By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Suarez and Evra

WillG

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get it. But for some people racism is ingrained in them and comes bubbling to the top every once in a while. What I am saying us, given where Luis is from, it isn't out of the question. But until I see some solid evidence of it then I am not believing it.

This was by far one of Suarez's more in control matches in terms of his temperament.

suarezlq5f.gif

Over on the ever delightful redcafe, they are using this as proof that Suarez is a racist whilst saying that Evra has never complained about stuff like this before and so it must be true!

Seriously is that it, proves f*** all. Gonna have to do much much better than that.

I get it. But for some people racism is ingrained in them and comes bubbling to the top every once in a while. What I am saying us, given where Luis is from, it isn't out of the question. But until I see some solid evidence of it then I am not believing it.

You do realise what you're saying is pretty racist in itself right? That racism is ingrained into Uruguayan people?

Is it ingrained into Alvaro Pereira or Abel Hernandez?

Are you saying uruguay is more racist than the country you live in ? Or the one I live in ?

I'm struggling with that idea NYR, I really am.

suarezlq5f.gif

Over on the ever delightful redcafe, they are using this as proof that Suarez is a racist whilst saying that Evra has never complained about stuff like this before and so it must be true!

It's hard to tell if he even says anything

thats pretty racist thing to say.

Are you saying uruguay is more racist than the country you live in ? Or the one I live in ?

I'm struggling with that idea NYR, I really am.

Can't speak for Uruguay particularly as have barely been there but certainly the case that in some Spanish speaking countries there are things which would be seen as unacceptable here which are relatively normal: for example I was watching a game on TV a few years ago in Argentina IIRC in which the commentator kept referring to a black player as "El negro."

[To state the blindingly obvious this does not, in any way, shape or form (copyright KD), mean that Suarez is racist or has said something racist.]

Can't speak for Uruguay particularly as have barely been there but certainly the case that in some Spanish speaking countries there are things which would be seen as unacceptable here which are relatively normal: for example I was watching a game on TV a few years ago in Argentina IIRC in which the commentator kept referring to a black player as "El negro."

[To state the blindingly obvious this does not, in any way, shape or form (copyright KD), mean that Suarez is racist or has said something racist.]

I'm sure commentators here have referred to players as black players. Negro is just the Spanish for Black, is it not ? I don't know the context of what you heard or exactly how it was phrased.

I'm sure commentators here have referred to players as black players. Negro is just the Spanish for Black, is it not ? I don't know the context of what you heard or exactly how it was phrased.

Yes absolutely 'negro' just means black but repeatedly referring to a black player in commentary as 'the black' is the kind of thing that even Ron Atkinson 10 years would have shied away from. It was literally just used instead of the player's name.

In fairness to NYR and as you say, there obviously are some cultures in which casual racism is still more prevalent and accepted than is generally the case over here - I'd include somewhere like Australia in that too for what it is worth.

Where he loses it is in intimating that this somehow increases the possibility that Suarez did say something racist since even if racism is a trait found in some of his countrymen there is absolutely no evidence or reason for believing that he shares it.

He has been a professional player for, what 6 or 7 years? Most of them in Europe where he would frequently be playing against black players - yet as far as I'm aware has never been accused of anything similar before.

Evra, on the other hand, has basically been found to be a liar in this regard before and, although it wasn't him who made the accusations against Finnan, nor did he speak out to rubbish them - which is actually even worse in some ways.

I just worry that the FA will be so desperate to please Mr Ferguson and avoid accusations of being 'soft' on racism that they will be looking to do Suarez even if the evidence isn't there - which it won't be, of course.

If that is the clip they are using. I'm sorry but it's weak at best. I've just showed it to my missus and said "look closely and see can you make out what's said here" she hadn't a clue.

Is she an expert lip reader ?

I just worry that the FA will be so desperate to please Mr Ferguson and avoid accusations of being 'soft' on racism that they will be looking to do Suarez even if the evidence isn't there - which it won't be, of course.

No chance. Punish a player for an allegation of racism with no evidence? absolutely zero chance of that happening

Racism is pervasive in Argentina and Uruguay in a way that is unthinkable in the UK or the US. It is blatant and up front and may be completely without malice. Case in point is argentinians routinely referring to Brazilians as monkeys. That southern part of South America is very white European and not as multi cultural as in other places in SA. Terminology like calling somebody "blackie" is not seen as a big deal.

It's not much different in Spain FFS.

If that is the clip they are using. I'm sorry but it's weak at best. I've just showed it to my missus and said "look closely and see can you make out what's said here" she hadn't a clue.

Evra has claimed it is visible at least ten times on camera.

Has to back this up.

You do realise what you're saying is pretty racist in itself right? That racism is ingrained into Uruguayan people?

Is it ingrained into Alvaro Pereira or Abel Hernandez?

That's got nothing to do with it. People threw bananas at John Barnes and at Cyrille Regis before him.

Don't Sky put microphones behind the goals?

If so, it maybe possible to hear what was said.

Someone said on here before (might have been kev)that sky no longer put the microphones at the kop end and concentrate them heavily at the away supporters. So I wouldn't hold your breath.