What's needed to move forward?

richwilks

Who should we be looking at now to move us forward in the summer and will the money be there to spend?

In reality I don't see the need for another big money forward to come is as the Gerrard/Torres combination is clearly working. What we do need though is suitable replacements for both players if injuries catch up with them again.

Benayoun is more than capable of playing the off the striker role, he's very different to Gerrard but would offer good back up. I think Pacheco is another, who given the chance, could offer another type of cover in the hole position.

We just don't have anyone in the side who can offer what Torres offers. Personally I'd like to see us go for Daniel Sturridge who is on a free at the end of the season, is strong, direct and quick and would provide good cover for Torres as well as being a player with massive potential.

I think we're well covered in goal, we've got 3 good left backs fighting it out now and providing we can keep Agger and Sami wants to stay for another season then we don't need to move for anyone in the centre of defence.

At right back I think we need competition for Arbeloa rather than a direct replacement. Arbeloa has proven himself this season in my eyes but he does need somebody to keep him on his toes and Degen isn't that man. I think Micah Richards would be a good shout although could be expensive and would probably look for regular football, maybe David Wheater as well who could cover both positions or Kuba who could cover right wing as well.

Central midfield is another area we're well stocked in with Masch, Lucas, Alonso and the ability to drop Gerrard in their if needed but I get the feeling that we might see Barry come this summer, hopefully not at the expense of Alonso though. We don't necessarily need improvement there but Barry would offer cover on the left side if he does come.

Left wing I think we need to improve. Riera had a cracking start to his Liverpool career but has dropped off at an alarming rate and Babel just doesn't look to have the ability his attributes says he should have. It would be good to look at someone like David Silva, with Valencia struggling for cash a move could materialise and he'd certainly improve our starting XI and is an incredibly skilful player.

Right wing again needs improving with only really Kuyt as an option, Benayoun isn't the same player when asked to hog the line. Someone like Lennon would be ideal and offer a real drive that we have lacking at the moment, someone who can offer us real pace on the flank and give us another option which we haven't got at the moment.

Realistically we'd be talking in the region of £20 million for Silva, £10 million for Lennon and maybe £7-8 million for Wheater/Richards (although there are probably better options we should be looking at at right back) and Sturridge on a free.

Would that sort of money be made available? If so then I think that would address the real issues we have at the moment and push us forward.