Sign in to follow this  
Sir Tokyo Sexwale

Liverpool vs Manchester United, Premier League, Sun 19 Jan 16.30

In fairness to the Norwegian Hodgson, he got his tactics spot on in the return match.

Is it a return match if it was played first?

Really is about time that Mo scores against this lot.

Best get 3 to make up for previous games.

Think if we score early against these we could absolutely spanner them. They're awful defensively. Get one in the first ten or fifteen and we'll take them to pieces. Which is an unusual state of mind to be in against Man United. We're all normally more nervous than long tailed cats in rocking chair factories.

They’ll sit back and play on the break as they did at City earlier in the season. It’s the only way they can beat us

For the Spur game, iIt seemed to me that Firmino was dropping deep almost alongside Ox whilst Henderson was playing Right DM and Wijnaldum Left DM. It looked a 4-2-2-2 to me at times. 

I had a look back and found a few patterns. Henderson and Wijnaldum took turns to play in a back 3 and spread the backline and let the full backs play higher. What interests me, is the hand signals between the players. It gives an indication of what the plan appears to be. I could only track this when Liverpool had the ball deep. I wonder if this was the approach to be different and leave both full backs high up the pitch to stretch Spurs. 

For what its worth, this almost never happened in the 2nd half, so there was a change in approach. The full backs were not going high automatically. They did attack, but much more, it was them providing a bit of width and option for the center backs. 

I post this here in case we see a similar approach if Man Utd try to play similar in the sense that they have Rashford and Martial ( fast like Son and Moura) but may leave the rest deep. Maybe we leave TAA and Robertson high on the wings if United flip to a back 3 with wing backs. However, we didnt adopt this approach against Sheffield United when they played at Anfield with a 5-3-2.

But yeah, why I posted this is that I found the hand signals between the players at certain times interesting, especially when Henderson had the ball and simultaneously, Gomez, Robertson, Gini all made the same hand signal where to play it.

The video is here if you want to see these examples --> https://eplfootballmatch.com/tottenham-hotspur-vs-liverpool-full-match-premier-league-11-january-2020/6/

0.25: Henderson drops in beside Gomez and TAA moves forward up the line. Salah moves infield to bring Rose and Ox comes to the ball trying to drag Son and leave TAA in lots of space.

5.21: Wijnaldum drops in beside Gomez, the ball goes the opposite way with Henderson at DCM. Henderson waves to Wijnaldum to stay and Wijnaldum acknowledges with his hand up

6.10: Liverpool have the ball deep and Henderson drops in beside Gomez - 30secs later, Liverpool lose the ball and Henderson is in the right back position covering - though with poor ball control in this instance 

10.30: At this specific point, Wijnaldum passes the ball back when on the left side to VVD. With the ball gone, he turns to Robbo and tells him to stay high. 15sec later, Wijnaldum is in the LCB/LB position and Robbo is high on the wing with Mane coming in field.

12.36: From a goal kick, VVD looks to be signalling maybe to Wijnaldum. At 12.43, Robertson starts to trot down the line and Wijnaldum drops back a few yards beside VVD. At 12.50-12.52, Henderson is looking behind him and signalling to Gomez (it looks like to go wider for a better angle to receive a pass). Between 12.55-12.59, Mane take the ball in a new direction and Henderson immediately takes a few steps back. At 12.59, he receives it from Ox and Liverpool have dragged Spurs away from our right. You can see at 12.59 that Firmino (on the left) is signalling to pass it to TAA with all of Liverpool's front 3 on the left and ready to make a dart across the box. The situation didnt work out and TAA had to turn back to Henderson and play it back. At 13.06, Gomez, Wijnaldum and Robertson are all pointing at Henderson where to pass the ball. At 13.20, Mane losses the ball but Liverpool regain it quickly. In that time, Wijnaldum is dropping to LB and Henderson is dropping in between VVD and Gomez.

17.30: Spurs make a clearance and Liverpool collect it. Henderson drops in beside VVD so that Robertson doesn't have to fall back to provide width and Liverpool can prevent Spurs cornering them in as the ball can be switched easily if Spurs push up quickly.

45.42 injury time: Looks like TAA is signalling into Henderson from a goal kick. At 45.55, TAA is gone up the line and Henderson has the ball in a back 3

47.00 injury time: Wijnaldum drop in between VVD and Gomez and stays there for 3-4 passes from one-side to the other.

71.30: Henderson drops in beside Gomez but there is little movement from TAA, this hasn't prompted an immediate move forward.

72.30: Liverpool play the ball back from the Spurs half to the back 2. Henderson and Wijnaldum are ahead of them but they each make a more to either side of their respective centre back. Wijnaldum had been in this position about a minute beforehand. VVD plays the ball to the right towards Henderson. Gini seems to make a movement towards Henderson to tell him to play higher and he'll keep the width on the left. As it turns out Aurier goes down and Henderson puts it out after getting the ball from VVD. At 73.39, the ball is dropped by the ref to restart the game on Liverpool's right and TAA passes it back. Wijnaldum drops towards LB beside VVD and leave Robertson high. Wijnaldum gets the ball but gets caught in possesion with Son having his chance but firing over. 

Edited by Rory Fitzgerald

You're wasted on here Rory

I’m more interested in patterns sometimes, if something is repeated then it might give an insight into what was worked on. Those examples don’t lead to anything great but they were consistent. Oh, and it’s a Tuesday, incredibly boring day today ;)

65.32 - You see Henderson pass it back and to the left, back and to the left, back and to the left

Genesis volume 1

65.32 - You see Henderson pass it back and to the left, back and to the left, back and to the left

I turn the page to 22.45 to find out what happens, ready to roll the dice.

What, like their whole squad?

I knew someone was going to write this. Had a bet with myself it would be you.

I knew someone was going to write this. Had a bet with myself it would be you.

Ha! Can I share the winnings?