By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Liverpool Linked With Gareth Barry on SSN

ChrisC

Guest Kaizer
Why ?

I think he is better than M.Johnson, he has dominated matches in the CL for Rosenborg against top class teams, he is young and even if he had a set back two seasons ago because of an terrible injury against Olympiakos in the CL.

Per_Ciljan_Skjelbre_219254c.jpg

He found his feet again last season and showed that he will be a star player if he make the right choices in his career, we offered him a contract as a 15 year old, but he turned us down because he wanted to finish school in Norway and since he got his debut for Rosenborg as a 16 year old he probably did the right thing.

He has got technique, drive, stamina and vision, the only thing he could improve upon is his goalscoring record, he is seen as one of the brightest talents in Europe and if we dont get him another top club will, thats why.

He would be able to do a job straight away, just like Anderson has done for the mancs, but I could see Skjelbred doing a bit better.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kaizer
Do you consider Egil Østenstad one of the greatest strikers to have ever played the game?

No I dont, but he had some great performances for Soton against the mancs. :lol:

Guest Prongsy

His naming proves he is a red, de la Red, de la Red.

born to be a red his name said, de la red, de la red.

we got the red from sunny spain,

he's got big balls and a great red name

ruben de la red, liverpools number 63

You know it makes sense.

Edited by Prongsy

But Lee, what you're really saying there is we should pay £12m for a utility player who is not first choice necessarily in any position when we don't have the resources (unless DIC get us by summer**) that United have to play with. Barry is very decent, but not that good. We have Alonso, Lucas, Masch, Gerrard and the emerging Plessis in the middle, Riise, Finnan, Arbeloa and Insua for left back. If anything, we want one very good player in eitrher of those positions, preferably given our budget restraints a very good LB - which isn't Barry.

** should this happen, buy everyone and emit long, lingering evil laugh.

I wouldn't buy him as a utility player.

Left-back - nailed on, and better than Riise, Arbeloa, Aurelio and Insua (who ?) put together. Keeps the ball very well, two-footed (a bizarre concept, I know) and exactly the mentality we need.

Do we want to compete or not ? That is the question....

The Mancs will win the League this season, and will strengthen again during the summer without a shadow. Barry is a player we need....and if we don't get our boots on they'll probably buy, just for the feckin' sake of it.

We can sit on our arses, for the next five season's arguing the merits of these sort of buys, but unless we sort our lives out, they'll be on number 21, while we're still dreaming of 19. We can raise enough money from sales this summer, to fund quality emerging English talent such as Bentley and/or Barry or we can sit around like fools expecting things to happen.

Edited by Lee W

Guest Prongsy

Left-back - nailed on, and better than Riise, Arbeloa, Aurelio and Insua (who ?) put together. Keeps the ball very well, two-footed (a bizarre concept, I know) and exactly the mentality we need.

The Mancs will win the League this season, and will strengthen again during the summer without a shadow. Barry is a player we need....and if we don't get our boots on they'll probably buy, just for the feckin' sake of it.

We can sit on our arses, for the next five season's arguing the merits of these sort of buys, but unless we sort our lives out, they'll be on number 21, while we're still dreaming of 19. We can raise enough money from sales this summer, to fund quality emerging English talent such as Bentley and/or Barry or we can sit around like fools expecting things to happen.

Emerging talent... what the f***..

We need players like Amauri, Diego, Aguero, Lahm et al - not Gareth f***ing Barry. He's an average to good player. THAT isn't what we need to be challenging. Laughable, it really is.

He won't be coming as a left back, it'll be in midfield. Not what we need. Same with Bentley. f***ing average players, not world beaters like Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano...

Of course it is, it's a hypothetical based on rumours.

SSN have been communicating with leak-obsessed Hicks over the last few days...

EDIT: And I don't want any feckers photoshopping pictures of Hicks cuddling up to a leak!

Edited by Cam

Emerging talent... what the f***..

We need players like Amauri, Diego, Aguero, Lahm et al - not Gareth f***ing Barry. He's an average to good player. THAT isn't what we need to be challenging. Laughable, it really is.

He won't be coming as a left back, it'll be in midfield. Not what we need. Same with Bentley. f***ing average players, not world beaters like Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano...

Part of the old Liverpool way was to buy fringing or emerging, local international players and have the manager mould them into a squad of world-beaters, which this manager is fully capable of.

