By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Welcome Darwin Núñez

Frosty Jack

3 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Joyce mentioning again today that Nunez was a Klopp signing and the recruitment team  preferred Nkunku.

I’d say this is the start of him being shipped out. 

Yep was awful against Palace too. Couldn’t hold it up and had his customary sitter. He doesn’t even seem fast anymore.

Yep, looks like Edwards has been on the phone. Could have waited a few weeks, Klopp is still in situ.

7 minutes ago, Cunny said:

he might well do but no use if he's up on bricks all the time

Obviously. But he wasn't injured when he was earmarked. 

1 minute ago, PaulMcC186 said:

Joyce saying he was a Klopp signing. When he signed most of the reports said Julian Ward wanted him, and got him due to his connections in Portugal. 

Joyce did one recently and namechecked the bigger recent signings that were driven by Klopp, with the implication being the choices went against who the recruitment team wanted.

Nunez, Gakpo and I think Diaz. He went on to say all three haven't fully convinced. Kinda feels like Edwards is already back in charge of briefings. 

Edited by Swipe
  • Like 1

I don't know how Diaz gets in the same conversation so often. He might be a less than great finisher but his work and 100% commitment is phenomenal, if they al put in a shift like him we'd still be in the mix.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Murphman said:

I don't know how Diaz gets in the same conversation so often. He might be a less than great finisher but his work and 100% commitment is phenomenal, if they al put in a shift like him we'd still be in the mix.

I might be wrong about him being on that list! I can't confidently remember who it was ffs. 

He was the only one he made any sort of effort last night. Still doesn't score enough, mind. 

3 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Obviously. But he wasn't injured when he was earmarked. 

Joyce did one recently and namechecked the bigger recent signings that were driven by Klopp, with the implication being the choices went against who the recruitment team wanted.

Nunez, Gakpo and I think Diaz. He went on to say all three haven't fully convinced. Kinda feels like Edwards is already back in charge of briefings. 

And Virg saying everybody needs to stick together last night. Hmm.

Just now, Swipe said:

I might be wrong about him being on that list! I can't confidently remember who it was ffs. 

He was the only one he made any sort of effort last night. Still doesn't score enough, mind. 

Over the last few weeks as life has become a misery Diaz is mentioned quite a bit as should be moved on in the summer along with -insert name of last chance saloon shyte player-.

We have dead wood but he isn't.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Murphman said:

Over the last few weeks as life has become a misery Diaz is mentioned quite a bit as should be moved on in the summer along with -insert name of last chance saloon shyte player-.

We have dead wood but he isn't.

He's been one of the better performers recently as we've slid into this slump. I still think his numbers are worthy of discussion, though. 

And most of the chat about him going has come from his Dad fluttering his eyelashes at Barca tbf. 

Nunez is the one I'd 100% sell if we get a decent wedge. But I'd be ruthless about any of them really. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Swipe said:

He's been one of the better performers recently as we've slid into this slump. I still think his numbers are worthy of discussion, though. 

And most of the chat about him going has come from his Dad fluttering his eyelashes at Barca tbf. 

Nunez is the one I'd 100% sell if we get a decent wedge. But I'd be ruthless about any of them really. 

Think Diaz is the most saleable asset of the five, at least to European teams, so that combined with his dad's interview gives the impressive we'd sell and he'd want to go if an offer came in. I'm not actually opposed to that if we had someone better lined up, but only in that case. He's no Mane sadly, but he's a good player who gives his all.

Edited by goodrobotusses
  • Like 1

Crazy stats from The Athletic

This season, Nunez has taken more shots (104) than any other player in the Premier League despite spending more than one-third of the time on the sidelines. In terms of shots per 90 minutes, his total of 4.73 is by far the highest among players who have made more than a handful of appearances. Next come Fulham’s Rodrigo Muniz (4.44), Manchester City’s Erling Haaland (4.0), Tottenham Hotspur’s Richarlison (3.80) and then his Liverpool team-mate, Mohamed Salah (3.72).

