Sign in to follow this  
cymrococh

Podcasts

Yeah it's great, Carra pulls no punches. I know they were raving about GH but it sounds like he more or less destroyed Owen's career because of anxiety over his job

The story about the hamstring is a mad one and his brother the doctor, Serge (The Burbs - "...and my brother, The Doctor")

You'd hope things have changed a bit since then

I’m surprised it happened back then given Houllier’s experiences working with the younger players at Clairefontaine.

The latest Carra podcast is with Michael Owen.

They mention quite a few things that I haven’t heard before, especially about Houllier and how his move back from Madrid fell through.

Worth a listen

The Agent sabbatical story still absolutely reeks

There aren't really any funny Gazza stories. They are all pretty bleak.

Except for the one when they’re in a pub in Soho, shortly before the 1998 World Cup and Danny Baker and Chris Evans are there of course - and they’re paying 5 bellies a grand a time to let them burn his nose with a lighter for 3 seconds whilst they’re downing banana vodkas

Then the society for the prevention of accidents got on it and issued a statement condemning it, which was very astute and helpful

Of course it’s bleak but if you’re a fan of black comedy....

There aren't really any funny Gazza stories. They are all pretty bleak.

The Danish interview was funny. Clever as hell I thought. 

So much of the rest is bleak though. I saw some film of his one-man show that was grim as f*ck.

You'd hope things have changed a bit since then

The point that struck me most was that he ruptured his hamstring, but there was no surgery or other intervention done. So at 21 he was declining, in his own words. Never really recovered properly form that.

The point that struck me most was that he ruptured his hamstring, but there was no surgery or other intervention done. So at 21 he was declining, in his own words. Never really recovered properly form that.

He said he was never the same player from 19 onwards which is tragic really

I listened to the Craig Bellamy / Carragher one today, it was good.

That's so brilliant. The bit about how much he hated Darren Eadie because he didn't think he put the effort in tells you so much about these elite players.

Yeah. Also he says he understands why people hold him going to the Mancs against him - but still sounds really surprised and hurt that he gets abuse for it.

Interesting interview but even though you get the background behind all his moves I still end up thinking the same way about him that I did before it

There’s a massive amount of rewriting of history going on there by Michael Owen. I still remember there were quotes from him and his agent throughout the previous season about ‘there’s no rush on the contract’. It was definitely being wound down and he definitely didn’t take any action to stop that.

There’s also no way he was planning on going to Real for just one season as he makes out in that podcast. I’m sure he may have changed his mind fairly quickly but when he signed his contract I really don’t think he was expecting to be making a return the following summer.

The other thing I remember about the Newcastle deal, was how prominent a role Shearer played in it all. A player who had the same agent as Owen. Interesting that at that time Newcastle had such insight as to how they could get this deal over the line and potentially outflank Liverpool... given the Owen claims he told them he didn’t want to go there.  

Oh and for all his ‘love’ for the club he more or less admits he signed for the Mancs thinking ‘well feck ye then’.

He said he was never the same player from 19 onwards which is tragic really

He clearly lost some of his explosive pace but I can remember the purple patch he had in 2002 or 2003 when for about half a season he couldn’t be stopped. He was unplayable. He was ghosting past players at close proximity in the box.

He may not have had the same raw attributes by then, but he was certainly a better player. 

Yeah. Also he says he understands why people hold him going to the Mancs against him - but still sounds really surprised and hurt that he gets abuse for it.

Interesting interview but even though you get the background behind all his moves I still end up thinking the same way about him that I did before it

He should have sacked his agent if the only choices he had were United and Hull

I have zero sympathy for Owen, outside of his injuries.

He had a decent career but it could have been so much better were it not for poor choices.

Would have been interesting to how his career would have panned out under Rafa

Exactly

The thing with Owen is, he must have factored into his decision to go to United that we’d hate him.

So he got his money and his medal as the upside, and now he can have his heartbreak. It’s perfectly fair.

It would be easier to sympathise with him in some way if he wasn't a dreadful human being.

Elaborate, ye

The thing with Owen is, he must have factored into his decision to go to United that we’d hate him.

So he got his money and his medal as the upside, and now he can have his heartbreak. It’s perfectly fair.

He denies any money being a factor talk all the way through the podcast. The way Carragher keeps asking him makes me think he’s chatting s***.

He just comes across as somebody i would never want to spend any time with.

The dismissive snort at the start when Carra jokingly called him Welsh made me want to punch him

Not like he was after money at that stage. Could easily have said to Rafa I’ll come back, happy on bench, happy on pay as play and I’ll help the youth come through etc.

He went for the money. Now he realises he needed more.

Him and Phil should start a club. A don’t leave Liverpool club. Be a movement to save future players from the heartache to come.

Listened to it today. Very good.

Thing that stood out for me was how stupid - if he was genuine - Owen was for thinking he’d get back to Liverpool almost immediately after these moves. He said he agreed with Newcastle that he could join Liverpool after a year. Did he check all this with Liverpool?

I did feel a pang of sympathy for him though.

Edited by Swipe

It was absolute lunacy to go to Man Utd. But looking back how good was he when he came through. He was better than Mbappe those first few years.

Can't agree with that. While Michael Owen was good until that injury in Leeds, Mbappe is on another level, ha has pace, strenght and a wee bit more football smartness than Owen.