Sign in to follow this  
New York Red

The 2018 World Cup

problem with that Brazil team was their lack of a decent No.9 - imagine if they'd have had Ian Ruch?

So... Russia 2018 the best WC ever or something else? In my lifetime its the best ever (1986-2018)

98 the best that I can remember. Final was a blowout but it was fantastic upto that point.

Also, the Brazil team that never won, but which was arguably the best side they ever had, with Ziko, Socrates, Eder, Falcao in ‘82 was a joy to watch.

This, for me. I was obsessed by Socrates. Was it his header that Dino Zoff saved on the line or something? I remember running off crying to my room when Italy beat Brasil.

I might be mixing a couple of them up, but Holland with Neeskens and Cruijff, Germany with Gerd Müller and Beckenbauer and Argentina with Kempes (and that’s probably where I mix two WCs up). Also, the Brazil team that never won, but which was arguably the best side they ever had, with Ziko, Socrates, Eder, Falcao in ‘82 was a joy to watch.

1974 was Holland with Cruyff, Neeskens, Rensenbrink, Haan, Krol, Rep, Van Hanegem, Suurbier, Rijsbergen and the f*cking madman Jongbloed amongst others. They had pretty much the same squad in 1978 minus Cruyff (playing for DC) but plus the Van der Keerkhof brothers.

1978 was Kempes, Luque, Ardiles, Passarella, Fillol, Bertoni, Olguin, Tarantini etc. They were way better than 1974 Argentina though that team had the Brit descendants, Rene Houseman and Carlos Babington. The Autumn after they won in 78, Argentina played England at Wembley and a 17 year old Maradona absolutely tore it up. It was incredible that they didn't have him in the WC squad.

Thought I mixed ‘74 and ‘78, so thanks.

There was a Maradona documentary before the WC. Apparently Maradona was their best player in ‘78, but the Argie president vetoed the inclusion of Maradona in the WC squad because he played for the wrong club.

"Boca y Peron, un solo corazon"? But Maradona didn't join Boca Juniors until 1981.

I thought I'd heard (ages ago TBH) it was Menotti who left Maradona out, despite military pressure to put him IN.

There does seem to be some substance to the idea that Julio Cesar Menotti wouldn't pick Boca Juniors players, despite them being South American champions. This may have been because Menotti didn't like Juan Carlos Lorenzo or because the government told him not to (or both).

Rafa Benítez was offered the chance to take charge of Spain for the World Cup finals after the dramatic dismissal of Julen Lopetegui two days before the country’s opening match in Russia.

Edited by Candystore