By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Defence

Jim D

he's not. What the problem is, is that all 4 NEVER play well at the same time. 

Today we had an impressive Moreno & a Lovren who did his best Kirkland impression (letting a ball go straight through him that was right at him).

Maybe conceding so early f***ed their heads, but jesus it's every week (except vs Arsenal) 

Do they even practice defending as a team during training? Go through drills, passages or phases of play, how to head out a high ball, how defenders should communicate between them and goalkeeper? How to keep a disciplined, organized shape?

On recent evidence I don't think they even do.

I find it bizarre that nobody seems to be telling Moreno to stop diving in and selling himself. It's just such a simple, basic, obvious thing that would make him better. And if someone is telling him and he's not doing it then why does he continue to be chosen to play?

Edited by Leo No.8

He plays Moreno for his attacking prowess and I guess plans on gradual improvement in his defensive ability, you can at least see the possible upside.

However, Lovren is still a huge problem. He has no redeeming qualities just like Mig but at least that is one poor influence on the wane now. If Clyne was fit I wonder if he'd give Gomez a go centrally? Any but Lovren, and Klavan.

He plays Moreno for his attacking prowess and I guess plans on gradual improvement in his defensive ability, you can at least see the possible upside.

However, Lovren is still a huge problem. He has no redeeming qualities just like Mig but at least that is one poor influence on the wane now. If Clyne was fit I wonder if he'd give Gomez a go centrally? Any but Lovren, and Klavan.

So anybody except one of our 1st choice & our 1st reserve fellas?

Brilliant.

Most brilliant part is you are absolutely right.

Our recruitment, or lack of, of defensive personnel in the summer is as bewildering as anything I have ever come across in my life, ever.

Still can't get my head around it. What on earth did those in charge expect.

This really isn't anything new. This is how the club has been run for years.

Still can't get my head around it. What on earth did those in charge expect.

I don't know mate. I really, really don't.

"Those in charge" basically means Klopp you'd think.

How anyone, never mind a top European manager, looks at that pool of defenders & thinks that adding one young Scottish left back to it is sufficient, is beyond me.

Yes VVD panned out differently than we hoped but feck me there's got to be more going on than that.

Negligence, utter negligence.

I don't know mate. I really, really don't.

"Those in charge" basically means Klopp you'd think.

How anyone, never mind a top European manager, looks at that pool of defenders & thinks that adding one young Scottish left back to it is sufficient, is beyond me.

Yes VVD panned out differently than we hoped but feck me there's got to be more going on than that.

Negligence, utter negligence.

It's bewildering. I get him being besotted with vvd and thinking he'd be perfect but to not look at what he had and think "well I can't go into next season with this again even if I don't get Virgil" is just perplexing. Edited by Swipe

I find it bizarre that nobody seems to be telling Moreno to stop diving in and selling himself. It's just such a simple, basic, obvious thing that would make him better. And if someone is telling him and he's not doing it then why does he continue to be chosen to play?

There appears to be little communication between them. 2-1 up in a CL game and both Lovren and Moreno switch off at the throw in. They hardly ever anticipate anything. It's all reactive, recovering from positions a Sunday League defender would be in.

The " Can is great " shouts have gone quiet again and the midfield just isn't good enough consistently as a three. Its too easy for the opposition to play it round them.

They'll click again shortly and we lurch back to being confident about the talent within the squad but I think we should switch to a two behind Coutinho, not some fluid three where they don't press as a unit but don't defend as one either.

It's bewildering. I get him being besotted with vvd and thinking he'd be perfect but to not look at what he had and think "well I can't go into next season with this again even if I don't get Virgil" is just perplexing.

Absolutely. There has to have been someone in the £15-20m range that improves on Klavan (& maybe Lovren) irrespective of the VVD situation.

Wimmer, Zouma, Ake etc etc. Or a lad from Europe. Surely.

Any chance Robertson will get a start against Burnley?

If not then f*** knows why he's been dropped after his MOTM performance and his international performance

If not Robertson, stick Milner back there. I'd play Robertson on the left and Milner on the right if it was up to me. Henderson or Can in front of the back 4 with orders not to get more than 10 yards away from the back line.

3 up front is great, but it's not conducive to sound defensive play in midfield or at the back. 

I know it's been said by many, but the players we have available at the back are just not good enough physically or mentally.

There appears to be little communication between them. 2-1 up in a CL game and both Lovren and Moreno switch off at the throw in. They hardly ever anticipate anything. It's all reactive, recovering from positions a Sunday League defender would be in.

The " Can is great " shouts have gone quiet again and the midfield just isn't good enough consistently as a three. Its too easy for the opposition to play it round them.

They'll click again shortly and we lurch back to being confident about the talent within the squad but I think we should switch to a two behind Coutinho, not some fluid three where they don't press as a unit but don't defend as one either.

The bit in bold is the issue to me.