Sign in to follow this  
Bogman

Xabi Alonso

His long pass skills were a joy to watch. Watching his passing game was as amusing and interesting to me as Suarez making mayhem. 
And always came through as a gentlemean and nice bloke.  My favourite!

I remember his Anfield debut against Norwich I think. Was gobsmacked at the performance

I recall someone on here after that game saying Xabi must saying the field/game/ball like The Matrix.

Genuinely think he changed the game here. Before Alonso only a few players would pass (as opposed to lump) it 50 yards; Gerrard, Scholws, Petit etc. It would happen once every few games and crowds would clap when it came off, occasionally even if it was the opposition team.

Then Xabi came in and just pinged it about whenever he wanted. And wherever. Now every fecker is doing it and it's twenty times each game; it's not a rarity. The Stoke leftback, West Brom's fourth choice centreback... they can all do it.

I started this post as a massive, Xabi-shaped, footballing purity positive. But I'm now thinking he ruined the game. FFS.

Juve away after his broken ankle was a masterful performance. He played an outrageous 1st time pass on the volley to Baros iirc.

Juve away after his broken ankle was a masterful performance.

It was genius. He basically mentally manmarked Nedved.

Xabi wasn't 100% but essentially said to Nedved "I'm your level of player. I may not be fit enough to chase you around the pitch and react to you but I know what you're going to do with the ball, because it's what I would do, and I'll be there before you."

It was chess and Alonso was thinking three moves ahead.

He basically mentally manmarked Nedved.

They say it's a fine line between genius and madness.

Wowzers

If you receive the pass that Cisse did, score and don't immediately thank Xabi, you must be as vain as hell.

So, what has happened to the Lord of the Manor of Frodsham ?

If you receive the pass that Cisse did, score and don't immediately thank Xabi, you must be as vain as hell.

So, what has happened to the Lord of the Manor of Frodsham ?

Lovely first touch to be fair