By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Diego Cavalieri

Walrus

Video

This lad seems like a proper keeper based on the above clip at least.

Wonder if he'll be happy to be second choice for Pepe for long. I do realise that these compilations can make anyone look good (bar perhaps Luke Chadwick), but Cavalieri seems highly rated and I just wonder, whether Rafa will give him enough games to keep him happy or is it another case of keep him for a season, loan him out for a year or two and then sell him on.

In that sense you'd think that sigining someone like Niemi or Taylor would maybe have made more sense, as they will not be knocking on the manager's door if they only get a few games a year.

Anyway, my main point was that I've never seen/heard of him before, but he looks a very good keeper and Rafa must rate him highly if he's willing to pay something like £3M for him.

is that him taking the free kick or saving it? love it if he takes a free kick.

It's Rogerio Ceni from Sao Paolo taking the free kick, he's scored about 50 odd goals during his career. Cavalieri is making the save.

I've got a couple of friends in Brazil and should be speaking to them this weekend so I'll try and get the low down on what they think of him but from what I've seen on you tube and read on various forums he is well regarded.

It's Rogerio Ceni from Sao Paolo taking the free kick, he's scored about 50 odd goals during his career. Cavalieri is making the save.

I've got a couple of friends in Brazil and should be speaking to them this weekend so I'll try and get the low down on what they think of him but from what I've seen on you tube and read on various forums he is well regarded.

Give Adolf and Josef our regards...

I emailed the wife's Uncle Jaap who lives in Sao Paolo to ask him about Cavalieri. After three days he replied with 'He's good'. Well, that's fine then.

Give Adolf and Josef our regards...

I emailed the wife's Uncle Jaap who lives in Sao Paolo to ask him about Cavalieri. After three days he replied with 'He's good'. Well, that's fine then.

eh?

I spoke to one of them last night and he says he's got a lot of potential. If it hadn't been for Marcos he'd have been playing regularly and been in the Brazil squad. Very good shot stopper, quick off is line and has a presence about him making it difficult in 1 on 1s. He could be more decisive when coming from crosses but I guess he can learn that from Reina. One of his friends who he was with also said he was good and we've got a great GK saying he'll displace Reina by the end of the season altho I'm not confident he's seen Reina play!!

• 2 weeks later...

From the Tim Vickery column on the BBC

I was wondering if you could shed any light as to the potential of the new Liverpool goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri. Brazil is not exactly renowned as a hotbed for good goalkeepers with the possible exception of Taffarel. The most recent high-profile Brazilian keeper, Dida does not exactly inspire confidence.

Mike Byrne

I think your comments on Brazilian keepers are a bit out of date - and harsh on Dida, despite the odd blunder. I agree, Taffarel was great, but there's no doubt that Dida did more in Europe, and he had an excellent World Cup as well. In recent years Brazil has become a hotbed of keepers - they are now exporting them all over Europe, and it's no coincidence. They've worked really hard at their goalkeeping preparation, and lots of their keepers now are big and athletic.

Personally I don't rate Diego Cavalieri among the best of them. In my view he's good but not great - certainly not one of the most athletic keepers. In fact he's reminded me of a Brazilian Paul Robinson. I also wonder about the fee. He lost his place at Palmeiras to Marcos, Brazil's 2002 World Cup keeper who had a bad run with injuries. Marcos is a top keeper, but he is now a veteran. Diego was a back up to a 35-year-old, and I'm not sure this fact is reflected in the fee.

From the Tim Vickery column on the BBC

I was wondering if you could shed any light as to the potential of the new Liverpool goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri. Brazil is not exactly renowned as a hotbed for good goalkeepers with the possible exception of Taffarel. The most recent high-profile Brazilian keeper, Dida does not exactly inspire confidence.

Mike Byrne

I think your comments on Brazilian keepers are a bit out of date - and harsh on Dida, despite the odd blunder. I agree, Taffarel was great, but there's no doubt that Dida did more in Europe, and he had an excellent World Cup as well. In recent years Brazil has become a hotbed of keepers - they are now exporting them all over Europe, and it's no coincidence. They've worked really hard at their goalkeeping preparation, and lots of their keepers now are big and athletic.

Personally I don't rate Diego Cavalieri among the best of them. In my view he's good but not great - certainly not one of the most athletic keepers. In fact he's reminded me of a Brazilian Paul Robinson. I also wonder about the fee. He lost his place at Palmeiras to Marcos, Brazil's 2002 World Cup keeper who had a bad run with injuries. Marcos is a top keeper, but he is now a veteran. Diego was a back up to a 35-year-old, and I'm not sure this fact is reflected in the fee.

Tim Vickery doesn't rate anyone...FACT

Considering his fee may of been a better option to keep Carson for another year with the hope Martin continues to improve - we are talking here of keeper who may play less than half a dozen games all season

Carson didn't want to stay, and his price would have been even less next summer

Tim Vickery doesn't rate anyone...FACT

not true

he sees more south american footy than anyone on these forums

he generally rates players fairly accurately and without any sensationalist language

I'm not saying he's right about everything but I think his opinion should be respected as it will be more informed than most.

not true

he sees more south american footy than anyone on these forums

he generally rates players fairly accurately and without any sensationalist language

I'm not saying he's right about everything but I think his opinion should be respected as it will be more informed than most.

Agree, he is a brilliant journalist

I think he had some good words to say about Lucas, but wasn't sure if Leto was good enough for us (which is right)

I think Vickery is a very good judge of a player in terms of ability and adaptability to Europe, he knows his onions.

Yep he called it right with Paletta too saying he should have stayed in South America for a couple more years.