By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Liverpool Linked With Gareth Barry on SSN

ChrisC

From the takeover thread:

http://www.ynwa.tv/forum/index.php?s=&...t&p=2081957

"We have some signings for the next season done. They are senior players for the first team and young players for the first team and reserve team. Two of them are really close, young players, and one senior player is done. He talks good English, but is not English. I'm not giving any more clues! You need to look for Bosman players and sometimes you need to do it quickly and go for cheap players."

We're signing Thierry Henry!

On a Bosman? That would be Parry's finest negotiating hour

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me a bit of the Hargreaves sale this. Always been a decent enough player but a few games for England sees his stock rise to such an extent that he becomes overpriced and somewhat over-rated. It's arguable that sometimes you should pay over the odds to get the player you need, as Man United did in summer 2006 when buying Carrick, but do we need Gareth Barry enough to pay anything over £10m for him?

£7-8m is more reasonable; remember watching Sky Sports News a few months ago and after a kid at a children's hospital asked Barry how much he thought he was worth he went on to agree with the child that he was an £8m player.

Barry is very underrated. If you watch him play very closely, he very rarely gives the ball away, is strong in the tackle, score goals but isnt the quickest.

He does not have Xabi's range of passing fair enough but Xabi isnt the quickest is he??

If we have enquired about Barry, I think it can be taken as read the Xabi is going back to spain.

Barry, Modric and a right back, let's say Rafinha, would all be good purchases but the pressing needs in the squad would still be there. Namely out wide. And with Crouch on his way we'd also need a new striker. Helluva lot of money there. And right now we aren't in a position to be spending that

Barry, Modric and a right back, let's say Rafinha, would all be good purchases but the pressing needs in the squad would still be there. Namely out wide. And with Crouch on his way we'd also need a new striker. Helluva lot of money there. And right now we aren't in a position to be spending that

Crouch £8m, Alonso £12m, Riise £3m, Voronin 10p, Carson £7m, Guthrie £3m

Guest Anders Honoré
Barry, whilst slightly better than Riise is still the English Riise - no thanks.

Weird comparison.

Barry is very underrated. If you watch him play very closely, he very rarely gives the ball away, is strong in the tackle, score goals but isnt the quickest.

He does not have Xabi's range of passing fair enough but Xabi isnt the quickest is he??

If we have enquired about Barry, I think it can be taken as read the Xabi is going back to spain.

I agree and Gerrard obviously has a very good understanding with him when they both play for England (much better than with lumpo'lard)

England star Gareth Barry to quit Midlands for Euro dream

..as Kop lead Chelsea & the Gunners in chase

By James Nursey 19/04/2008

(What's this?)Liverpool were put on alert last night when Gareth Barry admitted he could quit Aston Villa this summer to fulfil his Champions League ambitions.

The troubled Anfield club and Champions League rivals Chelsea are both keen to sign the England midfielder, while Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is also an admirer. Liverpool have made firm contact with Villa to register their interest in Martin O'Neill's £14m-rated captain, 27, who has two years left on his £47,000-aweek deal.

And the versatile left-footed star, considered a potential England skipper by Fabio Capello, said: "Every footballer wants to play at the highest level and anyone who says different shouldn't really be in the game or is lying.

"I am 27 and the next two or three years are hopefully going to be the peak of my career and it is a selfish sort of situation. I have been paid well for the last 10 years and anything I do now will be the right thing for my career.

"I want a chance to play Champions League football at some stage." O'Neill plans to offer Barry a new bumper contract to keep him but that might not be enough. "As captain I want to know where the club is heading and what we are looking to achieve next year," he added.

O'Neill admitted: "It is quite natural for someone who is in the England set-up to be a possible transfer target. But I desperately want to keep Gareth."

Mirror

Time to go shopping.

We need offload the dross/unwanted (Benayoun, Crouch, Carson, Guthrie, Pennant and Voronin)

As per the last few seasons, in an ideal world, we still need to bring in 2 full backs, 2 wingers and another midfielder/striker.

Where do we shop ?

Tesco (overpriced English players)

right back: Richards

left back: Bridge

right wing:Bentley/Wright-Philips/Walcott/Lennon

left wing: Young

mid/striker: Johnson/Barry

Marks and Spencer (Risky/High Potential)

right back: Bosingwa, Rafinha

left back: Chellini

right wing: Mancini

left wing: Diego/Robinho/Henry

mid/striker: Modric/Mutu/McCarthy/Gudjohnsen

Harrods (Guaranteed Quality)

right back: Alves

left back: Lahm

right wing: Maxi Rodriguez

left wing: Quaresma

mid/striker: Villa/Berbatov

Come on DIC, hands in pockets time

Think Barry would be an excellent goalscoring replacement for Alonso, if he left. Paired with Masch in our current setup, he'd offer goals, get forward, and we'd have a natural left footer in the midfield, he'd balance us like Agger did at the back. He's a leader on the pitch too, he's big and strong, gets about well, plenty versatile, good in the air, takes a decent pen - to be honest, I see no downside to him whatsoever. Be sad to see Alonso go, but Barry offers a lot of positives.

I can think of 15 Million (didn't he almost go to Pompey for £5M last season?), where has the £10M price change come from?