By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Liverpool Linked With Gareth Barry on SSN

ChrisC

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think Barry would be an excellent goalscoring replacement for Alonso, if he left. Paired with Masch in our current setup, he'd offer goals, get forward, and we'd have a natural left footer in the midfield, he'd balance us like Agger did at the back. He's a leader on the pitch too, he's big and strong, gets about well, plenty versatile, good in the air, takes a decent pen - to be honest, I see no downside to him whatsoever. Be sad to see Alonso go, but Barry offers a lot of positives.

Edited by honourablegeorge

Guest GrandpaSimpson
Think Barry would be an excellent goalscoring replacement for Alonso, if he left. Paired with Masch in our current setup, he'd offer goals, get forward, and we'd have a natural left footer in the midfield, he'd balance us like Agger did at the back. He's a leader on the pitch too, he's big and strong, gets about well, plenty versatile, good in the air, takes a decent pen - to be honest, I see no downside to him whatsoever. Be sad to see Alonso go, but Barry offers a lot of positives.

Not for 12m though.

Sell Crouch, Pennance, Voronin and Benayoun

Buy 3 starters

Alves

Mutu

Quaresma

------------Reina---------

Alves--Carra--Agger--Aurelio

---Mascherano--Alonso

--Gerrard--Mutu--Quaresma

-----------Torres----

Edited by shanks59

If we're looking to improve our overall squad then Barry would be a decent signing. He can play in several positions and chips in with goals. I'd rather have him on the bench than Peasant, Voronin, Kewell, Riise or Benayoun. Would he be prepared to earn a first team place and only be part of the squad ? he could go to other teams and be a bigger fish.

If we're looking to improve our overall squad then Barry would be a decent signing. He can play in several positions and chips in with goals. I'd rather have him on the bench than Peasant, Voronin, Kewell, Riise or Benayoun. Would he be prepared to earn a first team place and only be part of the squad ? he could go to other teams and be a bigger fish.

Surely we can't afford to sign squad players?

Surely we can't afford to sign squad players?

Depends on how many are sold ( given away in some cases ) in the summer. They have to be replaced, hopefully with decent players to give us a better depth to the squad. The squad is far to big anyway IMO. Could be 5/6 out and 3 in.

Depends on how many are sold ( given away in some cases ) in the summer. They have to be replaced, hopefully with decent players to give us a better depth to the squad. The squad is far to big anyway IMO. Could be 5/6 out and 3 in.

Hope the incomers are starters ..

Hope the incomers are starters ..

I think if we get the funds at least one will be. Have a feeling that Skyrtel and Agger will be the CB pairing with Carra either starting at RB are as cover for CB, RB, LB. Could do with better full backs imo. Aurelio is decent but a bit unreliable fitness wise. Arbeloa is a decent squad player but i'd rather RB/LB's who attack more as it gives you more options. A really good winger is needed and one more out and out striker. But i dare say this has all been said before.

Guest Prongsy
I think £12M is a good price for him. Hargreaves was £18M.

Hargreaves was massively overpriced, though. Mascherano was 17m, making Barry 4m.

Heh. Jokes aside, I do think Barry's worth £12M, and think he'd fill Alonso's shoes admirably.

If Alonso leaves, we could do a lot worse with the money. Would prefer a quicker one touch player myself, but Barry is a very good player who would add something welcome and different to the midfield.

De La Red, if only for the name would be my first choice

There is also the option of moving gerrard back and playing someone like Berbatov/ Diego/ VDV behind Torres

With the news about Berbatov defo wanting to leave I wonder how much he would cost. Yes there have been questions about his attitude but there is no doubting his ability.