By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The under-par golf thread

Murphman

2 hours ago, libero said:

I lost what little respect I had for Faldo when at St Andrews in 1990, we were there really early on the Friday and walked down the course, Faldo and Fanny came out of the hotel and walked across the fairway.

Was only a small path so we moved out of the way to let them passed, Faldo about 10 paces ahead of Fanny.

We all said "Morning" as he went passed.

He never broke breath to us and when Fanny came passed she apologised about him and said good morning to us, he was still striding away.

Civility costs f*** all, he was about 4 hours prior to his tee off.

Us Scots use Fanny as slur and that morning he most definitely was.

I was 12yrs old waiting for his autograph on the practice green in Fulford in York, I waited patiently and all I got for my patience was a f*** off from him as he walked straight past me, the c***.

Edited by Rex Ham
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Rex Ham said:

Shouts for the Open then...?

Going to wait until after the cut to part with cash but I fancy McIlroy, Willett, Schauffele

I'll wait to close of play today but there's more than usual due to favourable conditiona

BDC absolutely taking the piss with the rules there at 17. Smashes it miles left off the tee into a gorse bush. Claims a free drop as a grandstand is in his way between him & the flag. Gets the free drop, puts it on clear ground and smacks it over the grandstand.

Escapes with a par. Nonsense.

22 minutes ago, Tommok said:

Yeah even at the end there. 

Finishes 3rd.

What did you want him to do there? 

The winner shot -8 

Mcilroy couldn’t get it going today. Neither could Hovland - roles reversed from Saturday v Young & Smith.

that’s sport, Brian.

but a guy shooting 16pars and 2 birdies hasn’t ‘shat it’

6 minutes ago, Tommok said:

He missed a pretty straightforward putt at the end there didn't he? 

He didn't putt well in general today. 

No

and

he didn’t sink anything, he narrowly missed a number of putts

Smith produced one of the all time great final 18 holes in the Open history 

16 minutes ago, Cobs said:

No

and

he didn’t sink anything, he narrowly missed a number of putts

Smith produced one of the all time great final 18 holes in the Open history 

Yes he did - in what world was that not a straightforward putt (for a world class professional golfer obviously)? 

And how is "he didn't sink anything he narrowly missed a number of putts" any different from "he didn't putt well"??

As for your last point - yeah obviously Smith played an absolutely amazing round but that doesn't change my point above that Rory "didn't putt well in general today" in the slightest. 

Edited by Tommok

19 minutes ago, Tommok said:

Yes he did - in what world was that not a straightforward putt (for a world class professional golfer obviously)? 

And how is "he didn't sink anything he narrowly missed a number of putts" any different from "he didn't putt well"??

As for your last point - yeah obviously Smith played an absolutely amazing round but that doesn't change my point above that Rory "didn't putt well in general today" in the slightest. 

He didn’t 3 putt anywhere iirc. He had loads go v close from huge distances, his length judgment was excellent- just couldn’t get them to drop.

and that putt on 18 was anything but straight-forward - it’s the 18th green at St Andrew’s you think it’s flat ? He knew he was done anyway at that point - I wouldn’t have blamed him for smashing it into the crowd tbh.

4 minutes ago, Cunny said:

sounds like Cameron Smith is about to join LIV Tour - what a shame

they've got to ban these lads from the majors and Ryder Cup

Stenson being stripped of the Ryder Cup captaincy as he’s joining the LIV tour

4 hours ago, Cobs said:

Stenson being stripped of the Ryder Cup captaincy as he’s joining the LIV tour

They reckon some big names are all about to now the open is out the way. Hideki being offered something like £350m. 

Loads of Aussies including Scott, Leishman and maybe Smith. Hope the latter doesn't go.