Sign in to follow this  
New York Red

Ronaldo vs Messi

Zidane was as good as Ronaldo if not better, Henry is close too.

Zidane was different, easier on the eye, but ronaldo is way more effective

You're having a laugh with Henry

Ronaldo is brilliant on crosses including headers. You could play him as a 9, whereas Messi wouldn't be anywhere near as effective in that position.

He played 2/3 seasons there and averaged about 50 goals a season

As a false 9 / actually a #10.

He's the better player but i think Ronaldo is the more complete footballer.

Messi uses his talents effortlessly

Ronaldo has worked damn hard to make the most of his talents

Think Messi plays more with his head too.

Maradona was kicked to bits by the opposition though. Wonder how he would have fared today with much more protection? I'm pretty sure he would have been better than both Messi and Placcy.

As a false 9 / actually a #10.

He's the better player but i think Ronaldo is the more complete footballer.

Being a good header of the ball doesn't make you more complete than being the best goalscorer, best dribbler and best playmaker the game has seen since Maradona.

Messi's passing, vision and dribbling makes him way more complete than Ronaldo who doesn't offer anywhere near what Messi does outside of scoring goals.

Ronaldo is Gerd Muller. Messi is Muller and Zidane rolled into one, but better than either at what they were the best at.

Messi is pretty good for his size in the air, 22 headed goals for barca, including an excellent header againt united in the cl final

Being a good header of the ball doesn't make you more complete than being the best goalscorer, best dribbler and best playmaker the game has seen since Maradona.

Messi's passing, vision and dribbling makes him way more complete than Ronaldo who doesn't offer anywhere near what Messi does outside of scoring goals.

Ronaldo is Gerd Muller. Messi is Muller and Zidane rolled into one, but better than either at what they were the best at.

this is it. messi is a goalscorer and a winger and a playmaker and a midfielder and a captain all bloody rolled into one. he's phenomenal. ronaldo's frankly boring. 

The Real Ronaldo was a better footballer than Cristiano Ronaldo, his body just couldn't keep up.

Basically tore his knee in half in that game v Lazio.

Never really the same again.

He broke the alltime scoring record for a season and calendar year in that position.

91 goals scored for club in country in 2012. That isn't supposed to ever happen. It's more than twice over the tally that would make any other player a legend.

Maradona is unquestionably the greatest footballer ever.

Messi and Ronaldo, brilliant though they are, are not at Maradona's level.

a heavier ball, worse pitches, more aggressive tackling, and Maradona never played in such dominating club sides. He also elevated Argentina from a good but nothing special side, to two successive world cup finals, practically winning the 86 tournament on his own

a heavier ball, worse pitches, more aggressive tackling, and Maradona never played in such dominating club sides. He also elevated Argentina from a good but nothing special side, to two successive world cup finals, practically winning the 86 tournament on his own

The ball wasn't like some old rain soaked leather cannon ball from the 60's.

This is the 1986/7 Napoli squad:

Goalkeepers[edit]Defenders[edit]Midfielders[edit]Attackers[edit]

They had in Garella a keeper who was nowhere as good as the likes of Tacconi, Galli, Tancredi etc.
Ferrara is the only well known defender from the lot in that squad. He however was only 20yrs old at the time.  The others were of good standard.but no one was even close to getting into the Italian national squad.
In midfield the household names were Bagni, an old school crusher and De Napoli who was a very good midfielder. 
They had a decent striker in Giordana but nothing wow. Same with Carnevale. Careca joined in the summer of 1987 when they were champions.

They were always mid-table (10th, 11th) before Maradona arrived. Never out of the top 3 for 5 seasons from 1986-1990. Twice champions. 

This at a time when the Serie A was the richest league in the world. Teams like Juventus, AC Milan etc. had better squads. Maradona near single-handedly took Napoli above all these teams. 

We don't always agree but I'm with you. Though I played matches with an Adidas Tango in the 80's with Nike Tiempos on. That was a different world to the Mitre "5" Multiplex we trained with.

The tackling and the back pass rule nails it for me.

Ah, Serie A in the 90's. Those were the best of times.

They were. I loved it. What a league.

Maradona running with the ball at his feet. He really took the piss out of a lot of defenders. The only was to stop him was to foul him, but even though they tried to cut him down they often failed.

I'm old, so I dig Pele. But Maradona was on a very special level.

Maradona running with the ball at his feet. He really took the piss out of a lot of defenders. The only was to stop him was to foul him, but even though they tried to cut him down they often failed.

https://youtu.be/6iXWtMOwzqk

I'm old, so I dig Pele. But Maradona was on a very special level.

Jesus. I've always had him as the best, and I don't know how anyone could watch that and think differently. I couldn't tell from that film which foot he preferred. Astounding skill & variety.

Jesus. I've always had him as the best, and I don't know how anyone could watch that and think differently. I couldn't tell from that film which foot he preferred. Astounding skill & variety.

Eh?

It's a brilliant video but I don't think I saw it touch his right foot let alone score from it