...or would you like to argue with that approach ?

Whilst there is obviously room for the likes of Torres, Alonso, Mascherano and Reina, there has to be a balance.

Guest Prongsy
...or would you like to argue with that approach ?

I don't really see much point.

Barry is, and always will be, a bit part international. He's average and will never be world class. He's slow and utterly unremarkable.

I'm not going to comment on him any more than that untill we either buy him, or dismiss it. At which point I'll either hammer Rafa or congratulate him on ducking a bomb.

We've got to get rid of the Yossi/pennant/voronin level of player, not get more.

For 12 million I think this is stupid. Barry isn't good enough as a left back or a central midfielder. I'd much rather we kept the 12 million and put it towards someone like Aguero, Diego, Modric and gave the likes of Guthrie or Plessis a decent shot.

Barry is average at best and not the creative player we need to drive us forward. Even if he is just coming in for Alonso, we can do better for the price.

It is blatantly obvious we need a world class right or left winger and as we're short of funds we don't need to go waste the money on Barry.

I can see where you're going Lee, but in the end I disagree. He's not good enough for our needs, and is not a good buy at £12m for a leftback or a midfielder. I don't think he'd be better at Leftback than Arbeloa or Aurelio (if he stays fit) either - and Insua is the little argentinian star in the ressies - expect to see him get ago or two next season.

Think Bentley provides more end product and obviously goal threat than Pennant, but I agree I'm not sure I'd be spending big on him. He doesn't look much of an upgrade to me either, and he's not that quick which for me is an important box to tick.

His career is really quite similar to Pennant's; he looked a promising young player at Arsenal but never quite made it, succeeded as a bigger fish at a smaller club, and is now looking for the move to a big club again as a more established player.

I was keen on Pennant coming here, but he hasn't worked out and I don't want to see us waste another season with the same happening again. I'd rather we spent really big on one or two players (ie Alves, Diego) and stuck with what we've got otherwise with a couple moving on to pay towards the signings (Pennant, Voronin, Riise).

Riise and Voronin could be replaced in the squad where needed by Nemeth and Insua as backup options.

I still think Pennant has the ability to be a top player, he just doesn't have the mental side of the game mastered. He is hesitant and lacks the confidence to go past players, unfortunately I can see Babel going the same way unless he cops on.

Diego is linked with a 10m move to City today.

If we get Barry and Bantley, we won't have moved any closer to the title. United and Chelsea will do big business again this summer.

Not sounding very good at the minute. This could be a disaster of Houllier preportions.

Jesus! That's an exaggeration of Rashid proportions! Just because we're linked with s**** doesn't mean we're going to sign s****. It's the same every year, we get linked with loads of players. Rafa likes to sign players to fill weak positions and makes lists of players he thinks can do a job there, some of these could be 4th of 5th choice. I'd be surprised if we signed more than one of Barry, Johnson or Bentley.

Has he really had a trial with us?

Yeah, he won a trial on some Norwegian show at 15, we offered him a contract but he chose to stay in Norway, we told him he'd be welcome to come back at any time.

Next person to mention him playing at left back, where he hasn't played for five years and wouldn't be leaving Villa to play again, gets a shoeing.

Is that meant to be a deterrent or tacit encouragement?!

Guest Prongsy
Just because we're linked with s**** doesn't mean we're going to sign s****. It's the same every year, we get linked with loads of players.

No s***!

Because I didn't post 'if', I posted "now that this is a certainty".

I do have to question your sanity, though. 4th or 5th choice? 12m for a 4th or 5th choice player... Come on...

I'm not saying we are going to buy those players, but we've been heavily linked and even Elisha Scott on here alluded too it, so I gave my opinion based on if it happened.

I stick by what I said.

Edited by Prongsy

Guest Anders Honoré
is it possible that he is being bought to play at left back?

been about five years since he played there last though, hasn't it?

In the context the Crouch wouldn't be good enough in terms of improvement to have us challenging for the title, more a sideways buy or marginal improvement on what is already here?

Put it this way. I didn't want us to buy Crouch but now I wish the lanky piss of shyte would stay.

Put it this way. I didn't want us to buy Crouch but now I wish the lanky piss of shyte would stay.

How much of that sentiment was because Crouch was going to be our main striker - and now he clearly isn't ?