By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Jazz

RBM

I struggle with Jazz, can't get into it at all. What am I doing wrong, because I think the issue is with me? Where's the best place to start? I've tried Miles Davis and others, and all though I can appreciate it's good, it doesn't make me want to listen again, and often leaves me a bit cold.

Smooth Jazz can f*** right off!

I like a lot of music with obvious jazz influence and grew up with it being played a lot in the house but I never listen to it and have hardly got any albums. I keep thinking I should give it more time but then never get round to it. Probably cos Mrs M can't stand it.

what other music are you into?

I listen to all kinds of different stuff, except death/ black metal. I listen to things clearly influenced by jazz, but I've struggled with it in its purer forms, in the way I haven't with say blues, or folk.

I struggle with Jazz, can't get into it at all. What am I doing wrong, because I think the issue is with me?

It's not you. Jazz is just s***. Especially all this modern "cool" keek. Some stuff I might abide, like the sort that Woody Allen would play, but I get in a bad mood when I hear Jazz.

Jazz is for people who don't like music.

I don't think so. I think that maybe it has to be appreciated on a different level that maybe I'm not getting.

Do you like Boston?

The city or the band?

nonsense

I'm not being serious. It just doesn't do anything for me. It seems self indulgent and lacks structure for my taste. Other people seem to appreciate specifically those very parts of it. The only jazz I ever could listen to was Django Reinhardt, but that was probably because it doesn't sound like traditional jazz.

It's not you. Jazz is just s***. Especially all this modern "cool" keek. Some stuff I might abide, like the sort that Woody Allen would play, but I get in a bad mood when I hear Jazz.

:lol:/>

Just when you thought you were 'getting it'.

Edited by Rich Gobey

What? What I said was reasonable enough. I think Jazz is s***, it puts me in a bad mood, but not so much early or ragtime type Jazz, the sort Woody Allen plays on clarinet. Like in his film Manhatten.

Don't listen to it then.

It's not s*** though. Thats just a f***ing daft thing to say.

my advice:

1 go to a jazz club, like the 606 in London

2 go to a jazz concert - in summer we went to a show that was part of the Southport Jazz festival

3 maybe start with some Brubeck or something. Everyone likes that. Or go back a step and listen to some Steely Dan to help bridge the gap

btw did anyone like Joe Jackson's Jumping Jive project? I love it, but it's jazz from before the war