", "every folk song is putrid", "the entirety of blues is all authentic and brilliant": it seems to happen jazz more than any form, bar perhaps Norwegian death metal.

Some of my favorites...

Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debby

Brian Bromberg - Wood

Buckshot Le Fonque - Music Evolution

Chet Baker - The Best of Chet Baker Sings

George Duke - After Hours

Jill Scott - Who Is Jill Scott

Joe Sample and The Soul Committee - Did You Feel That?

Madeleine Peyroux - Bare Bones

Michael Brecker - Nearness Of You - The Ballad Book

Nils Petter Molvaer - Recoloured The Remix Album

Nina Simone - The Very Best Of...

Pat Metheny Group - Letter From Home

Ronny Jordan - The Antidote

S.M.V. - Thunder

St. Germain - Tourist

Stanley Clarke - If This Bass Could Only Talk

Victor Wooten - A Show Of Hands

I've never really got on with that, vastly prefer Scetches of Spain and In a Silent Way

In a silent way is great.

I'd also recommend Dave Brubeck "Take Five" and Herbie Hancock "Head Hunters", although I'm not sure the latter qualifies as jazz.

Edited by blago

So I don't know what Miles Davis you've listened to but if you've listened to his earlier stuff, walkin, smokin etc I don't find it particularly interesting but his better acoustic stuff is the stuff he did with the second quintet, checkout Miles Smiles and Miles in the Sky especially, if you've checked his acoustic stuff check out Bitches Brew and on the corner. Coltrane may take some more work but A Love Supreme is exceptional, Mingus and the Black saint and the sinner lady though from later is Let My Children Hear Music which if you like jazz influenced stuff you may prefer.

I'd definitely try some live stuff as well so Miles Live In Europe Volume 1 and Coltrane at the Village Vanguard. I also think Coleman and the Shape of Jazz to come.

Oh and DD you not liking something doesn't make it s***

Oh and if you are going with Hancock go Empryean Isles I reckon it's his best I've heard

Some sense being talked at last.

Saying you've tried Miles Davis is like saying you've tried wine and weren't keen... he played for 6 decades and his music covers huge ranges of stuff. I'd say you needed to pick out half a dozen to get even the briefest of overviews. Something like:

Miles Ahead - for the hard bob

Relaxin' With - for the acoustic quintet stuff

Porgy & Bess - for the orchestral (and some familiar tunes which can be a great help)

Miles Smiles - for the electric-psych meltdown

A Tribute to Jack Johnson - for hard riffing, jazz rock

Mingus is a great shout - I think a few of his albums, although they are proper 'jazz', have stronger elements of soul, gospel and blues than most do - he wears his interests and influences on his sleeve - so his music a great inroad to the genre for anyone who is unsure about where to start. The Black Saint & The Lady Sinner is a typically great example as are Ah Um and Blues And Roots.

And a few more obscure items that I think are a nice easy transition to jazz for people who aren't really too sure...

Dexter Gordon - Our Man In Paris

Donald Byrd - Byrd In Hand

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

Edited by charlie clown

This was the first Jazz I go t introduced to, it's magic stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Jazz-Coleman-Hawkins/dp/B00000475W/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_4

Loads of good info on the thread here, I've stuck to Miles and Coltrane mainly, with some Oscar Peterson and Basie, there so much depth to it it'd take a lifetime to fully appreciate it.

Keep meaning to list to Bill Evans, must hook myself up with some...

Another recommendation for In a Silent Way, was like a revalation, first time I heard it was at 30000 feet coming back from Tokyo.

Not sure anyone has mentioned it, and it gets a bit of a sneering at from some quarters, but 'A Kind of Blue' is a great way into jazz.

Edit: ha Vic, just posted almost the same thing.

Edited by Ed the Wool

Some sense being talked at last.

Saying you've tried Miles Davis is like saying you've tried wine and weren't keen... he played for 6 decades and his music covers huge ranges of stuff. I'd say you needed to pick out half a dozen to get even the briefest of overviews. Something like:

Miles Ahead - for the hard bob

Relaxin' With - for the acoustic quintet stuff

Porgy & Bess - for the orchestral (and some familiar tunes which can be a great help)

Miles Smiles - for the electric-psych meltdown

A Tribute to Jack Johnson - for hard riffing, jazz rock

Mingus is a great shout - I think a few of his albums, although they are proper 'jazz', have stronger elements of soul, gospel and blues than most do - he wears his interests and influences on his sleeve - so his music a great inroad to the genre for anyone who is unsure about where to start. The Black Saint & The Lady Sinner is a typically great example as are Ah Um and Blues And Roots.

And a few more obscure items that I think are a nice easy transition to jazz for people who aren't really too sure...

Dexter Gordon - Our Man In Paris

Donald Byrd - Byrd In Hand

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

I think the volume of available material can be part if the problem, in that you don't know where to start often. I may have just picked the wrong jumping off point hopefully. I'm now armed with plenty of the recommendations here, so I'll try again. Thanks everyone.