By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Southampton F.C. vs Liverpool F.C. - Saturday 17 August - 3pm

magneto

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a positive or a negative, just that it happened.

Ha, that's fair. I remembered about his injury against Napoli last year and looked it up before, forgot about how he was 'rushed to hopsital'

My concern with keita is the thought that, to use an old school phrase, "he doesn't fancy it"

Quote your posts prior to that

I was staggered when I found out how many matchday squads he was in last season.

43 times he made the 18 man squad last season. Which is considerably more than I thought, and I suspect more than most people thought.

Are there others I’ve missed or something?

Playing Wednesday and Saturday should not be an issue for any player. The extra time comes into it, but I would be surprised if any player hasn’t recovered.

Yeah, how dare players be tired after a 3200mi round trip and a game played in stifling heat and humidity that went to extra time 2 weeks into the season. f***ing slackers.

Could do wonders for out early season fitness though - a mega workout in testing conditions. It could also wreck players very easily though because of exhaustion, double edged sword, anyway, we won so fk chelsea.

Edited by DPD1973

I always wondered how football players fitness compares to tennis players. The top tennis players players seem to play obscene hours in the masters tournaments, every day, although they do get a break at the slams.

Quick bit of googling, average match length is 1h30-45 for a 3 setter, 2h30 for a 5 setter - and the ball is in play for about 20% of that time.

Players like Djokovic play about 70 matches a year - so about 7-8k mins a year. Our top players played about 4.5k mins last year.

Big difference is that footballers will have a steady load of 1-2 games a week for 10 months, tennis players will play clusters of matches every day, every other days around tournaments - but then not play competitively for 4-6 weeks.

Quick bit of googling, average match length is 1h30-45 for a 3 setter, 2h30 for a 5 setter - and the ball is in play for about 20% of that time.

Players like Djokovic play about 70 matches a year - so about 7-8k mins a year. Our top players played about 4.5k mins last year.

Big difference is that footballers will have a steady load of 1-2 games a week for 10 months, tennis players will play clusters of matches every day, every other days around tournaments - but then not play competitively for 4-6 weeks.

Plus tennis is mainly standing round and sitting down eating bananas with a bit of running in between.