By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

EU Referendum

DazzlaJ

EU Referendum  

327 members have voted

1. 1. In, out, undecided

• Stay
    • Leave
    • Not sure

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Tommok said:

f***s sake what's that all about then? 

Just cos they think "we're all struggling" or something? 

There is no solidarity - the cafe owners got called snowflakes, remoaners and were accused of being part of the woke brigade. It's just scared people being scared

7 hours ago, Gethin said:

... a decent chunk of it is people who've worked in hospitality for years having an enforced 12-18 months out of the game, realising that the hours & pay are generally not great and not wanting to go back into it now things are re-opening.

And some of it is staff having time away and coming back to realise that customers are c***s. 

I mean, it's not a shock that the Great British public can be horrible monsters. But I've spoken with a few in the hospitality industry and they all say the enforced time away from normal society has made people behave even worse towards staff. 

It's the Toryfication of Britain*. Everyone wants to be like Rees-Mogg and bully the young & poorly paid hired help.

Edit: by Britain I maybe just mean England.

Edited by Cam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cam said:

And some of it is staff having time away and coming back to realise that customers are c***s. 

I mean, it's not a shock that the Great British public can be horrible monsters. But I've spoken with a few in the hospitality industry and they all say the enforced time away from normal society has made people behave even worse towards staff. 

It's the Toryfication of Britain. Everyone wants to be like Rees-Mogg and bully the young & poorly paid hired help.

Yeah I can totally believe this 

17 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

Where is this cafe? Royston Vasey?

Very close ;)

2 minutes ago, Cam said:

It's the Toryfication of Britain. Everyone wants to be like Rees-Mogg and bully the young & poorly paid hired help.

A lot of it is fear that if they don't bully somebody, then somebody will bully them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

We've got 2 fuel stations where I live...one a BP, and they have one active petrol pump (due to mechanical failure, not lack of fuel) and queue of cars is about 300m long. Which is all the way back to the Sainsburys where they have all pumps available and the queue is now a mile long all the way to the other end of the town (one end of town to the other is about 2 miles)

It's kicking off with police now ordering people to feck off home 😆

Lemmings, innit...

14 hours ago, Cam said:

It's the Toryfication of Britain*. Everyone wants to be like Rees-Mogg and bully the young & poorly paid hired help.

Edit: by Britain I maybe just mean England.

We live in a system that creates individuals stripped of control of their lives and a community in which to ground themselves and it yields these outcomes of people trying to assert themselves over others

1 hour ago, sammy & a said:

We live in a system that creates individuals stripped of control of their lives and a community in which to ground themselves and it yields these outcomes of people trying to assert themselves over others

That's what I said but you said it better!

And this is why 'Taking Back Control' was such a potent phrase. 

It's like, in the Transition project, we basically try to show people that they have the power to change their communities and when you show this to people, they are like 'f*** you!!!!!' cos it is so alien for them to think in this way. And even some of the most 'progressive' people want to bully and dominate others. Learning how to, for want of a better phrase, 'play nicely' with each other is one of the biggest challenges we face and is absolutely fundamental to what happens to us in the future. We've started using things like sociocracy as a way to share power and governance and it is slowly working but, f***ing hell, it is hard work.

Edited by pipnasty

20 hours ago, sammy & a said:

What’s sociocracy Pip?

It's a system of governance based on the idea of consent rather than consensus - a tool kit that allows all voices to be heard equally. It stops the same old voices being heard over and over again - one of the problems being that the same old voices don't want to give up their power. And rather than representative democracy, it allows people who do the work to make decisions about the work they are doing, kinda like workers co-operatives. I've come to the conclusion that if we keep allowing the same people to make the same decisions in the same way that they always have, we end up with the same results that we have now. So, true democratic reform is one of the most important things we can change and we need a shared toolkit for this which includes sociocracy. We can do this at a very small scale because tools like sociocracy are fractal which means that they can scale up very easily - the idea that organisms are fractal comes from permaculture principles or the idea that we work with nature as opposed to against it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pipnasty said:

It's a system of governance based on the idea of consent rather than consensus - a tool kit that allows all voices to be heard equally. It stops the same old voices being heard over and over again - one of the problems being that the same old voices don't want to give up their power. And rather than representative democracy, it allows people who do the work to make decisions about the work they are doing, kinda like workers co-operatives. I've come to the conclusion that if we keep allowing the same people to make the same decisions in the same way that they always have, we end up with the same results that we have now. So, true democratic reform is one of the most important things we can change and we need a shared toolkit for this which includes sociocracy. We can do this at a very small scale because tools like sociocracy are fractal which means that they can scale up very easily - the idea that organisms are fractal comes from permaculture principles or the idea that we work with nature as opposed to against it.

Any good places to start on reading up on that? Decent "101" sort of guide?

1 minute ago, Gethin said:

Any good places to start on reading up on that? Decent "101" sort of guide?

This is probably the best introduction - certainly on 'how' to do it. But I think the 'how' also reveals the 'why'

Edited by pipnasty
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Slight aside - just found out a GP friend of mine, who happens to have a HGV licence (so she can drive her horses about) received a letter from the Ministry of Transport asking her if she wanted a job as a lorry driver…

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cobs said:

Slight aside - just found out a GP friend of mine, who happens to have a HGV licence (so she can drive her horses about) received a letter from the Ministry of Transport asking her if she wanted a job as a lorry driver…

What's the salary?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...