By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

New New New Music Thread

muleskinner

It's been out a couple of months but I'm currently in thrall to the various artists album Tradi-mods vs Rockers.

In case you're not familar with it is covers/reworkings of Congolese bands (Konono no.1, Kasai Alltstars etc.) by a slightly mad range of western artists - Animal Collectve, Deerhoof, Juana Molina and Andrew Bird are probably the best know (and most conventional - if that's a word that can be used of AC and Deerhoof) but there are some real off the wall entries as well - Shackleton, Optimo, Mark Ernestus etc.

It's a warm, wondrous and humane record.

It's been out a couple of months but I'm currently in thrall to the various artists album Tradi-mods vs Rockers.

In case you're not familar with it is covers/reworkings of Congolese bands (Konono no.1, Kasai Alltstars etc.) by a slightly mad range of western artists - Animal Collectve, Deerhoof, Juana Molina and Andrew Bird are probably the best know (and most conventional - if that's a word that can be used of AC and Deerhoof) but there are some real off the wall entries as well - Shackleton, Optimo, Mark Ernestus etc.

Thanks for that. Love Konono no 1.

Ta, gonna get this, love Shackleton. Mark Ernestus is a genius too. Have you got the Tony Allen chop up album CC? Some fantastic reworks on that.

The Peter Gordon re-issue is great.

Had a bit of a disco thang going on over the last year or so inspired by Arthur Russell (as ever) and fuelled by 'Turn The Beat Around', 'Love Saves The Day', 'Hold On To Your Dreams' and 'The Disco Files'.

There have also been some quite brilliant re-issues and compilations released over the same period too. The obvious place to start is (as ever) Arthur Russell and then onto the likes of 'The Blank Generation' by Bob Blank and co, Walter Gibbons 'Jungle Music', almost anything by Patrick Cowley and then 'Sherm Sticks and Other Nasty Joints' and the 'Peoples Potential Unlimited Family Album' are well worth checking out too.

Ace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqiLOvFynPY

Probably behind the curve here but just been pointed in the direction of Y Niwl - good stuff indeed.

Supporting Gruff Rhys on his solo tour I think.

I really don't get this. They are hugely popular among Cardiff's musos, but they are The Shadows.

Not The-Shadows-on-Acid, not The-Shadows-for-the-new-millenium, just The Shadows.

Also, why the f*ck is Gruff not playing Cardiff on his tour?

Oh well, got Jonny to look forward to.

That didn't take long.

Candylion has got charm coming out of it's a***.

Really late to this as it was the Y Niwl link that made me check out Gruff the last couple of weeks. Will give it some more listens. I don't think i could listen to The Terror....... again, terrible.

To be honest Ive only the last few months started listening to the Furry's, i like it. Finger on the pulse as always.

Edited by D.Boon

Really late to this as it was the Y Niwl link that made me check out Gruff the last couple of weeks. Will give it some more listens. I don't think i could listen to The Terror....... again, terrible.

To be honest Ive only the last few months started listening to the Furry's, i like it. Finger on the pulse as always.

Not heard that, but I know it's hardly indicative of his other stuff.