By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Steven Gerrard

Earl Hafler

That Scholes v him stuff is utter b****x.

He could whack it out to Ronaldo and Tevez and be protected by Keane.

Gerrard was doing all four of those players roles in our team.

The whole "he would never have got in Utd's 99 midfield" thing doing the rounds on twitter is nonsense.

Keane was by far the main man in that midfield. After that I'd say Beckham was the most important of the four that year. Scholes had a gift of stealing into the box to score important goals but wasn't the controlling midfielder that he became towards the end of his career. Giggs was a good player but hadnt lived to the hype that he generated at the start of his career.

Gerrard could have taken either Beckham or Scholes's place and improved that midfield.

He really should've kicked Diouf in the ballicks.

He was on French TV slagging off Stevie G, asking what he had done in the game.

Emmanuel Petit shot spitface down quickly, said something like "I am sorry I cannot allow you to say that about Steven Gerrard, immense player."

The alternative question is how many of that midfield 4 could have replaced Gerrard in most of the Liverpool teams he played in and improved them? Only Keane has an argument I'd say, and even that is caveated with him usually having better players around him whenever he was at his best. (And his goal return would have been lower)

The whole "he would never have got in Utd's 99 midfield" thing doing the rounds on twitter is nonsense.

Keane was by far the main man in that midfield. After that I'd say Beckham was the most important of the four that year. Scholes had a gift of stealing into the box to score important goals but wasn't the controlling midfielder that he became towards the end of his career. Giggs was a good player but hadnt lived to the hype that he generated at the start of his career.

Gerrard could have taken either Beckham or Scholes's place and improved that midfield.

Also: who gives a f*** about them?

Why would we entrust a great cohort of youngsters with someone with zero experience of managing just cos he was a great player.

Got his B licence hasn't he I think now? Either way, I doubt he'll be without significant support from other academy staff.

U23s seems to be a mix of youngish lads who have come through the ranks without really threatening to break in, out-of-favour or injured one-time first teamers, and just the occasional prodigy who will play the odd game for them before transitioning ot the first team squad.

I reckon U18s and younger are where the serious developmental stuff goes on.

Edited by kop205

Why would we entrust a great cohort of youngsters with someone with zero experience of managing just cos he was a great player.

Cos he's Steven Gerrard, you think he'll do a great job, you'll put a more experienced guy alongside him and because he's Steven Gerrard.

Kenny got the big gig at a younger age. Bob to help when needed. Went ok iirc.

Well we don't know if that's what's going to happen. Maybe they'll shift responsibilities around and Steven, if he comes in at all, might go in at 18's.

For Bob with Kenny, maybe Stevie Heighway could help out Steven. Maybe it was planned that way.

Who the feck knows.