By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

What are you listening to right now

Sir Tokyo Sexwale

On 29/12/2022 at 19:18, pipnasty said:

A theory

I reckon that Baker Street would be a great song if it wasn't for the sax bits

I am fine with the sax tbh, but I like the theory you’re driving at. Are there any other famous tunes which are wrecked by production decisions? 

4 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

I am fine with the sax tbh, but I like the theory you’re driving at. Are there any other famous tunes which are wrecked by production decisions? 

Shack's debut Zilch album done absolutely zero favours by Ian Broudie. Great songs with some really jarring production.

• Like 1

What do you all listen to when you’re reading? I can’t be having anything with lyrics as it’s too distracting. I usually go ambient like a bit of Khruangbin or Floating Points but have recently been jazzing it up a bit. 

I can’t play jazz in the house when the missus is about so it’s a nice way to sit with the headphones on and listen to a bit of John C or the likes. 

7 minutes ago, Tobes Rafa said:

What do you all listen to when you’re reading? I can’t be having anything with lyrics as it’s too distracting. I usually go ambient like a bit of Khruangbin or Floating Points but have recently been jazzing it up a bit. 

I can’t play jazz in the house when the missus is about so it’s a nice way to sit with the headphones on and listen to a bit of John C or the likes. 

Often nothing if its a book as I lose concentration, if other stuff then more electronic and bits of classical or soundtracks.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2023 at 15:07, Jarg Armani said:

I've always loved the songs on Billy Bragg's second album but the production is arguably the least sympathetic on any album I've ever heard. The only bright spot on the whole record from a production point of view is the lovely horn accompaniment on The Saturday Boy.

Edited by charlie clown
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tobes Rafa said:

I'd rather read when it's quiet. But on the odd occasion when I have some music on for it, it's definitely instrumental or non-English vocals. So jazz, classical (piano sonatas in particular), electronic, ambient. I really love a bit of medieval-style choral music - even if it's relatively modern (like Benjamin Britten's Ceremony of Carols) it's often in Latin or Old English but I've got other stuff in German, Polish, Dutch etc. All works for me.

• Love 1

Kinda 'discovered' the music of Kristin Hersh over the past few weeks - f*** me, where has she been all of my life? Like, Throwing Muses just wasn't my thing at all at the time and I kinda dismissed them and her but I've been listening to Wyatt at the Coyote Palace and Possible Dust Clouds and have been completely blown away. Her books on Vic Chestnut and motherhood are equally as dense, mysterious and absolutely astonishing too. 

8 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

Yeah, I used to listen to Throwing Muses, Belly and her solo stuff a lot but completely lost track of her output these last fifteen-twenty years or so. Been meaning to get hold of one of her books for ages too and never got round to it. Just not enough time...

Her last couple of albums are stunning - seems like she has been consistently good for a long time which means that there is a lot for me to discover.

• Love 1

I dug out an old Impressions album at the week and gave it a spin.  What a band they were. Real trailblazers. They did the full journey from doo-wop to 'conscious' soul.

Curtis Mayfield was one of the best of us (edit: need to qualify that with an acknowledgement that he was a serial adulterer and abuser).

Edited by charlie clown

24 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

I dug out an old Impressions album at the week and gave it a spin.  What a band they were. Real trailblazers. They did the full journey from doo-wop to 'conscious' soul.

Curtis Mayfield was one of the best of us (edit: need to qualify that with an acknowledgement that he was a serial adulterer and abuser).

A musical god

Spent most of the weekend re-ripping a boat load of CDs I have in the loft.

They were done about 10+ years ago to a quick and dirty MP3. I've now got some decent speakers (and hopefully SONOS will finally bring out their headphones) so I've ripped them lossless. The sound difference is clear even to my old ears