By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Footballer Held After Kids Die In Crash

Footballer Held After Kids Die In Crash

Updated:13:58, Saturday June 07, 2008

A 25-year-old professional footballer has been arrested after a crash on the M6 in which two children died this morning, Sky News sources say.

The children, both boys and aged eight and 10, were killed after the smash involving two cars shortly before 5.45am.

The man arrested was driving a black Range Rover and was not hurt in the crash.

He is being held on suspicious of causing death by dangerous driving.

The crash happened on the motorway's southbound carriageway near junction 16 in Staffordshire.

The dead children had been travelling in a silver Toyota Previa people carrier with two other children and two men.

Talking about the response by emergency services, a West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: "On arrival, crews found two cars which had been involved in a collision. One of the cars had left the carriageway."

It was the people carrier that went down and embankment and hit trees.

The spokesman continued: "One child was confirmed dead at the scene. A second was taken on blue lights to the University Hospital of North Staffordshire. Staff at the hospital had been put on alert awaiting the arrival of the child who later died.

"A number of other people have also been taken to hospital."

One man is believed to be in a critical condition in hospital.

Witnesses are being asked to call the Central Motorways Police Group on 0121 626 1831.

More follows...

Sky News

That's horrible

Just because he's been charged with those offences, does not mean he is guilty of them. It may be that he is insured, but hasn't been able to prove as much so far. Admittedly however, if there is no dispute that he was driving the car then the excess alcohol charge will almost certainly be admitted as he's clearly provided a positive reading.

Edited by psl

Guest Raisbeck
Just because he's been charged with those offences, does not mean he is guilty of them.

Well the insurance and alcohol would be pretty much dead certs you would think. They do a second analysis after a breath test to conform the blood alcohol before the charge.

The dangerous driving will obviously be a matter for the courts to work out.

Well the insurance and alcohol would be pretty much dead certs you would think. They do a second analysis after a breath test to conform the blood alcohol before the charge.

The dangerous driving will obviously be a matter for the courts to work out.

See my edit. If there is no dispute that he was driving, the excess alcohol charge is unlikely to be contested. No Insurance charges are often brought and then dropped at the first appearance when a valid insurance certificate is produced and checked. If he admits driving the car then the fact he was over the limit woud almost certainly mean a plea to causing death by dangerous driving also. Will be interesting to see if he's granted bail at court tomorrow. I'd guess so (presuming he has no previous convictions) but it will be a close decision.

indeed. anyone who causes death while diving drunk should at the very least be done for manslaughter.

I did hear it's a mandatory second degree murder in the US? Terrible tragedy this, and with the young lad hanging himself this has been a sh*t week.

You wake up in hospital with a broken neck and back + various other nasty injuries and learn that your 2 sons are dead.

It's beyond imagining how you live through that. Every second must be a crushingly painful eternity.

Apparently the collision was in the middle lane at 6am on Saturday morning, which suggests - given that its likely to be relativley empty at that time of the morning - that he was driving like a c***.

Probably still p***ed from the night before.

His life is over too, not that you have any sympathy for him like.

Really awful story, your heart goes out to the father and the families. Luke's family must be devastated too.

I think he's an idiotic c*nt,but he didn't mean to kill anyone.

I feel huge sympathy for him.

i'd only feel sorry for him if it was a pure accident, if he was drunk...................... we all know the dangers of drink driving.

We do.

Do you know anybody who's ever had one too many and then drove?

I do-and I think they were idiotic c*nts.

However,they aren't bad people-and the only difference between them and him,is that he hit somebody when over the limit.

He doesn't deserve my sympathy,but he's got it.

Why people drink and drive is beyond me.It ruins lives,simple as.