By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Old Generation love in - any Retro Video Gamers / collectors?

crisps

So as an alt to the next generation love in just wondering what peoples favourite consoles and games of all time are and do you still actively use any older consoles?

Been on a bit of a spree recently and re bought a wii as there's some great games there which are good alternatives if you get a bit bored of our world FPS etc on the latest gens. Also picked up a few GameCube classics for the wii as most can play them.

Other recent acquisitions are a SNES and original gameboy which has had an LED backlight fitted so you can see it in all lighting conditions now. They are awful otherwise!

Other retro consoles I have had since they came out are an original Nes and mega drive! And finally got a dreamcast again not long ago. Some quality arcade games available for it!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have loads mate... All from when I owned them at the time too.. Aside from the mega cd.

You are right about the Dreamcast... Great machine with some brilliant games. metropolis Street Racer (first game I ever worked on), Shenmue, Soul Caliber and House of the Dead 2 to name a few! Got loads of games for it..

Got every game boy released apart from the micro one. Got neo geo stuff too. Love my games... Have to else I get the sack haha

I've been looking to get into this myself. Still think pound for pound the SNES was the best console with the best games. Remember paying £60 for street fighter 2 Turbo without batting an eyelid (paper round money I had saved). Ouch!!

I grew up in a pub - I know exactly what you're on about. Great they were.

I've been flogging loads of old consoles and games on eBay recently - having no idea what was worth any money, it's been great seeing what really flies! One game I thought about not even bothering to sell, I don't even remember buying it, it was a nothing game. Had four 'buy it now' requests in the first half hour of listing it ... eventually went for £60+.

I grew up in a pub - I know exactly what you're on about. Great they were.

I've been flogging loads of old consoles and games on eBay recently - having no idea what was worth any money, it's been great seeing what really flies! One game I thought about not even bothering to sell, I don't even remember buying it, it was a nothing game. Had four 'buy it now' requests in the first half hour of listing it ... eventually went for £60+.

arguably> growing up in a circus (due to the new health and safety laws)

I've got a 1980s 'cocktail table' of games

i.e a sit down Space Invaders plus loads of other games like Phoenix and Pac Man on it

does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm 47, see

Phoenix, what a game and amazing sound effects!

Asteroids, Defender, Donkey Kong, Time Pilot, Sinistar all good on a table top too.

I grew up surrounded by Arcade games.

Phoenix, what a game and amazing sound effects!

Asteroids, Defender, Donkey Kong, Time Pilot, Sinistar all good on a table top too.

I grew up surrounded by Arcade games.

so you grew up on a fairground

you and RP had the best childhoods imaginable

I was too pissed to remember most of it.

Space Invaders and Pacman were the tow best games for the cocktail table format - others didn't really work for me.

The Olympics game (proper arcade game format) was just unbelievable when that first came out - hours of fun.

My favourite 8-bit gaming experience was playing Outrun on a Game Gear in the back of the car on our way on holiday and my dad having to swerve to avoid a fallen tree at about 60 mph, there were loads of people the other side of the tree who ran out of the way as we came barrelling through.

It was basically 90s Oculus Rift.

I think we sold my SNES years ago. I'm massively tempted to get a new one. It was an amazing console. Also it was an age when some games were rock hard. Youngsters today don't know they're born. f***ing savepoints every 5 minutes. In my day when you died at Mario you had to start the level again and eventually the whole game!

I've got a N64 and Gamecube wired up at my flat too. Nothing quite like a bit of retro GoldenEye multiplayer or the Ocarina of Time to bring back memories.

When I first completed the Ocarina of Time my life just felt empty and meaningless. Not ideal really as it was the night before one of my GCSE exams.

I remember a mate coming with me on the same holiday as mentioned above, we brought his SNES with us and completed Super Mario Land while we were away.

We had to phone people back home to tell them what happened at the end.

Brilliant game and hard as nails. I still consider putting the fact that I completed it on my cv.

I think back to loads of games that I had on SNES etc that I just couldn't finish as they were really hard. That doesn't happen these days.

I hated Goldeneye on the SNES - played it for hours when I first got it and it made me feel really sick ... guess it was some kind of motion sickness, caused by the aspect of the game. Never played it again.

Just reading what I wrote there - that's really f***ing sad :lol:

30 years later Elite : Dangerous went live not many days back.

https://store.elitedangerous.com/elite-dangerous-cat/elite-dangerous.html

Been playing it today, well worth the entrance fee. Feels exactly the same as playing the original - mad nostalgia.

we've been playing it using the Oculus Rift in the office... its amazing..

Really makes me want a new version of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter though.

I hated Goldeneye on the SNES - played it for hours when I first got it and it made me feel really sick ... guess it was some kind of motion sickness, caused by the aspect of the game. Never played it again.

Just reading what I wrote there - that's really f***ing sad :lol:

:lol:

I struggle too - cant play FPS games for that exact reason! For some reason the nausea lasts hours - v weird and oh so annoying