sammy & a

Transfer Window Speculation

That's the question I always come back to, are they a malevolent force or merely incompetent?

I thought I trademarked that question. Cunningly incompetent: amateurish except when it comes to protecting *the club's* finances.

That's the question I always come back to, are they a malevolent force or merely incompetent?

After all this time, it doesn't really matter as the impact is the same

And I say malevolent because it's impossible that people who have had their level of success both in business and sports, could be this incompetent

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at

And that's before we get on to the stadium stitch-up

Edited by Molby

If the plan is to mainly go after some high profile players who everyone knows about & is in for, then we might as well have a well connected agent leading negotiations, the best dealmaker we can find.

I don't know Edwards or what he's about, but he's supposedly in charge of deals and contracts as well as scouting, and we've struggled to get deals done despite having a lot of money and a manager so many would snub gold for. Not unique in that struggle, but quickest deal was following Chelsea in.

Maybe the smart play these days, the undervalued skill, is holding relationships, rather than leading on analytics?

It's a 5/10 at best. Dropping to 3/10 if Coutinho goes. Salah and Ox-Chambo mean we're not f***ed for pace the moment Mane isn't available, but to not address centre back is completely negligent, and Keita isn't here til next year.

We're looking at a first 11 that still features Mignolet, Lovren and Moreno. It's f***ing ridiculous.

If Coutinho goes tomorrow then it's pitchforks time.

What deals have we actually managed 

Salah - from roma - a club in financial strife

Solanke - out of contract. 

Robertson - from a relegated club for the same price as we flogged Kev Stewart to them.

Ox - final year of his contract, despite him turning down the one other offer, we couldnt get arsenal to drop the asking price further and with time ticking paid the full whack.

Keita - couldn't get leipzig to accept 70m, so with a year of his contract left offered over the clause to get first dibs on him. 

VVD - got the player to turn down all other suitors, clearly tapped him up, apologised, didn't go back for him.

Lemar - tried to break monaco into accepting 20m less than they wanted for the player, bid closer to what they wanted but too late.

Great attracting players thanks to klopp and don't mind the strategy of going for players who seem gettable cos of contract/club situations but we're still in the awful habit of making it a long drawn out process of trying to save a penny when the money is there.   

We've not done enough to get us over the hump. We needed a central defender, could have done with an upgrade in goal and an additional striker would have been nice.Chamberlain gives us options which is good.

We have midfield options, we have enough strikers, but the defence remains an issue.

What we have to avoid are the injuries to our vital players. If we get them, we will struggle to move up closer to the top.

Edited by Nebraska Red

We're still an excellent side on our day and have taken steps to fix the issue of what happens when Mane is out, but we needed an upgrade at CB and probably GK (although I was happy to bypass this for now in the assumption we'd get VvD). Squad is stronger, although it looks unlikely we'd weather an injury or two at CB. We should do better than last season, possibly win something, but maybe just fall short.

Caveat: all of this is dependent on whether we can put Coutinho's head back on after tomorrow (assuming, of course, that he doesn't leave, which would be a disaster).

I'm disappointed about VvD (and really hope we do go back for him in January), delighted about Keita for next year, and now just looking forward to getting on with the season.

6/10 window for me. Would have been 8 had we got VVD.  (And this is assuming Coutinho stays - drops to a 2 or 3 if he goes). 

Let's hope that the 7 odd clean sheets in last 9 league games aren't just a statistical freak. All we really need to do is stop conceding more dumb goals / defensive errors than all the other teams in the league...

If you lads think CB is the only place we needed to strenghten then you are blinded by VVD.

We need a new keeper.

We do, and fact that Mignolet hasn't dropped a clanger in a while has lulled us into a false sense of security, but center back was still much higher priority. Obviously we know it wasn't one or the other, but I think not getting VVD will impact us much more than not getting a new keeper. 

And that's before we get on to the stadium stitch-up

What's the stadium stitch up?

Edited by Zoob

I think this squad is good enough to keep us in contention in all comps for the next 4 months, then if we need to, we can go back in for Lemar and VVD in Jan. I think Gomez can step up at CB, AND Phil wont be leaving.

A starting line up of : 

Mignolet

Gomez             Matip  Lovren           Robertson

Can                           Henderson            Wijnaldum

Salah                        Firmino                   Mane

Bench of : 

Karius

Clyne

Sturridge

Solanke

Lallana

Oxlaide-Cahmberlain

Coutinho

Still in reserve :

TAA

Moreno

Klavan

Woodburn

Kent

That squad can keep us in contention until January, no doubt

Edited by cocknose

Both. And as Molby said, the result is the same. 

I think it is time we started to make them feel a lot more uncomfortable and a lot more accountable. 

They could announce the Anfield Road end tomorrow with the 200m they haven't spent for starters. 

Where is the actual evidence for this £200MM and where would it come from?

They briefed their usual journos back in May. Pearce et al. 

Then they did it again two days ago (£175m) this time.

It isn't just this though NYR, it's the 7 years of amateurish carrying on that they need calling out on. They've been the biggest obstruction to our success on the field since they arrived. 

It isn't just this though NYR, it's the 7 years of amateurish carrying on that they need calling out on. They've been the biggest obstruction to our success on the field since they arrived.

Absolutely this.

I'll admit 110% that they are naive. That they have made some terrible decisions. But the alternative is what? An asset stripper? A clueless oligarch? A debt lover?

I will never forget the dire situation in October 2010. It wasn't just dire, it was catastrophic.

Given that we are second in the league and all the rest, well I'm totally good with where we are.

I'll admit 110% that they are naive. That they have made some terrible decisions. But the alternative is what? An asset stripper? A clueless oligarch? A debt lover?

I will never forget the dire situation in October 2010. It wasn't just dire, it was catastrophic.

Given that we are second in the league and all the rest, well I'm totally good with where we are.

Being second in the league after 3 games is mostly irrelevant - detracts a bit from your first two points, which are more salient. 

FSG are like old money - conservative and sensible in terms of building the club as a financial asset (which they hope will win), but unwilling to take too many risks to greatly increase our chance of winning. 

This window was an odd one because I do think there was more money to spend but I believe what Pearce and others have said about Klopp not wanting anyone if he couldn't get VVD, which obviously isn't down to FSG. 

I'm with you on this. I don't like that they're not football people and that they make way too many mistakes, but I'd rather the club be in the hands of these guys than a dodgy oligarch, a Glazer/H&G type, or be used as a PR front for petro-dollar human rights abusers. Find me an owner (or ownership structure) that can compete financially and sustainably in the PL and isn't tainted in the way a lot of other clubs' owners are and I'll happily gib FSG off.

Edited by goodrobotusses

Don't think you can judge a transfer window till you get a few months into the season. Everyone thought the 11-12 summer window was decent at the time. Same goes for 14-15.

This is true and applies equally to say Utd who people are saying had a good summer.

Personally I think it has been a decent summer assuming Coutinho sticks around today but time will tell.

I'm not talking about FSG. They will meet a fiery end.

Klopp, he can win it with these lads. It requires huge over performance as they have once more been under resourced but Klopp and these lads can do it. Watch them go.

Being second in the league after 3 games is mostly irrelevant - detracts a bit from your first two points, which are more salient.

Aren't Huddersfield third? They never even used to publish a table until about 6 games did they? Meaningless at this point.

Anyway, the window... Pretty happy with the business we did, pretty terrified about the business we didn't do.

Don't think you can judge a transfer window till you get a few months into the season. Everyone thought the 11-12 summer window was decent at the time. Same goes for 14-15.

2002/2003  :cold: