By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

QPR (a)

David Hodgson

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of pressure on Redknapp now. Hate playing teams when that happens. Even the s***test teams always have one last hurah before the manager gets the boot.

we'll thrash them 5-0 this weekend and end Redknapp's managerial career

I don't think we'll play it as our first choice given Sturridge doesn't seem to be as effective up front by himself. If we do then fair enough on current form Lallana as he's playing better than the alternatives.

I fear this is right but I'm hoping it isn't as our summer transfers appear to have been based around the idea he can. I'll wait to see how we play with that front six first.

I fear this is right but I'm hoping it isn't as our summer transfers appear to have been based around the idea he can. I'll wait to see how we play with that front six first.

Possibly the plan was to reduce the goals conceded column by going 4-2-3-1, with two holding and the front four attempting to emulate last seasons freestyle attack. No Suarez but one extra forward. This could also see Henderson used on the right in the more difficult fixtures - Rodgers touched on this in a preseason presser.

However, by September, Sturridge and Lallana are injured, two of the likely candidates for the position alongside Gerrard are also unavailable and instead of kicking on from last season, we're treading water.

Rodgers might be reluctant to use two centre forwards because he wants the other players to familiarise themselves with the new formation, so Henderson's been restricted in his role and Markovic has started more than was initially intended during his first couple of months.

I think against QPR we could have a front six of

----------------Gerrard---------

---Henderson-------Lallana------

----------------Sterling----------------

--------Balotelli----Sturridge--------

After 60, rest Sterling, move Gerrard into an advanced position and play Can ( if fit ) or Lucas in the holding role. Sturridge for Coutinho during the second half as well.

Possibly the plan was to reduce the goals conceded column by going 4-2-3-1, with two holding and the front four attempting to emulate last seasons freestyle attack. No Suarez but one extra forward. This could also see Henderson used on the right in the more difficult fixtures - Rodgers touched on this in a preseason presser.

I'm not massively keen on Henderson playing centre-mid in a 4-2-3-1. He is much better suited to playing right midfield in a 4-3-3 or a midfield diamond - that's where we get the benefit of his running power.

The idea of using him on the right in a 4-2-3-1 in more difficult fixtures is interesting and similar to how Chelsea use Ramires, another hard-running midfielder.

My concern with the 4-2-3-1 is that it places heavy demands on the main striker. If that striker is a Drogba or a Suarez or a Costa then that's ok. With Sturridge I'm not so sure.

Edited by fred milne

@JamesPearceEcho

Rodgers confirms that both Allen and Can will be back in the squad for Sunday's trip to QPR.

@thisisanfield

BR: We’ll see how Daniel Sturridge is tomorrow. He’s training, looking well. Emre Can’s back in, Joe Allen’s back in.

Edited by Swipe

@JamesPearceEcho

Rodgers confirms that both Allen and Can will be back in the squad for Sunday's trip to QPR.

@thisisanfield

BR: We’ll see how Daniel Sturridge is tomorrow. He’s training, looking well. Emre Can’s back in, Joe Allen’s back in.

That suggests Sturridge is unlikely to play

I'm not massively keen on Henderson playing centre-mid in a 4-2-3-1. He is much better suited to playing right midfield in a 4-3-3 or a midfield diamond - that's where we get the benefit of his running power.

The idea of using him on the right in a 4-2-3-1 in more difficult fixtures is interesting and similar to how Chelsea use Ramires, another hard-running midfielder.

My concern with the 4-2-3-1 is that it places heavy demands on the main striker. If that striker is a Drogba or a Suarez or a Costa then that's ok. With Sturridge I'm not so sure.

Agree - just saying that it seems to have been how the season has developed