Sign in to follow this  
Serko

Spurs match

Could end up playing Manchester City at a third stadium as Wembley is booked for NFL that day.

Surely a points deduction will follow from this? Spurs have acted massively in bad faith here.

Latest I read was they are having no luck finding another ground and will have to play at Wembley. City might not be too happy about playing on a pitch the day after an nfl game.

Any reason they can't swap the home and away fixtures v city?

Yer wha?

I can't believe that they didn't know about this earlier. It's impossible really. So they got their dispensation to play in two stadiums on false pretenses.

And now it looks like manchester city might get to play them at Twickenham. That's more or less a neutral venue. Imagine City winning the league by 1 point after beating Tottenham at Twickenham whilst no 2 drops points at the New White Hart Lane.

Points deduction is the only option as far as I can see if they play at a third venue. It skews the league and could have been avoided by spurs. 

Latest I read was they are having no luck finding another ground and will have to play at Wembley. City might not be too happy about playing on a pitch the day after an nfl game.

Any reason they can't swap the home and away fixtures v city?

City have refused to

It's the same day. It's out of the question. 

I can't believe that they didn't know about this earlier. It's impossible really. So they got their dispensation to play in two stadiums on false pretenses.

And now it looks like manchester city might get to play them at Twickenham. That's more or less a neutral venue. Imagine City winning the league by 1 point after beating Tottenham at Twickenham whilst no 2 drops points at the New White Hart Lane.

Points deduction is the only option as far as I can see if they play at a third venue. It skews the league and could have been avoided by spurs.

You’re worried about skewing the league so your response is to deduct points? Get a grip

Clubs are apparently not allowed to use 3 home venues in a season.

Normally not even allowed to use 2. Spurs got a special permission, on premises that are now proving to have been misleading.

You’re worried about skewing the league so your response is to deduct points? Get a grip

They are skewing the league for other teams. When Boro postponed a match, they got deducted 3 points. I am not sure if this isn't worse.

This is what Scudamore said about Spurs looking to split home games 50/50 back in 2015:

“For the integrity of the competition. You can’t have 19 home games with 10 at Milton Keynes and nine at Wembley – completely, completely unfair. That won’t be allowed in our competition.”

They got a special dispensation this season on the premise that it would be only very few games.

Spurs aren’t refusing to play a match, like Boro did

Don’t see how the FA won’t be fairly understanding about new stadium build delays. They have a bit of experience in that field.

Simplest solution is to just postpone the match if City won’t swap

Don’t see how the FA won’t be fairly understanding about new stadium build delays.

Because spurs haven't been truthful with them when they obtained their special permission.

Because spurs haven't been truthful with them when they obtained their special permission.

There was an option to switch to Wembley which is being taken up

You nor I have any idea what was known/not known/declared between the parties as to the progress of the build

I find it hard to believe they are only discovering now that it won't be done in time.

So when do you think they knew and what have they gained by lying here? Delaying the ire of fans by a week or three?

They have an option in their agreement to play games at Wembley if their build was delayed until the end of the year and they are exercising it.

So it looks Spurs v City could be postponed. Already playing in two home grounds and having four out of their last five matches at home skews the league enough without a catch-up fixture later in the season.

City have refused to

Also, aren't the fixtures done as Plod don't want both Manc teams playing home the same weekend. Same with us and Everton  

So when do you think they knew and what have they gained by lying here? Delaying the ire of fans by a week or three?.

Getting special permission to play in two stadiums rather than having to play another full season at Wembley.

I thought 4 points deduction was the prescribed penalty for breaking the rule of playing in more than 1 stadium in a season. Spurs had an exemption for the games at Wembley as agreed per the published fixtures - not clear whether that penalty exemption extends to more games having to be played there, whatever the commercial arrangements they have in place with the FA over using Wembley more.

If, as it transpires, the City game cannot go ahead as scheduled - other than at a 3rd location - then it's difficult to see how the PL can justify not imposing the penalty.

Within minutes of the La Liga game in the US being announced yesterday, there was a disgruntled (but joking) Spurs fan calling Talksport to suggest that the Spurs-City game was the perfect opportunity for the PL to get a lead on the Spanish by staging a game offshore, killing 2 birds with one stone. As he said, no need to worry what the fans being messed about, because Spurs obviously don't care anyway.

So when do you think they knew and what have they gained by lying here? Delaying the ire of fans by a week or three?

They have an option in their agreement to play games at Wembley if their build was delayed until the end of the year and they are exercising it.

Project management hat on... If they're saying that the 1st possible date for the opening of that stadium in 10th November, then they've 10 weeks of work left to go on the stadium. 

There's no way that they didnt know that this wasn't going to be completed on time at least 6 weeks ago on that basis (if you assume that literally zero progress has been made in the last 6 weeks). Assuming progress has been made in the last 6 weeks it will be longer ago than that again. 

The only possible way that they would not have known that the new stadium wasnt going to be ready recently and the delay was this material is if something actually destructive happened. You'd thing that that would be publicised if it was that. 

I've got the anecdotal data point from my mate working on the stadium from ages ago that they all knew it was f***ed too, obviously. 

Edited by sutty

Is it the construction itself that isn't safe or just nowhere near completion?

Only specific thing I've read was something about alarm systems not being ready I think.

But would be hilarious if it was structurally unsafe, never gets used and they go bust.