By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Front threes

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Owen on the left, Fowler on the right, Heskey through the middle was a missed opportunity. Would have looked mad at the time (three strikers seemed reckless; and inverting wide players raised eyebrows a couple of years later when Houllier did it with Kewell and Diouf). But with hindsight I think it would have worked brilliantly.

Gerrard and Hamann at centre mid with Barmby or Smicer or Murphy or Berger.

Edited by Kvarme Ate My Food

I think Owen on the left, Fowler on the right, Heskey through the middle was a missed opportunity. Would have looked mad at the time (three strikers seemed reckless; and inverting wide players raised eyebrows a couple of years later when Houllier did it with Kewell and Diouf). But with hindsight I think it would have worked brilliantly.

I remember before we played that Finnish side in the UEFA cup qualifier (?), Houllier trolled us all by saying he'd come up with a formation where Fowler, Owen, Heskey, Litmanen and Berger could all play together. Pretty certain they never did.

Edited by cymrococh

I remember before we played that Finnish side in the UEFA cup qualifier (?), Houllier trolled us all by saying he'd come up with a formation where Fowler, Owen, Heskey, Litmanen and Berger could all play together. Pretty certain they never did.

My Dad is almost 50

Not sure Robbie had the pace to play wider at that stage. Also look at the work that Mane and Salah put in to track back, particularly Mane. I love Robbie and Owen was great,but neither are that sort of player.

This would have been interesting. Heskey was played wide at the time and it ruined his LFC career.

Beardsley was a remarkable player, possibly underrated by Liverpool fans due to his exploits at Newcastle, and would have been sensational under Klopp in the Salah role.

In most situations, left midfield is the trouble position in the front six

With Mane, Firmino and Salah having shown us how it’s done, can you imagine some of our previous forwards in a similar formation?

For example, could we have played Owen and Fowler either side of Heskey?

Barnes, Aldo and Beardsley as a three?

Beardsley, Barnes, Houghton. Aldridge on the bench in the Origi role. Barnes as a better Firmino.