By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

tonight's movie choice. . .

Stevie H

1 hour ago, Swan Red said:

it's so good, also watched the second instalment which I am much less familiar with but which is still very good and so am now onto 3

Hard to choose between 1 and 2 for me and whilst 3 is clearly comparatively weaker it's still a really good film.

18 hours ago, Tommok said:

Hard to choose between 1 and 2 for me and whilst 3 is clearly comparatively weaker it's still a really good film.

True this. It gets a panning generally because of the first two but as a standalone film it is still pretty bloody good.

Puzo and Coppola didn't intend it as a trilogy but a two parter and an epilogue. It's a decent film and nepotism aside Sofia Coppola isn't anywhere near as bad as made out. However not having Duvall hurts it. 

12 hours ago, Stevie H said:

True this. It gets a panning generally because of the first two but as a standalone film it is still pretty bloody good.

7 hours ago, cymrococh said:

Yeah, it's very far from the joke people make it out to be.

Yeah totally - 1 and 2 set a ludicrously high bar to be fair

25 minutes ago, jimbolala said:

Just finished Forrest Gump, I'd forgotten how much of an emotional rollercoaster it was. I'll need to wring my  cheeks out. Wonderful movie

I hate that film.  I watched an advanced audience review filming of it and properly slagged it off in my response form as the reactionary piece of s*** it is, but unfortunately they ignored me and released it.

I was in New Orleans in 1986 for the Super Bowl. Me and my friends were in a bar at about three in the morning and this drunk guy walks in. A bloke who was with us who is didn’t know that well named Tom Flynn yells “hey Winston, come over here and have a drink”.

The guy comes over to the bar, we buy him a drink, and he sits next to me. I ask him what he does and he says he is a writer. Not a very successful one he said. I said that that was too bad. He then said that he had just finished a book and that it would be the best thing that he will ever write in his life. I asked him the name of it and I’ll look out for it. He said “Forrest Gump”.

I said “well I don’t know much about writing novels, but that sounds like a terrible name for a book”.

Edit. I was totally bladdered too.

7 hours ago, Redwire said:

I hate that film.  I watched an advanced audience review filming of it and properly slagged it off in my response form as the reactionary piece of s*** it is, but unfortunately they ignored me and released it.

I read an article years ago about how it's the ultimate right-wing American dream film but I can't remember the arguments now.

59 minutes ago, Bailo said:

I read an article years ago about how it's the ultimate right-wing American dream film but I can't remember the arguments now.

He meets up with many 20th century agents for change and the film basically debunks them or dehumanises them.

It shaped a lot of young impressionable minds in my generation to think that organisations like the black panthers were purely a force for violent wickedness.

It encourages the audience to see that the course of action of Jenny, who rebels against the tide of capitalism, leads to being abused, getting AIDS, dying young. Forrest meanwhile drifts along, goes to war, and is eventually made wealthy with his soldier buddy by a capitalist miracle. 

3 hours ago, New York Red said:

I was in New Orleans in 1986 for the Super Bowl. Me and my friends were in a bar at about three in the morning and this drunk guy walks in. A bloke who was with us who is didn’t know that well named Tom Flynn yells “hey Winston, come over here and have a drink”.

The guy comes over to the bar, we buy him a drink, and he sits next to me. I ask him what he does and he says he is a writer. Not a very successful one he said. I said that that was too bad. He then said that he had just finished a book and that it would be the best thing that he will ever write in his life. I asked him the name of it and I’ll look out for it. He said “Forrest Gump”.

I said “well I don’t know much about writing novels, but that sounds like a terrible name for a book”.

Edit. I was totally bladdered too.

Sounds like a scene from an early draft of the book.

Dislike Forrest Gump immensely.

50 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

He meets up with many 20th century agents for change and the film basically debunks them or dehumanises them.

It shaped a lot of young impressionable minds in my generation to think that organisations like the black panthers were purely a force for violent wickedness.

It encourages the audience to see that the course of action of Jenny, who rebels against the tide of capitalism, leads to being abused, getting AIDS, dying young. Forrest meanwhile drifts along, goes to war, and is eventually made wealthy with his soldier buddy by a capitalist miracle. 

Yes that's it. I loved it when I was a kid but you look back on it now and it's appalling, particularly the Jenny storyline.

On 30/07/2020 at 20:37, Swan Red said:

Puzo and Coppola didn't intend it as a trilogy but a two parter and an epilogue. It's a decent film and nepotism aside Sofia Coppola isn't anywhere near as bad as made out. However not having Duvall hurts it. 

I want to like 3 but I genuinely don’t. The helicopter attack for example, just daft. 
It has good ideas — the Vatican stuff, the mythic incestuous romance — but it’s just not very good imo 

2 hours ago, Jarg Armani said:

Jenny's course is kind of set by having an absolute c*** for a father. 

Forrest's mum will do anything for her son and he commits to everything he does.

2 hours ago, Jarg Armani said:

Yep - it's propaganda. 

5 hours ago, Jarg Armani said:

Hepatitis C apparently, not AIDS