Jump to content
By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Welcome Darwin Núñez


Frosty Jack

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, McBain said:

It means when he bangs 3 in opening day you can feel extra joy due to having lower expectations, and we can have a lovely time quoting this post back to you in mildly snide tones. Win win 🏆 

He'll have to score 4 for me to be truly excited.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was a bit apprehensive but I think the price tag was perhaps an influence on that along with his different skill set.

The more I read about him from people that would know (other than bitter mancs on twitter) the more exciting he sounds. Expect he'll be integrated at Klopp's usual pace; only Diaz, Virge and Alisson have been dropped in straight away and been successful really. Patience will be needed, particularly as the tactics will be tweaked to get the best out of him. He's been tracked for years though apparently and there's nobody better qualified to elevate this lad to world class status than Klopp.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Dan said:

I was a bit apprehensive but I think the price tag was perhaps an influence on that along with his different skill set.

The more I read about him from people that would know (other than bitter mancs on twitter) the more exciting he sounds. Expect he'll be integrated at Klopp's usual pace; only Diaz, Virge and Alisson have been dropped in straight away and been successful really. Patience will be needed, particularly as the tactics will be tweaked to get the best out of him. He's been tracked for years though apparently and there's nobody better qualified to elevate this lad to world class status than Klopp.

Heard on the radio that we've been tracking him since he was 15. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Dan said:

I was a bit apprehensive but I think the price tag was perhaps an influence on that along with his different skill set.

The more I read about him from people that would know (other than bitter mancs on twitter) the more exciting he sounds. Expect he'll be integrated at Klopp's usual pace; only Diaz, Virge and Alisson have been dropped in straight away and been successful really. Patience will be needed, particularly as the tactics will be tweaked to get the best out of him. He's been tracked for years though apparently and there's nobody better qualified to elevate this lad to world class status than Klopp.

The big forward signings have got games straight away under Klopp. Salah and Mane were playing every game from the start. Jota was getting plenty of minutes and starts too. I think we'll rotate Jota and Nunez a bit at the start then Nunez will be first choice after 10 games if he looks ready.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kid Klopp said:

I reckon we're signing a taller, stronger and more technically gifted Jamie Vardy (personality unrelated).

Heads to Google translate, converts 'chat s***, get banged' into Spanish. Joke doesn't work. 

He looks quite cheeky in his pics I gotta say

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excerpts from The Athletic Article "Liverpool signing Darwin Nunez is a booming statement of intent"

Quote

There were other suitors, not least Manchester United and Atletico Madrid, but Nunez only wanted Liverpool. He left Benfica in no doubt about that.

The opportunity to play for Klopp was a major factor given the German’s track record for developing talent and elevating players into the world-class bracket. Another was the prospect of walking out at Anfield on a regular basis, having been blown away by the atmosphere during April’s Champions League quarter-final second leg.

Quote

There are thumping headers, aided by his 6ft 2ins frame, and composed close-range finishes with both feet. He has a habit of being in the right place at the right time. He can hold the ball up and he’s also adept at bursting in behind defences, showcasing the physique required to hold off opponents.

Quote

Predominantly, Nunez has been used through the middle by Benfica but he’s more than a conventional No 9. He’s equally effective operating from the left as he cuts inside to wreak havoc.

Quote

Nunez ticks all the boxes for Klopp in terms of having already delivered at a high level but with massive potential to raise the bar further. The character references were also glowing. Nunez’s humility, strong work ethic and burning desire to improve were among the feedback from those who know him best.

Quote

But Liverpool’s belief in his ability is fuelled by the fact he’s already shone at the highest level in the Champions League.  His tally of six goals in 10 games in the competition in 2021-22 included a brace against Barcelona, a goal away at Bayern Munich and the winner against Ajax which sent Benfica through to that last-eight tie against Liverpool.

 

Edited by Aritro
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It makes us weaker in the short term - This is natural as Mane gets us, has been brilliant out wide and at #9, so some patience with this lad will be needed.

BUT - Fixtures out tomorrow.  If the first eight, nine fixtures are kind, then Nunez can be integrated in slowly so he learns the system, what's expected and so on.

In any case, we're no mugs. Diaz, Jota, a fresh Bobby, Mo.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Case said:

It makes us weaker in the short term - This is natural as Mane gets us, has been brilliant out wide and at #9, so some patience with this lad will be needed.

BUT - Fixtures out tomorrow.  If the first eight, nine fixtures are kind, then Nunez can be integrated in slowly so he learns the system, what's expected and so on.

In any case, we're no mugs. Diaz, Jota, a fresh Bobby, Mo.

 

I’m not sure it does make us weaker tbh, I think we’ll still flat track bully our way to wins against the bottom 16 regardless of Mane going - having a physical/aerial presence will help us when teams defend deep and we’d have probably been better off with Nunez ahead of Mane against Tottenham at home and in the CL final

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Florist Cinema Pond Goal said:

I’m not sure it does make us weaker tbh, I think we’ll still flat track bully our way to wins against the bottom 16 regardless of Mane going - having a physical/aerial presence will help us when teams defend deep and we’d have probably been better off with Nunez ahead of Mane against Tottenham at home and in the CL final

You’re talking about a lad who has never played for us versus our top scorer in 2022 who knows everything about how we play and who we play with.

Short term, hopefully not too many games, we’re weaker.

All logic says so.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Case said:

You’re talking about a lad who has never played for us versus our top scorer in 2022 who knows everything about how we play and who we play with.

Short term, hopefully not too many games, we’re weaker.

All logic says so.

It’s not really versus though as we have 4 other established forwards. Mane didn’t always make the starting line up first half of the season 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Hitman said:

Excited to see how he links up with Diaz down the left. A more physical presence in the middle may give him more options.

Might mean more room for Mo and TAA down the right as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Florist Cinema Pond Goal said:

It’s not really versus though as we have 4 other established forwards. Mane didn’t always make the starting line up first half of the season 

Mane was absolutely crucial to our success. He will be a massive loss. The only forward in the team you could rely on to consistently deliver the past 3-4 months of the season

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man imagine being a fan of another team, especially a defender. You’ll have diaz, nunez and Salah, with trent and robbo down the wings. You step out of place for a second, Thiago will find the gap. Step up and Virgil will find Salah. Then just when you think you’ve weathered the storm, jota comes on messing you up again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...