By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Chilli con carne

Guy_Incognito

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone make their own curries? I enjoy making them, and they are pretty good, but I only do the one recipe. Does anyone have ones that they do and are good?

All of the time - love making curries. Chicken methi is lovely and also one of the easiest to make.

Fry half an onion slowly

Add chopped garlic and ginger

Then add chicken - it's best to get chicken on the bone if you can. Brown the chicken for a few minutes

Then add half a tin of tomatoes or fresh tomatoes.

Then add a chopped chilli, a teaspoon of turmeric, quarter of a teaspoon of chilli powder, a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of garam masala and then two tablespoons of dried methi.

Then add about 2 inches of water to the pan and bring it to the boil. 

Put a lid on the pan and lower it to a simmer and cook it for about 45 mins.

Take the chicken off the bone and then reduce the sauce until it is thick and that's it.

PS - if you want to make it more like a curry shop recipe, just add another 10 tablespoons of oil and replace most of the chicken with large chunks of onion

Edited by Pipnasty

Yes - the lamb madras one that was on Saturday Kitchen a few years back remains a firm favourite

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lamb_madras_with_bombay_09160

That is absolutely lush.

For christmas I got a recipe book of Indian recipes as they are made in British Indian Restaurants, rathern than their authentic equivalent (if one exists). Looking forward to getting into that.

All of the time - love making curries. Chicken methi is lovely and also one of the easiest to make.

Fry half an onion slowly

Add chopped garlic and ginger

Then add chicken - it's best to get chicken on the bone if you can. Brown the chicken for a few minutes

Then add half a tin of tomatoes or fresh tomatoes.

Then add a chopped chilli, a teaspoon of turmeric, quarter of a teaspoon of chilli powder, a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of garam masala and then two tablespoons of dried methi.

Then add about 2 inches of water to the pan and bring it to the boil. 

Put a lid on the pan and lower it to a simmer and cook it for about 45 mins.

Take the chicken off the bone and then reduce the sauce until it is thick and that's it.

PS - if you want to make it more like a curry shop recipe, just add another 10 tablespoons of oil and replace most of the chicken with large chunks of onion

Is methi fenugreek?

Have you asked Fyds mrs for the Malaysian curry recipe ?

Haven’t cooked one for ages

I get best results from blending the onions into a paste before frying them, then same with garlic and ginger.

That’s a base, then add spices mix to the frying stuff to make a paste.

Fresh tomatoes instead of tinned.

Get a good store cupboard of thinks like onion seeds and asfoetifda etc.

That’s something I’ve never thought of before. Thank you. I’ve got a good inventory of spices but fresh makes such a big difference. I think I’m going to order a spice grinder.

That’s something I’ve never thought of before. Thank you. I’ve got a good inventory of spices but fresh makes such a big difference. I think I’m going to order a spice grinder.

That’s ok. You can pay me in vintage stereo equipment.

Madhur Jaffery has some good recipes. No shortcuts. Stuff where if you want curry on Sat night, make it Friday so it can sit. f***ing amazing if you can be bothered

Funnily enough, I went to her restaurant on 58th Street the other day. It was probably the best curry I've ever had in America. Dawat -- ever been there?