By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Liverpool Football Club v Norwich City - Friday, Aug 9th, 8pm

Case

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see a midfield three of Fabinho, Keita and Ox for this or for any game, thinking it could be gold.

you'd like to see the captain and one of our best players left out tomorrow and two guys who were injured last year start?

It definitely is different. I think starting him would be bordering on negligent, and definitely unnecessary. Bench and twenty minutes.

How is it different ? If they wanted him to genuinely have a pre-season then you don’t bring him back after just 17 days. That’s like a mid season break, it’s not the type of down time that then requires a ‘full pre season ‘ to prepare him.

Just because he gets his 17 days off in the summer nothing mystical happens to his body that wouldn’t happen if he had the break mid season.

Today, Mane is fit and ready to play football at the highest level. He played in a final just over two weeks ago. He will have lost no fitness. The only thing that stops them throwing him straight in vs Norwich is the potential desire to create a full pre season for him , to equip him better for the longer term.

If that’s the case, he probably doesn’t start a game till possibly Arsenal in two and a bit weeks time. But then that would beg the question as to why he wasn’t granted a longer holiday .

I could be wrong , but I don’t think my guess is preposterous. I think they’ve chosen to keep him ticking over and that he will get mini breaks throughout the season . There’s no international tournament for him either next summer.

He’s fit and probably ready but he needs rest and if we can’t rest him for Norwich at home then we really have issues.

I get that but I think that may be afforded him further down the line. For now, it may be better to play him to keep him in rhythm.

But don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to be shocked if he’s nowhere near this starting line up either.

I get that but I think that may be afforded him further down the line. For now, it may be better to play him to keep him in rhythm.

But don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to be shocked if he’s nowhere near this starting line up either.

When is better than now though? It’s the quietest period of the season coming up. We can’t do December onwards, so when?

The last time, league cup progression assumed, that we haven’t got a midweek game this year is the week between Arsenal and Burnley.

Edited by Hightown Phil

When is better than now though? It’s the quietest period of the season coming up. We can’t do December onwards, so when?

The last time, league cup progression assumed, that we haven’t got a midweek game this year is the week between Arsenal and Burnley.

He won’t play in the league cup and expect there to be discussions about getting respite from international games. There are other Norwiches at home to come. Bench him for one or two of them.

We’re not sports scientists but my hunch is that it’s better to have periodic rest rather than longer sustained rest and then non stop work. Who knows.

My fear is that if you treat the opening 4 games as literally Mane’s ‘pre-season’ then you’re going too far backward to go forward. We’ve got a player now who is relatively well rested ( no game in 3 weeks) and who is also in peak condition . Starve him of full games for another couple of weeks and whilst that might have longer term benefits , it could short term mean we don’t see full throttle Mane until quite a few games in.

But not playing him in league cup games is when he gets his normal rest. His summer is extra rest which he hasn’t had. You can’t replace rest he should have with rest he’d have got anyway.

I get that , but I’m not sure why they wouldn’t have just let him have that extra weeks holiday then.

I do wonder if some of the thinking is that next summer he gets to have a serious break.like from mid May til mid July. Unless I’ve forgotten some tournament he’ll be required for.

I get that , but I’m not sure why they wouldn’t have just let him have that extra weeks holiday then.

I do wonder if some of the thinking is that next summer he gets to have a serious break.like from mid May til mid July. Unless I’ve forgotten some tournament he’ll be required for.

From the end of May hopefully.