Nunez is the worst player in the league for converting big chances since the stat has been recorded. 

I don't think his finishing can get any worse so he'll probably still have a 20 goal season if he stays.

Edited by PaulMcC186
  • Like 1

On 25/04/2024 at 13:08, Hassony said:

For all the 'understandable' Darwin hate, we create far more chances when he's playing well

Don't forget that Glenn Johnson thinks he should be PFA player of the season 

https://www.squawka.com/en/news/glen-johnson-interview-darwin-nunez-alexis-mac-allister/

mate - he said southgate should be considered for Klopps replacement - hes a f***ing puzzle

• Haha 1

Also from that Athletic article

Nunez has been caught offside 30 times in the Premier League this season, again more than any other player. To put it another way, he has been flagged offside once every 66 minutes he has spent on the pitch. To put that in context, he has been caught offside more often than Manchester City (once every 92 minutes).

Haaland has been caught offside just twice all season. That’s once every 1,091 minutes. And while there are obvious differences in style — both between the players and between the teams — one of the biggest differences is their ability to read the play before running onto a through ball. Both are quick enough not to need to set off early. Haaland times his runs brilliantly. Nunez? Not so much.

Edited by Aritro

2 minutes ago, Aritro said:

Also from that Athletic article

Nunez has been caught offside 30 times in the Premier League this season, again more than any other player. To put it another way, he has been flagged offside once every 66 minutes he has spent on the pitch. To put that in context, he has been caught offside more often than Manchester City (once every 92 minutes).

Haaland has been caught offside just twice all season. That’s once every 1,091 minutes. And while there are obvious differences in style — both between the players and between the teams — one of the biggest differences is their ability to read the play before running onto a through ball. Both are quick enough not to need to set off early. Haaland times his runs brilliantly. Nunez? Not so much.

It feels like he's offside every 6 minutes, not 66.

• Like 2

I’m not interested in who signed him or blaming someone 

it’s irrelevant 

he was a terrible buy and he needs to be shipped this summer as he should have been last summer 

Edited by Conrad
  • Like 1

I got caught up with his physical attributes, but at the end of the day there have been loads of sh*t fast and strong players and he’s one of them. Same bracket as the likes of Traore. He’s just not a good footballer.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 01:05, Leo No.8 said:

I got caught up with his physical attributes, but at the end of the day there have been loads of sh*t fast and strong players and he’s one of them. Same bracket as the likes of Traore. He’s just not a good footballer.

He would get away with that if he was even a good finisher (like Halaand) 

He's miles better than the likes of Traore though 

39 minutes ago, Hassony said:

He would get away with that if he was even a good finisher (like Halaand) 

He's miles better than the likes of Traore though 

Honestly I think he might be the worst finisher I’ve ever seen. Perhaps it’s that much more highlighted because he gets so many chances with his pace in this setup, but I’ve never seen a striker miss as many easy ones as him.

I think the missing chances has really got in their heads after the United games - he has been the chief culprit along with Mo but they’ve all been at it.

Nunez, Salah and Diaz are statistically all in the PL Top ten worst finishers which is mad. Mo’s record before and after AFCON is chalk and cheese, he was brilliant before he left and has been appalling since he came back.

Edited by Leo No.8

2 minutes ago, PaulMcC186 said:

Diaz has been a worse finisher than Salah. Can't have him and Nunez in the same team cos they miss too many.

He has been playing really well in terms of his running with the ball etc. but agree he is also a terrible finisher.

The City home game sums him up.

8 minutes ago, Leo No.8 said:

He has been playing really well in terms of his running with the ball etc. but agree he is also a terrible finisher.

The City home game sums him up.

He's had a few games like that. Runs his balls off but doesn't do the most important stuff regularly. He's got 8 league goals, Nunez has 11. That's not good enough.