By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Liverpool Linked With Gareth Barry on SSN

ChrisC

Guest Prongsy
De La Red, if only for the name would be my first choice

There is also the option of moving gerrard back and playing someone like Berbatov/ Diego/ VDV behind Torres

When you look at City trying to sign Diego for 10m, then us trying to sign Barry (allegedly) for 12m - it sort of makes you sick.

I just want Alonso to stay, I don't think we'll replace him with anyone better.

I'd like to see this though...

---------------Mascherano-------------

-----------Gerrard-----Diego

Babel------------------------------New

------------------Torres

With Gerrard swapping between the defensive position Alonso plays, to the attacking in that above formation. He's more than capable of that.

I think to win the league we need to be more attacking against the poorer sides.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think Barry would be an excellent goalscoring replacement for Alonso, if he left. Paired with Masch in our current setup, he'd offer goals, get forward, and we'd have a natural left footer in the midfield, he'd balance us like Agger did at the back. He's a leader on the pitch too, he's big and strong, gets about well, plenty versatile, good in the air, takes a decent pen - to be honest, I see no downside to him whatsoever. Be sad to see Alonso go, but Barry offers a lot of positives.

I'd much rather we persuade Alonso to stick around. However, if the lad is determined to go back to Spain then Barry is as close a replacement as we are likely to find.

When you look at City trying to sign Diego for 10m, then us trying to sign Barry (allegedly) for 12m - it sort of makes you sick.

They just make these prices up though. I think £12m is pretty realistic for Barry, but these hacks are often way out with their estimations on foreign players whom I suspect they don't know much about.

Last week Ronaldinho was apparently being touted for £12m which I said was utter b*llocks and now the talk is about £22m. I'd be surprised if it wasn't more again despite his star having fallen a bit lately.

By the same token I'd be extremely surprised if Diego (who I've followed since he played for Santos and I'd love us to sign by the way) went for £10m considering his form, status, age and contract. Why would Bremen sell for that price?

It's another badly made up amount, I think the guy would cost an absolute minimum of £15m and maybe more depending on which big clubs make a serious move for him.

Regardless though I'd love to see us get him in. Diego and Dani Alves would have a major, positive influence on our style of play, making us more fluid and providing width and options on formation. Just signing those two with Riise, Voronin and Pennant moving on I think is realsitic, and would be a hugely successful summer for me.

I'd estimate those two would cost around £30-35m realistically, with us recouping about £12-15m. Everyone else I'd keep, I don't think we need wholesale changes and many of the squad players are nicely settled now and know their roles.

Edited by Leo No.8

I'd much rather we persuade Alonso to stick around. However, if the lad is determined to go back to Spain then Barry is as close a replacement as we are likely to find.

Disagree - I'll bet you a tenner with £12m Rafa could find someone better and younger in Spain, Portugal, Argentina or Brazil - and get change.

Diego and Dani Alves would have a major, positive influence on our style of play, making us more fluid and providing width and options on formation. Just signing those two with Riise, Voronin and Pennant moving on I think is realsitic, and would be a hugely successful summer for me.

With Aurelio's fitness record?

With Aurelio's fitness record?

Yes.

With Alves coming in (who can play at left back as well by the way) on the right, Arbeloa would be cover for the left if Aurelio is injured, with the highly promising Insua providing the next level of backup.

I think with a pool of Finnan, Alves, Aurelio, Arbeloa, Insua and Carragher able to fill in on either side we'd have the full back positions very nicely covered.

Yes.

With Alves coming in (who can play at left back as well by the way) on the right, Arbeloa would be cover for the left if Aurelio is injured, with the highly promising Insua providing the next level of backup.

I think with a pool of Finnan, Alves, Aurelio, Arbeloa, Insua and Carragher able to fill in on either side we'd have the full back positions very nicely covered.

Think you're spot on, small injections of top quality rather than another mass overhaul which sacrifices skill for numbers is surely the way to go now.

I'm also a huge fan of the Brazilian Double Act of Diego and Alves.

Fantasy formation time with quality in depth squad:

------Reina---------

Alves-Carta-Agger-Aurelio

---Alonso--Monster---

Gerrard--Diego--Babel

-------Torres----

Subs:

Sami

Skrtel

Arbeloa

Leiva

Benny

Kuyt

Crouch

-------

Finnan

Plessis

Nemeth

Insua

Guest DanTheDaggerman

I don't think it is a case of people having specific positions in that line of three. There is a case for a lot of fluidity in those positions; to be able to drag defenders out of position to let the other two midfielders and Torres have more space. So it is more a question of "Is Gerrard and Diego" a better combination of players than "Gerrard and Kuyt".

Guest the Dude abides
Veggard Heggem was a good player

Took the words out of my mouth. Would have been fantastic were it not for injury.

From the takeover thread:

http://www.ynwa.tv/forum/index.php?s=&...t&p=2081957

"We have some signings for the next season done. They are senior players for the first team and young players for the first team and reserve team. Two of them are really close, young players, and one senior player is done. He talks good English, but is not English. I'm not giving any more clues! You need to look for Bosman players and sometimes you need to do it quickly and go for cheap players."

We're signing Thierry Henry!

Guest Anders Honoré
Disagree - I'll bet you a tenner with £12m Rafa could find someone better and younger in Spain, Portugal, Argentina or Brazil - and get change.

Lucas was probably the best bet for that from south america and he's not ready to fil alonso's shoes.

Quality players aren't just hanging around at obscure clubs all the time waiting to be plucked off to a major club.