By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

tonight's movie choice. . .

Stevie H

Saw it last night. An amazing performance from the 5 year old, but the whole point of the movie was lost on me.

Yeah - I didn't like the message from Life of Pi, but at least I understood what they were trying to say. With Beast of the Southern Wild, I really had no idea. It kind of says something about poverty, and kind of says something about parenthood, and kind of says something about conquering fear, but - nicely made film that it was - ultimately I don't think it really said much about anything. - but would be glad to read if someone can point out what I'm missing...

What message didn't you like about Life of Pi, out of interest? Whole film bored me rigid, to be honest.

That there's 2 different stories - one with the tiger, and one without the tiger. Most of the film (and book) is the story with the tiger, but when the people from the Japanese shipping company don't believe him, right at the end he comes up with the 2nd story - the more realistic story, about the chef, and all the murder etc... and he asks "which is a nicer story?" and because the story with the tiger is the nicer story, he says so too is the story of god.

So it's as if to say, it doesn't matter if something is completely unrealistic, and makes no sense (which is a pretty good description of religion) let's believe that story because it's nicer. WTF?

That there's 2 different stories - one with the tiger, and one without the tiger. Most of the film (and book) is the story with the tiger, but when the people from the Japanese shipping company don't believe him, right at the end he comes up with the 2nd story - the more realistic story, about the chef, and all the murder etc... and he asks "which is a nicer story?" and because the story with the tiger is the nicer story, he says so too is the story of god.

So it's as if to say, it doesn't matter if something is completely unrealistic, and makes no sense (which is a pretty good description of religion) let's believe that story because it's nicer. WTF?

Yeah, get you.

Still can't believe he won best director for it.

Think you're dwelling too much on it.

Yes it's up to the viewer to decide but...

Pi's reaction (breaks down into tears) when telling the story (in his house) of Tiger not turning back to look at him for me indicates that the Tiger was the actual one. He was pretty distraught about it.

In addition, he told the same story to the two representatives of the Japanese company, who basically told Pi that they couldn't report that back to their superiors.

So all in all, he gave the two representatives of the Japanese company an alternative story (which they asked him to, which he gave them reluctantly) based on some events of the original story.

I've not read the book though. ;)

Edited by RafaShanks

Think you're dwelling too much on it.

Yes it's up to the viewer to decide but...

Pi's reaction (breaks down into tears) when telling the story (in his house) of Tiger not turning back to look at him for me indicates that the Tiger was the actual one. He was pretty distraught about it.

In addition, he told the same story to the two representatives of the Japanese company, who basically told Pi that they couldn't report that back to their superiors.

So all in all, he gave the two representatives of the Japanese company an alternative story (which they asked him to, which he gave them reluctantly) based on some events of the original story.

I've not read the book though. ;)

It is actually made a fair bit clearer in the book, but slightly more ambiguous in the film (there's a little bit more description of what happened in the boat when it was him, his mother, the chef and the sailor).. Not even sure the bit about the tiger not turning back is in the book. And then even in the film - once you think about it, it's all pretty obvious which story is more plausible: ending up in a life-raft with a zebra, tiger, orangutang and hyena vs. his mother the chef and an injured sailor

220px-Splice-poster.jpg

Splice (2009)

A kind of sci-fi horror with a B-movie feel to it. Really good. Reminded me of The Fly.. Funny, slightly sick, and for once Adrien Brody doesn't come across as a complete d***head (The Pianist excluded as he's great in that).

Basically Brody and his Mrs are geneticists splicing together animals in the lab to create new hybrids for medical research. They then splice using human DNA to see what happens. Cue Cronenberg-style monster madness. :cooler:

Can get a new one from B&Q mate

:badoomtish:

While we were away, I managed to watch Red Dawn (both versions) and Welcome To The Punch.

First Red Dawn - terrible

Second Red Dawn - better

Welcome To The Punch - stunning